Ammo Can In Airplane Luggage?

Thrasher22

Being someone who flies quite often, and who is trained in explosives, I would advise against. Airports now have security devices that ''smell'' explosives and explosives residue. And you might encounter a four legged animal trained to sniff them out as well. Now ammo cans aren't normally used to carry high explosives but the propellant in small arms ammo might turn your departure into a nghtmare of body cavity searches. If you really want to bring them with you, call the airport and inquire about it. You could also try your local police bomb squad or army base, and ask to have it certified ''free from explosives''.

But I would go with tupperwares:)

Frank

HEY . . . how do you log a cache at 30,000 feet & 600+ MPH . . . the difficulty & terrain are off the scale, right? :unsure:

Sure, Superman could do it. I am sure . . . how do I break it to my wife that I can't log the cache? It will break her heart to learn the truth . . . don't do it, please! :blink:

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

Hmm, you guys got me worried a bit. I was expecting answers like "No problem, it's just a box". :unsure:

I really want to bring these cans with me to Europe, because they have no such things there and I want to place some good caches.

What if I tried to wash it really good to get rid of any possible explosive residue? :blink:

I really want to bring these cans with me to Europe, because they have no such things there and I want to place some good caches.

You can definitely get ammo boxes (from small to massive!) in Ireland - in camping and army surplus stores. Pretty sure you can get them in the UK too....

I have personal experience in this area. I flew from PA to GA and made up an ammo can as a birthday present. The ammo can was in my luggage, not carry on. When I got to Atlanta they lost the luggage so I had to come back two days later to pick it up at the airport. When I picked up the luggage it still had the ammo can in the luggage. I than proceeded back to PA with the ammo can in my luggage and it made it safely home.

BTW: I showed it to the airport personal when I checked in and my trip was August of 2004.

Edited by LadeBear68

It is usually no problem if you let the airport personnel know ahead of time what it is and have them inspect it. Most of the ammo cans that you would have would probably have most of the residue already gone from them by the time you could possibly have them (if there ever was any to begin with), even if there is some, as long as it has been inspected and you have told them ahead of time, you should not have any issue. DO NOT try to carry them on the plane, make sure that they go through the luggage.

I'm not sure why you would think that they don't have them in Europe? Many of the NATO countries actually purchase their ammuntion from the U.S. and it is almost certainly shipped in ammo cans. They have to do something with them when they are expended?

Doc

Edited by docdigit

I really want to bring these cans with me to Europe, because they have no such things there.

!

What countries are you going to? Army surplus shops are pretty common, ammo boxes easy to get e.g in UK http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=115802

I'm travelling to Slovakia. I've never heard of any ammo cans there and I haven't seen any geocache in this container there. There's not too many hunters there (almost none compared to Canada :blink: ) and I don't know what the army uses or if it's for sale. :unsure:

Slovakia is a fairly recent addition to NATO. It spends about $400 million annually on it's military which would indicate that it probably doesn't buy a great deal from the U.S. but depends instead on European producers (or only purchase a very small amount from the U.S.) Since it really is a fairly new player, it's doubtful that you WOULD find any ammo cans for sale there (if the European counterparts are using them instead of boxes at this point.) A great deal also depends on the type of weaponry that the Slovakian army primarily uses and how much or if they train locally with practice rounds.

You are probably better off bringing a can or two with you.

Doc

(I'm sure Czechs would know the situation as well).

those army things are all greek to me, but there was going a talk at czech forums about some store in prague that could spare you those bc searches. it's more than a year ago, but i'd say it sounds a bit english to haggaeus, so you should try to ask him about the score.

http://www.m1armyshop.cz/

map

50°4.600' N 14°27.167' E

Edited by bartj

They are perfectly legal to buy, own, and use. I see no problem with putting them in luggage at all.

Worst thing that will happen is they will see them in there through the x-ray machine and open your luggage to inspect it, but then again they do that often these days anyway.

I say, put a Geocache sticker on the side, print off the Congrats you found it sheet, put it in your luggage and let them find the cache!

They are perfectly legal to buy, own, and use.

There are lots of things that are legal to own but you can't take on an airplane, even in checked luggage.. Check out the TSA site and you'll see lots. But also different airlines around the world have different rules.

