Downloading .loc Files

Cosette

Go to the cache page and download the .loc file into a directory on your hard drive. Open map source, click on file, open the file you just downloaded. It will show up as a waypoint. To transfer to GPS, you can send it with mapsource by clicking on "transfer" "send to device" You can also get EASYGPS or GSAK to manage your waypoints and send them to your unit.

Edited by Nomade

When I click File/Open, I get a dialog box that says "Import MPS file" or "Open GDB file". It doesn't seem to accept .loc files.

I now see how to do it with EasyGPS, but I haven't figured out how to make that program display all my waypoints together instead of each one on a separate page, so I'd like to get MapSource to do it.

Maybe MapSource doesn't accept .loc files anymore or something.

Well I don't understand. When you open mapsource and click on "file" "open" you should get a window from where you choose the directory and then the file you are looking for. This is the window that should open. Don't try to understand what is written. In my case it's in french. Unless you can read french

ab6f138f-29af-46dd-be30-276aa20ee118.jpg

Edited by Nomade

First off make a folder called Geocache Downloads or something.... otherwise you'll have a heck of a time keeping things in order :lol:

Download .loc files into that folder.

Make sure you download the latest version of Mapsource. Click on Help and open About Mapsource It should be Version 6.9.1. If not then go to garmin.com http://www.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp and download it.

My .loc files all show up in Mapsource once I open the file folder within Mapsource. You can edit/change properties if you like and then send the waypoints to your GPS.

I think the key is to download the latest version of MapSource. When I installed the MapSource CD, it did not have the option to open .loc files. I have since installed the latest version, and it now has that option. What I had to do before was load the waypoints into my GPS and then copy them from the GPS to MapSource.

In a related question, there doesn't seem to be a way to import more than one LOC file at a time into MapSource. That is to say, I have to import one waypoint, transfer it into the Garmin, then import the next one (which removes the old one from MapSource). They add up in the GPSr, but it's a slow, klunky process. Does anyone know of a way to import multiple LOC waypoints into MapSource and then transfer them all at once into the GPSr, or is that something one does with something like GSAK?

TIA!

Edited by Spinny

You could do that with GSAK with no problem and you could also try EASYGPS. They are both free expect that for GSAK, after 21 days you'll get a nag screen unless you register but you can still use it. I myself did register to GSAK for 20.00 and it's worth every penny. You could also become a premium member here and would be able to download cache in .GPX format which contains much mure information. The thing when downloading in .loc file, every cache is downloaded under geocaching.loc so it always asking if you want to overwrite the previous one.

Edited by Nomade

That's kind of what I figured, thanks for the informed response. I expect I'll both upgrade my membership here and acquire some extra software, but first I want to actually do some caches and make sure this is as much fun as I think it'll be--then I'll be better able to justify spending some $$ on it. ;)

ETA: yeah, the same-name thing, I almost forgot that. I just re-name each one to something I can remember before I download the next, so I can keep all the files in a safe place.

Edited by Spinny

Spinny

Even with a regular membership you should be able to click and check off the box (on the right side of the cache page... the one that lists all the caches in your postal code quiry) and then at the bottom click on "Download Waypoints" ... plural ;)

It combines all the select waypoints into a geocaching.loc file that you can download onto your computer. I rename the file and "save" it into my Geocache fold that I made in My Documents. You may have to search your computer to find your location.

I use todays date right now because all the downloads from geocache are the same name - this allows you to overwrite the previous download I believe.

Open Mapsource and click on File/Open and search for the folder you stored the .loc file.

All the wayponts should show up within Mapsource. This is a lot easier than doing it for each waypoint/cache.

Hope this helps a bit. I am still learning myself ;)

I downloaded the new version of MapSource, and yes, now it seems to be able to download .loc files.

Is there a way for MapSource to display all waypoints together? Each .loc file I bring in to MapSource makes its own little file. Seems like it would be nice to be able to see them all together.

I tried GSAK, and told it to transfer all waypoints from my GPSr to it. It gave me an error message saying "error sending waypoints, MAGPROTO: no data received from GPS." My GPS is turned on and had been sending and receiving fine from other programs, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

When downloading multiple waypoints into MapSource at different times, it will open separate copies of MapSource. To consolidate these into one file just select the waypoint, right click and select copy. Then go to the file that you want to paste it to, select waypoints, right click and paste.

I downloaded the new version of MapSource, and yes, now it seems to be able to download .loc files.

Is there a way for MapSource to display all waypoints together? Each .loc file I bring in to MapSource makes its own little file. Seems like it would be nice to be able to see them all together.

I tried GSAK, and told it to transfer all waypoints from my GPSr to it. It gave me an error message saying "error sending waypoints, MAGPROTO: no data received from GPS." My GPS is turned on and had been sending and receiving fine from other programs, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

If your working with GSAK, here is what you should do. First download the caches you want into GSAK default folder. Once they are downloaded into GSAK, you can export them to mapsource by clicking: "file - export - mapsource file" this will create a .mps file that you can open with mapsource. You'll see all the caches you exported. Finaly, save it as a .gdb file for future use with mapsource.

If you're running the cheap way (like I'm doing so far), you can open your .loc file in notepad or another texteditor. You will then see that it is a xml-file. The you open your other .loc file in another instance of notepad (if you have a better texteditor it's easier), copy the waypoints you want copied (including appropriate tags) and paste them into the first file. It doesn't matter which order the waypoints get in when you paste them. The finished file you open in Mapsource.

You should be reasonably familiar with html or xml to do this, so you don't muddle the tags.

I'm sure it's a lot easier in GSAK (which I haven't tried yet), but this works.