Spelling Rant

t.a.folk

I've been on another forum where any posts with bad spelling or punctuation are deleted - I think you get off lightly, and don't even start me off on "mobile phone" speak - there is no need for it when you have a full sized keyboard... B)

l8tr :lol:

Edited by The Golem
I've been on another forum where any posts with bad spelling or punctuation are deleted - I think you get off lightly, and don't even start me off on "mobile phone" speak - there is no need for it when you have a full sized keyboard... B)

l8tr B)

What? All spelling errors? Which forum is this - The Pedants' Society? :lol:

Edited by walkergeoff

l8tr B)

What? All spelling errors? Which forum is this - The Pedants' Society? :lol:

Oh Geoff, don't be so pedantic!! B)

Of course not every single spelling mistaike - some always slip through the net, but if you routinely use poor spelling or punctuation, well they get the snip. :P

To be honest, my biggest bugbear is when people fail to use a capital letter to start a sentence and then fail to end it with a full stop. It's one of the most basic things you learn at school and there really is no excuse for it. :D

i can live with bad spelling and grammar on the forums but what does annoy me are the people who type huge chunks of text in posts without any punctuation at all this is most irritating and makes things very hard to read in fact I dont usually bother reading their posts maybe there are some keyboards out there that dont have a full stop key or an enter key either its very annoying and something that you wont catch me doing ever in fact you probably havent read this far down my post anyway so its a bit pointless

Edited by SlytherinAlex
i can live with bad spelling and grammar on the forums but what does annoy me are the people who type huge chunks of text in posts without any punctuation at all this is most irritating and makes things very hard to read in fact I dont usually bother reading their posts maybe there are some keyboards out there that dont have a full stop key or an enter key either its very annoying and something that you wont catch me doing ever in fact you probably havent read this far down my post anyway so its a bit poinless anyway

B)B)

This is exactly what I mean, if TYPING IN CAPITALS is the forum equivalent of shouting, typing without using full stops is the forum equivalent of babbling... :lol:

I'm not very good at drawing straight lines, so I use a ruler.

I'm not very good at remembering things, so I use a diary.

I'm not very good at knocking in nails with the heel of my hand, so I use a hammer.

I'm not very good at gauging time by looking at the moon and sun, so I use a watch.

If you're not very good at spelling, use a spell-checker!

I attempt to post all my post with good spelling and punctuation; sometimes it slips especially if I'm in a rush, that being said I realise that there are people who for one reason or another have difficulties spelling. Now is it my job to embarrass them? Simple answer NO.

This is Geocaching and not a Spelling Test so if someone is dyslexic, or educationally a little worse off than us fortunate people, give them a chance, be tolerant of others and not vindictive against them, after all some might just have plucked up courage to write something for the first time in public (Very Public) location, and now we might have just ruined their confidence, how does that make you feel! I know that I would feel pretty sick If I did that to another person.

Moote

Edited As I spelt their incorrectly and was pointed

Edited by Moote
I attempt to post all my post with good spelling and punctuation; sometimes it slips especially if I'm in a rush, that being said I realise that there are people who for one reason or another have difficulties spelling. Now is it my job to embarrass them? Simple answer NO.

This is Geocaching and not a Spelling Test so if someone is dyslexic, or educationally a little worse off than us fortunate people, give them a chance, be tolerant of others and not vindictive against them, after all some might just have plucked up courage to write something for the first time in public (Very Public) location, and now we might have just ruined there confidence, how does that make you feel! I know that I would feel pretty sick If I did that to another person.

Moote

Absolutely right!

...now we might have just ruined there confidence, how does that make you feel!  I know that I would feel pretty sick If I did that to another person.

It should be their confidence B)B)B)

Edited really quickly to point out - it was a joke!! :lol:

Edited by The Golem

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its really ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect in it's weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

(Sauce unknown)

Surely all that matters is if you can get your message across. Nobody complains about how eloquent your post is. I believe it is a case of people looking down their nose at other posters because they spot mistakes which makes them feel superior.

Exactly. I think some people will also resort to this tactic when they are arguing a weak point in a debate and have no rebuttal to offer other than "you spelt xxx wrongly"

OK, I'm going to say something here.

Yesterday, someone saw it fit to criticise a 12 year old boys spelling. How big does that make us? Oh yes he spelt one or two words incorrectly, but do I care, he was enjoying his post, and you know what that is what this is about enjoyment. We are not a school, so lighten up.

Now if that is hard to understand then maybe compassion is not within peoples hearts in this forum.

Bullying kids into not coming back into here is not on, we are adults, call my spelling anytime, I make some simple mistakes, but I will not get into a pull anyone apart game.

This kid was 12 and deserved his 15 minutes of fame; then what does someone do? They make him feel stupid! That is not on!

Moote

P.S. Bye all won't, I be in here again, it so wrong.

Edited by Moote

Oh go on then, for the LAST time this year, I'm going to agree with Moote. His point is perfectly valid.

I've just read through that post you refer to, and all but one of the replies ignore the spelling completely. The ONE post that does is hardly 'critical'.

I have suggested the use of a spell checker in this thread. Not to criticise anyone, but to suggest it's a good idea. Just as I would suggest a head-torch for caching at night. I use one, spelling is hardly at the top of my skill-set either.

Much more important though, than 100% perfect spelling, is thinking before pressing the button, something I've been guilty of not doing, more than once.

As for punctuation it CAN be vital; the lack of a question mark or comma can totally change the meaning of a sentence.

Why do some contributors to this forum sometimes hightlight so called spelling mistakes on some peoples postings ?

To reply to the original post:

"Because they can."

Which is not to say they should...

I'd also take issue with the 'so called' comment. It's either a spelling mistake or it isn't. No 'so called' about it, if and when it happens.

Spell checkers are fine but you still have to re-read what you're typed. My favourite example of someone failing to do this resulted in my receiving a CV for a project manager's job. The applicant was heading up a project office somewhere but his CV read "I am currently ruining a project office". Oh how we all laughed, but he was interviewed anyway.

Ummm - if he's reading this no offence intended!!

Enjoy the forum for what it is and stop all these rantings for the new year. 

Locking this rant thread before new year starts .

Thankyou for all opinions .

Agree 100% with Moote's first posting on this thread .

I would like to wish everyone a happy new year . ;)

Edited by t.a.folk