I'm A Failure! (newbie)

Wynder

So, it's been rainy and miserable here the past week or so, but being a Saturday and having nothing else to do, me, the wife and my two year old pack up the old car along with my new Garmin eTrex Legend and head off to Glasgow Park for our first cache.

With off and on rain in 40-degree weather, we stuck it out for a relatively long time; however, even standing still, it was hard for the GPS to pinpoint the exact location... the most accuracy I saw was to about 18 feet. It came to the point where my little girl ran into an unexpected puddle and soaked her feet when we decided to head back home and get her warm.

So, the big question is, has anyone in Delaware hit a WAAS satellite? I wasn't able to get one at all. I'm sure it didn't help that I was under a thin tract of trees that was partially obscuring the sky, but still.

Any advice on locating a cache with a sketchy signal would also be appreciated.

Believe it or not 18 feet is actually pretty good for accuracy. That's about typical. Wass may get you down to about 12 feet but your expectations are a little high asking for more than that. When you get to about where the gps says 20 feet away or so it's time to put the gps away and just start looking. Try to think where you would hide it if it were your cache. Good luck.

Good advice Mastifflover. There are a lot of factors when it comes to the GPS signal. The tree cover could cause some problems with accuracy. Then there is the satalite geometry, space weather. But after is all said and done the limits of the unit itself. Most units are only good for about 20-30 foot accuracy at the best of times. When the unit gets you close it is time to try to narrow down the search options. All I can say is try it again and just enjoy the area. Have fun caching.

I also try scrolling through different zoom levels on approach to gz and I also scroll through different screens. I also put it away when I am convinced I am in general area , but I do put a regular compass out of my pocket so I get a north bearing , which I then use to go right , left etc. Today , I read 33 feet away with gps sitting right on top of cache box. The next cache I got to a spot where it read 2 feet, the closest I've ever had it read. I shut it off and walked about 25 away to find the cache. Yesterday I had 2 finds where it read 7 feet. So atmospheric conditions do play a role, I am convinced. I am also kind of convinced that time of day may affect satelite signal, although I have no actual fact to back that up. Just keep searching. Try a lower rated cache for a tune up.

You should classify the sum total of your first caching experience more as a misconception and less a failure. Most new users believe that the GPS will lead them step-by-step toward the cache box until finally, they trip over it. I wish.

There’s a lot of variables tied in as well. The conditions the day the hiders coordinate readings were taken, the accuracy of the hiders GPS and as you’ll find, the quality of the hiders clues. Double those factors by your own conditions and equipment.

In reality, the GPS will get you “close,” then it’s time to rummage about for the cache. Many geocachers enjoy the rummaging, I’m not one of those. But, the rummaging is a big part of this game.

I'm actually surprised you got that good of reception with the etrex. When I tried the caches in glasgow park with that GPSr, I was lucky to have reception at all, let alone worry about how accurate it was. Good luck with the rest of the caches. :P

Oh, and let me know if you need any help with those caches. Some are out in the open, some will be harder to find as the owners coord's are not 100% accurate, but they're all pretty doable. :lol:

Edited by Horn229
I'm actually surprised you got that good of reception with the etrex. When I tried the caches in glasgow park with that GPSr, I was lucky to have reception at all, let alone worry about how accurate it was. Good luck with the rest of the caches. :)

I must be pretty lucky because I get 18-20 foot accuracy out of my etrex vista all the time! :)

What has worked for me is when I get in the general are I find an area with a somewhat clear view of the sky and I set the GPS down there and mark it with an orange hankerchief (or something). I let the GPS take about 5-10 minutes to lock in and in the meantime I begin my search walking in outward circles from the unit. After about 10 minutes if I haven't found it I go back to the GPS and check it and by this time the reading is very accurate and has pointed me right to it every time.

I'm actually surprised you got that good of reception with the etrex. When I tried the caches in glasgow park with that GPSr, I was lucky to have reception at all, let alone worry about how accurate it was. Good luck with the rest of the caches. :o

I must be pretty lucky because I get 18-20 foot accuracy out of my etrex vista all the time! <_<

In the middle of the woods? I'd loose reception whenever I stepped in the shade. There was one cache I did, where I really just guess that I went far enough judging from the Sat photos I looked at before hand (3/4 mile hike into the state park), out of 4hrs of hiking that day, I had reception only 20min tops. walking on a trail next to a creek, I couldn't get any reception. I was literally standing 15' from the edge of the bank, in the stream trying to get a signal lock to know how far I was from the cache.

I do my best to discourage everyone I know from getting the etrex. Just put out the extra hundred and get one that will get reception in the woods. Course, I do Search And Rescue type training in the woods quite a bit, so there are time I need to get able to give coords over a radio. I can't be waiting/hoping my GPSr will get a signal lock. I would much prefer a UTM topo map/compass over a etrex, odds are I would do much better.

/rant ;)

In the middle of the woods? I'd loose reception whenever I stepped in the shade. There was one cache I did, where I really just guess that I went far enough judging from the Sat photos I looked at before hand (3/4 mile hike into the state park), out of 4hrs of hiking that day, I had reception only 20min tops. walking on a trail next to a creek, I couldn't get any reception. I was literally standing 15' from the edge of the bank, in the stream trying to get a signal lock to know how far I was from the cache.

You might want to send your unit back to the manufacturer for repair. I've used an eTrex Legend and Vista in the woods for several years without a problem and many others I know have had the same experience.

Until Garmin's 60 series came out they were the most popular unit (by far) among geocachers. I doubt they would have become so popular, particularly under the heavy leaf canopy of the northeast, if they didn't have reception in the woods.

