Distance Between Multi Stages -- How Far?

Thot

Is there a custom on how far the stages of a multi cache must be apart before you mention it in your description? If so, what is this distance?

If not, I propose a custom be adopted that if all of the elements/stages are not within a 1 mile circle this be mentioned. And, if they are not within a 10 mile circle this statement be made "Some stages of this cache are 10 miles or more apart."

Edited by Thot

While I agree it would be nice to know, I don't think we should make a rule. It the hider does not wish to give this info, that's OK and you can decide not to go. He will have less people going after his cache. Others who give the info will get more hits.

Also, you could email him or others who have found it to get the info.

It the hider does not wish to give this info, that's OK and you can decide not to go. He will have less people going after his cache. Others who give the info will get more hits.

I think it's the other way 'round. I would never tried a recent cache if I had known the distance from the first stage to the second was 9 miles and I suspect others wouldn't either. I would have decided not to go if he had not omitted that little piece of information. So, people who have large distances between stages and say it in their description are likely to have fewer hits if they notify others. However if they hide this information, people can't know until they have gone to the trouble of finding the earlier stages. Once you've invested the time to find the earlier stages you don't want to throw away the effort, so there's an inclination to put more drilling rod in the hole.

Well, since we haven't done a poll you could be right too. However, I ssupect like me I won't do a multi not knowing how long or how far I have to hike. People with small children etc won't either and won't even start knowing they do not know in the beginning.

If it's not a rule, then the only custom you could have is to include it on your cache page however you wish to state it.I hid a lot of multi's which included road tours as well as hikes. I always post the mileage and then usually state the hike in. My theory is I'll get more hits that way.

Edited by Alan2

Topic: Distance between multi stages, how far?

My answer- I started one that was listed at being a total of 45 miles start to finish and the cache owner made it clear on the page how far you would drive since it was a route he took to and from work every day. So each stage was at least 2 or 3 miles apart if not more. It was archived when the gas prices shot up after Katrina

I'd think it would be courteous to post the distance in the cache description, particularly in some circumstances. Example: a multi placed on a walking path. It would be courteous to know if the second or later stages were a mile or more away - or in some other area NOT on the path.

Another example would be if travel between stages required driving.

Of course, courtesy is an uncommon commodity these days.

I agree, it would be a nice thing to mention if the stages are more than "x" Miles apart. I had to turn down a local multi, and haven't been back, because stage one was in an area I visit. Stage two was out of my way, and it will probably be a long time before I go there.

On my own multi cache, I don't explicitly say it, but I mention that the entire cache is on the same dead end road.

I think it would be courteous to put the distances on long multistage caches. I really hate multis that you have to drive 10 miles to get to only to have the re-direct send you 30 miles further on, especially when the first stage involved solving a puzzle.

Maybe not a rule but certainly a convention for courtesy's sake.

JDandDD

I tend to avoid multi-caches unless I know how far I'm going to be walking/hiking/driving, and preferably in which direction. I think it would be nice to state the approximate distance in the cache description, but I don't think owners should be under any obligation to do so. In some cases, knowing how far the final cache stage is might ruin the fun.

I think it would be nice to state the approximate distance in the cache description, but I don't think owners should be under any obligation to do so.  In some cases, knowing how far the final cache stage is might ruin the fun.

We agree.

Edited by Thot