Real Time Google Earth W/ Gps!

azspecter

Hey guys-

Earth Tracker

Found this today. Emailed the guy- he responded and said that yes, this works great. With GE, you just want to browse your intended travel area to load all the images in cache on your laptop first (I read that you can set GE to a 2GB cache size somewhere)- then unplug from the net and you're good to go!

He wrote this software to work w/ GPS via serial hookup, as long as it provides the NMEA 0813 language. He also said that it must hookup via serial port to work. Now- I'm wondering here- since the unit I'm looking at buying only has a USB interface, and not a serial port- is there a software I can loan on my laptop so that it will take my USB port and make it look like a COM port instead? This guy believes that this would work just fine if I could find such a thing.

I'm posting this because I need this interface for business- GPS to work in GE Pro, out in the field. I know it's not the most practical way to do geocaching, but- might be useful to someone.

Any ideas, thoughts, or comments on this?

Thanks

Now- I'm wondering here- since the unit I'm looking at buying only has a USB interface, and not a serial port- is there a software I can loan on my laptop so that it will take my USB port and make it look like a COM port instead?

Yes, if the GPSr you are thinking of buying with a USB interface is an Explorist 210,400,500 or 600.

got an email from the author- he says he knows the Garmin 60cs VERY well, and is CERTAIN it will work perfectly as is- no COM port converter software needed. He even read the manual and confirmed it. So, this is the one I'm going with, and buying his software- Im just going to wait and talk to Garmin directly on Monday to find out when the 'x' series is coming out. If it's soon, I'll wait and order that. Otherwise, I'm going with the 60cs...

Okay first - some GPS units will work w/ just the USB port. Your manual should tell you about that. That's great! But if it will only work w/ a serial port, then there are several places on the web where you can buy a very inexpensive serial to USB (or USB to Serial) cable. Do a google search. Just plug your provided serial cable (came w/ the unit?) into the serial end of the cable you just bought. The other end goes into your USB port. There's some software you need to install, but the whole thing works flawlessly. Cost should be no more than 20 USD incl shipping. Radio Shack carries this cable but they want 40 USD.

Good luck!

Star-geezer