I'd suggest checking with the TSA and your airline before doing it. The hassles you might get at the airport are simply not worth being wrong. Ask my wife who had two National Guard troops pointing automatic weapons at her over a pair of 2" long blunt end scissors in her carry-on in Orlando a year ago.

JDandDD

The TSA list is here. Your wife will be happy to know that as long as her two-inch scissors have blunt tips, she can now carry them onto the plane.

As far as the ammo box goes, it is clearly allowed. In fact, those airlines that allow you to check ammunition would require it to be 'securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.' That kinda sounds like an ammo box, to me.

Your wife will be happy to know that as long as her two-inch scissors have blunt tips, she can now carry them onto the plane.

Yep, and she has done that but that sure is an experience that you don't forget. She had to sit in a chair and not move while several officials determined whether the items were a weapon or not. So now we check and then double check before flying. Some of the rules do change over time and what's OK now may not be in a month and vice versa.

Here's the CATSA info for Canada: CATSA web site

The rules are somewhat different up here so its a good idea to check the TSA (or equivalent) of where you are flying and the airline you are on.

JDandDD

There are lots of things that are legal to own but you can't take on an airplane, even in checked luggage..

Once again, IT'S JUST A BOX.

While it true the TSA has done some really, really stupid things post 9/11 (banning lighters but not matches for example, or just listen to any of Harry Shearer's Tales of Airport Security on Le Show for more mind-bendingly asinine actions), banning empty boxes isn't one of them.

I'm not sure why you would think that they don't have them in Europe? Many of the NATO countries actually purchase their ammuntion from the U.S. and it is almost certainly shipped in ammo cans. They have to do something with them when they are expended?

This has to be an joke.

What Ammo should we by from the US?

You don't have any 7,62 mm Ammo wie could use and the 5,56 mm we get where we get the 7,62 mm Ammo.

And Ammo is shipped in wooden crates.

Here in Europe and the rest of the world.

But you can by every Ammocan you like the in Europe.

Why do you think that we have no weapons here?

We have some of the best Weapon making Companys.

There are lots of things that are legal to own but you can't take on an airplane, even in checked luggage.. Check out the TSA site and you'll see lots. But also different airlines around the world have different rules.

I'd suggest checking with the TSA and your airline before doing it. The hassles you might get at the airport are simply not worth being wrong.

Thats good advice, check first. It isnt about whether the rules make sense, its about avoiding trouble, or causing alarm. If there is is gunpowder residue, the dogs can detect it. I'm sure that most dont, but "most" is not "all".

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
This has to be an joke.

What Ammo should we by from the US?

Well...I don't think so....

FMS

...I'm somewhat familiar with the subject...

Doc

Your link tells that the US allows the Wepaon export to some places.

Look at this Link about the world’s top small arms producers and then tell me again what you mean with your joke.

Western Europe

And i think i know better what we sell here in Europe.

According to this report you can buy a tank in Slovakia for US $2k, so surely empty ammo boxes are available!

It says it costs the army $2000 to destroy a tank, not that you can buy a tank in Slovakia for $2000.

Thats right. The Tank cost more or less about 1 million or more €

But they have a lot of empty handgrenade- and minecanes because you can buy them for an buck or two.

And this is not an joke!!!

world’s top small arms producers

What have THEY got to do with ammo cans (usually 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, 40mm and 50mm ammunition, though 30, 40 and 50 are usually packed in much larger containers?) These would be made by medium caliber ammunition producers. In the United States the top producers for this ammuniton are Alliant Technologies and General Dynamics. In Canada it is SNC. ALL ship to foriegn customers in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, so you SHOULD be able to find ammo cans just about everywhere.

Doc

What have THEY got to do with ammo cans (usually 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, 40mm and 50mm ammunition, though 30, 40 and 50 are usually packed in much larger containers?) These would be made by medium caliber ammunition producers. In the United States the top producers for this ammuniton are Alliant Technologies and General Dynamics. In Canada it is SNC. ALL ship to foriegn customers in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, so you SHOULD be able to find ammo cans just about everywhere.

Doc

First of all. Ammo is never shipped in metallcans. It's always shipped in wooden crates. You should know this.

And here some links of some companys that build your ammo we need.

Diehl

Rhein Metall DeTec

Rheinmetall Defence

Ruag

So why should we buy the more expensive stuff from the US when we can buy it here?