I do my best to discourage everyone I know from getting the etrex.

I think you're doing people a disservice. The eTrex line has become a particularly good bargain in the GPS world. The units are inexpensive, compact and easy to use and perfect for those who are just starting in this sport.

Edited by briansnat

We use the cheapest, bight yellow etrex (so cheap it doesn't even have a name other than "etrex"), and it USUALLY gives us excellent results. If the hider's coords are good and if we are not against a steep hillside or cliff, the arrow nearly always points us right at the cache and at the right direction. We also have a Magellan (another bright yellow cheapie), and it seems less accurate. We will probably upgrade when one the current units dies, but until then, we're happy with our yellow no-frills GPSr's! <_<

Note to the O.P.: ALWAYS keep a spare set of clothes (everything your child will need, including shoes, mittens, etc.) in your vehicle when you go caching. We learned the hard way, by having to drive 30 miles home after 2 caches with a kid who stepped in a creek. Just pack a little bag and leave it in the car (remember to change the contents to match the seasons). Throw a box of Wet Wipes in there too...it WILL come in handy!

You might want to send your unit back to the manufacturer for repair. I've used an eTrex Legend and Vista in the woods for several years without a problem and many others I know have had the same experience.

Until Garmin's 60 series came out they were the most popular unit (by far) among geocachers. I doubt they would have become so popular, particularly under the heavy leaf canopy of the northeast, if they didn't have reception in the woods.

I do my best to discourage everyone I know from getting the etrex.

I think you're doing people a disservice. The eTrex line has become a particularly good bargain in the GPS world. The units are inexpensive, compact and easy to use and perfect for those who are just starting in this sport.

Hmm, maybe it is broken, but after several months of dealing with a flawed unit, I don't feel like messing with it anymore, but since it is my brothers, maybe he'll deal with it. :o

But I know that I'm not the only one around here with the same problem. Last month another cacher and myself teamed up to get the heardest cache around. You have to hike through the marsh, there's a very narrow penninsula average width is 15', sometimes up to 30'. You only have 2' available to walk on, as the rest is thorns, and tree's, then a random drop into the water. We got out most of the way then turned on the our GPSr's, I got reception, he didn't. Once we got to the cache area, we walked out to the beach, I still had reception, then he finally did too. We stepped back into the woods and lost his again.

Maybe it's the unit, maybe it's the area, heh, maybe it's user error. Who knows, but I do know that I'm very happy with my Lowrance ifinder H2O. Maybe I'll just recommend that as it has a lot more features and is much easier to use that the etrex. <_<

We got out most of the way then turned on the our GPSr's, I got reception, he didn't. Once we got to the cache area, we walked out to the beach, I still had reception, then he finally did too. We stepped back into the woods and lost his again.

Could be one of your problems. The unit needs to know where the sats are when they are powered on. This is best done under clear skies. If the sat alignment has change a lot since the last time the unit was used, any unit will have difficulty finding them if the unit is powered on under trees.

Also, the few people I've seen complain about eTrex units are the ones who don't use them the way the manufacturer recommends, which holding them flat, face up to the sky. If they are clipped vertically to your belt, stuck in your pocket, hanging upside down from your neck by the laynard or just dangling in your hand at your side, you may experience difficulties with reception with an eTrex.

There are units with better reception than the older eTrex units. The H20 you mentioned is one. The new color eTrex units (Legend C and Vista C) are two more, but many thousands of people have found many thousands of caches under heavy leaf cover with the older eTrexes and they work just fine.

Edited by briansnat
We got out most of the way then turned on the our GPSr's, I got reception, he didn't. ....

Could be one of your problems. The unit needs to know where the sats are when they are powered on. This is best done under clear skies. ...

Also, the unit needs to lock onto the WAAS sats for about 20 minutes while the GPS is stationary. (At least according to Garmins FAQ on why the unit does not sync to WAAS)

I had a funny issue with my Legend a while back. I did a hard reset. (Power on while holding the page key) A message came up to initialize the unit. I then let it sit and lock to the WAAS sat for 20 minutes.

Sometimes a firmware update will do the same thing.

Edited by ekitt10

Even my Garmin 60 CS likes to fool me. Sometimes the arrow points in the opposite direction as the numbers drop. I stood next to another cacher one day using the same GPS's and his pointed in the opposite direction of mine. That time mine was correct. Don't give up. It's all part of the game.

Edited by Old Man Walking
Even my Garmin 60 CS likes to fool me. Sometimes the arrow points in the opposite direction as the numbers drop. I stood next to another cacher one day using the same GPS's and his pointed in the opposite direction of mine. That time mine was correct. Don't give up. It's all part of the game.

Many parts of northern NJ have a high iron content in the ground which can play games with units that have magnetic compasses. I found in some areas that it was best to shut off the magnetic compass in my unit.

Before we upgraded one of our GPS receivers to a Garmin GPSMAP 60 C, we had two SporTrak Maps. We had times where two identical receivers, within a foot of each other, would give readings that were more than 30 ft different.

I agree with many of the previous posts for getting the general direction of the cache. One thing I like to do, is once I get within 100 ft, I just stop. The GPS will usually keep counting down, because it doesn't figure out where you are immediately. Once the GPS calms itself down, walk slooowly in the direction it's pointing.

I am assuming that when you say you did not get a WAAS lock .... that you have changed the default factory setting from NO WAAS to WAAS enabled. After you enable WAAS the unit needs to sit under clear skies for 20 to 30 minutes to load a new almanac (coarse sat position chart) which will include the WAAS sat 35 in your area.

Yeah .... Etrexs are usually pretty darn good cache finders!

:lol: ImpalaBob