And do you work anywhere at a place that sells or buys this kind of ammo that you would know what we buy here in europe?

Ammo is never shipped in metallcans

Incorrect - it may be crated, but if it is linked, it is usually shipped in cans.

and Yes.

Doc

So where do you work that you know it?

And pls show me where they ship ammo in metal cans.

And with shipping i mean the long transport to the depot or from it. Not the short transport in the field.

I have no intention of revealing to someone that I don't know my place of employment, nor one of our Government contracts (yes all contracts, even with foriegn entities must still go through the United States Government) that states the shipping terms. Suffice it to say that I have worked in this particular industry for over eight years. You are OT, my point remains, that United States manufactured ammo cans ARE available throughout Europe.

Doc

You are OT, my point remains, that United States manufactured ammo cans ARE available throughout Europe.

Doc

They are there because of the US armed forces here in europe. Not because we buy any of the ammo.

And the guys were talking about the small ammo cans not about 120 mm HOT Cans.

But i wan't say anything about it anymore because i know the weapons that are used here and i know where we get the ammo from.

Look at my links.

And by the way here in Europe we invented the Reactiv Amor and the ammo against it.

There do not seem to be any restrictions on the TSA's www site against placing empty metal boxes in luggage, carry-on or checked. In most cases you can take this to mean that it is permissible to do so.  :D  :P  :D  :lol:  :D  :P

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/P...bited_Facts.doc

It does appear as though you will be required to check the actual ammo part along with your brass knuckles.  :o

Not now, that's true, but those rules change a lot. My point wasn't about now but in general to check the TSA (or equivalent) site for your country. If the rules changed prior to your travelling it wouldn't look good. Also, if its a surplus ammo box (most likely), it may contain microscopic residue (also likely). That could trigger alarms and then all you have is hassles. The issues are more about preparation prior to travel to make sure you are right and asking yourself if the hassle is really worth it.

JDandDD

Also, if its a surplus ammo box (most likely), it may contain microscopic residue (also likely). That could trigger alarms and then all you have is hassles.

Thats what it is.

I ask someone that took some war stuff with him on an plane.

The Problem wasn that it was metal.

The Problem was that it had some microscopic parts of explosive still on the metal.

And he cleaned the Metalparts proberly.

I have had to carry expended ammunition and primers on planes in my luggage (imagine the residue!) Just make sure that you tell the people checking your luggage and have them open the box and review the contents to make sure that it is empty and only contains trace amounts and you should be fine.

Doc

I'm travelling to Slovakia.

That's like driving to Wisconsin. Do you have a local who will maintain the cache for you?

Hmmmm speaking of rules, did you check the guidelines regarding the placement of vacation caches? I'd hate for you to go through all that trouble and only to have your caches rejected.

I will not be placing a "vacation cache". I just want to replace my old cache, which is already adopted by a local person and he will also take care of it.

I have had to carry expended ammunition and primers on planes in my luggage (imagine the residue!) Just make sure that you tell the people checking your luggage and have them open the box and review the contents to make sure that it is empty and only contains trace amounts and you should be fine.

Doc

In the US or to europe?

And before or after 911?

Europe Weapon and Ammolaws a little bit more strikt.

Try to fly from Frankfurt Airport with ammo in your luggage.

I will not be placing a "vacation cache". I just want to replace my old cache, which is already adopted by a local person and he will also take care of it.

So why don't you send him the money so he can buy an new box and replace it with you.

That cache has some "sentimental" value for me. It was my second cache ever and it was never found by anyone and I really like the place where it is placed, I have nice memories of that spot. That's why I want to go there and do something for the cache myself.

So why don't you send him the money so he can buy an new box and replace it with you.

That cache has some "sentimental" value for me. It was my second cache ever and it was never found by anyone and I really like the place where it is placed, I have nice memories of that spot. That's why I want to go there and do something for the cache myself.

I didn't question this.

But i thought that it would be nice if you do it with the person there that takes care of the cache.

Go together.

In the US or to europe?

And before or after 911?

3 months ago, Heathrow...but it WAS a direct flight which probably makes a difference. If it (your baggage) has to go through more than one airport security and customs check there may be a problem, even though it would probably have that little "U.S. Inspection" Card stuck in it (like mine did.)

Still, I take the things back and forth through Canada all of the time...

Doc