Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

Cosette

I'm frustrated with this new unit's manual. It says NOTHING about how to enter coordinates. It says NOTHING about how to download coordinates.

The online version of the manual is exactly like the useless one I have.

I can download coordinates to my PC just fine, and I surely can plug the silly thing into my USB. But isn't it odd there are no directions for moving info from the PC to the unit?

I have figured out by myself to go to Find, and then edit my home waypoint by tediously fiddling with the rocker key. There has to be an easier way.

I've been having fun caching but I have to just write down the coordinates and manually find my way there. This thing can do better, though, and I am puzzled why the manual is so not helpful about this. Can anyone help me?

To download coordinates from the website to your 60CS, use EasyGPS which is free software. You open your .loc file (downloaded from the website) in EasyGPS, then use its send feature to transmit the coordinate data to the GPS.

As for manually entering coordinates, that fussy rocker button is the only way to do it, which is why downloading is soooo much better :lol: . But you'll need to know how to enter coords manually on multi-caches, since you will be given new coordinates along the way that you'll have to enter in. The FAQ will give you step by step instructions on how to do it, but basically you hit MARK, which creates a waypoint where you are standing, then you edit that waypoint's symbol (optional), name (optional) and coordinates (required), using the rocker button and the little keyboard that pops up on the screen. After that hit OK.

To hunt the new waypoint, hit FIND, RECENT FINDS, and the new waypoint will be sitting at the top of the list.

HTH

On the Garmin 12XL that I had (still have), you can enter a waypoint using the "New Waypoint" command, but the 60CS does not have this feature. It took me awhile to figure out that you have to use the Mark button to create a new waypoint, even if it's hundreds of miles from your current position. This method works fine, but it would help if the manual actually showed you how to do it. Good luck.

kl

Here is a step-by-step:

Step One: Get the coordinates from the internet.

You can do this by looking on the cache page and printing it out, or writing it down, or simply setting there and punching them into your GPSr (see question 1 of the Waypoints Section of the FAQ). If you load coordinates by hand, double check for typos, and you're done. Go to Step Four.

You can also do this electronically by downloading a .loc file from the internet to your computer. This file has the coordinates, but not much more. If you are a premium member ($3/month) then you can download a .gpx file, which has lots more info about the cache, and a pre-set geocaching icon. You can also download big batches of caches via "pocket queries."

Step Two: Use software to handle downloaded coordinates.

If you downloaded coordinates to your computer, you need some program that will open those files so that you can do something with them. EasyGPS is free and will work. GSAK is free to try and $20 to buy, and is a more powerful database manager that lets you slice and dice, filter and sort, caches. MapSource (for Garmin Map users) also handles .gpx files in versions 6.5 and higher.

Step Three: Load the cache info onto your GPSr.

Now that you have opened up your .loc or .gpx file with some software on the computer, you can use that software to upload the cache info to your GPSr. Depending on the software you chose, you can upload the coordinates, symbol, hints or other info (limited by the field sizes in the GPSr). If you get the coordinates and the name of the cache uploaded, that's all you need. Uploading the cache symbol (closed treasure chest) to your 60C is handy, because it lets you use Geocaching Mode, but you can change the symbol manually if you want to.

Step Four: Take the cache info with you.

Nothing is more frustrating (to me) than getting to the cache location and not being able to find the cache. If only I had brought the darn hint with me, or some of the prior finders' logs! Many cachers do this by printing the cache page from the internet (sometimes with the hint decoded and all logs listed). If you cache very much, trees will *scream* at the paper you use to do this. Others load as much info as they can onto the GPSr (very limited) or use a PDA to carry the info with them. PDAs are not needed to cache, but if you downloaded .gpx files from the GC site, and opened them with GSAK, you can use that software to load all of the cache info onto your PDA and save lots of trees. There are a number of good tutorials to teach you how to do this. Here's one for using GSAK and Cachemate on your PDA. Other people prefer CyBret's Spinner/Plucker approach.

Step Five: Go find the cache!!!

Get out there and find it. The GPSr will lead you to within 20 or 30 feet of the container. Then you have to stop looking at it and learn to think like a cache hider. Where would I hide that little guy if I were doing it?

You may also want to check out

Thot's Beginner's Guide

Markwell's Update to the FAQ and

CyBret's Geocacher University.

Lot's of great advice there for beginners.

Edited by Sputnik 57

You can manually enter a coordinate that is very close to a location by using the Enter key rather than the Mark key. Use the rocker to create a Pointer on the screen, use the rocker key to move this Pointer to the general area where you wish to have a new waypoint, if you need a point 100 miles away you can zoom out , move pointer, zoom in. Once you have the pointer in the general area where you wish to place a new waypoint, hit Enter, you will be asked if you wish to create a new waypoint, say yes. If you are too close to an existing waypoint you will get a list of those rather than the alternative to create a new one, then just zoom in a little. Having the coord "almost right" saves a lot of rocker key typing which is no fun.

Did you install the MapSource program that came with your Garmin 60CS? I finally did after about a month or so of entering coords manually and now it's a breeze! Go to your MapSource, type in the coords for the cache you'd like to find. Simple as can be. Enter a whole bunch, map out a route, etc. Then, plug your GPSr into your computer and transfer all the info by clicking a button.

Good luck!

Dawn

I can download coordinates to my PC just fine, and I surely can plug the silly thing into my USB. But isn't it odd there are no directions for moving info from the PC to the unit?

Page 88 of the Garmin Manual says Mapsource is needed to transfer data to and from your 60cs.

Page 43 of the Mapsource Manual contains a section on 'Transferrind Data'.

Easy GPS is just like it says "EASY" to use. Once you download this program you simply go the cache listing pages and click on the caches you want to download and hit the download button. Give them a file name where you can find them on your PC. Open up EasyGPS and use file open and specify your saved file. Highlight the caches you want in the listing that shows up and then go to tools and choose Send to GPS.

For manual entry the simples way I found was to go to the map page about where you want to make a waypoint and put your pointer in an open area. Hit the "enter" button on the 60cs and it will tell you that there is no info at that spot and ask you if want to create a waypoint there. Choose yes and then add the information you want. For multi caches I have found it convenient to add several waypoints near the vacinity of the posted coordinate before you go out and just give them a name you can relate to. Once you get the new coordinates in the feld just go in and edit them real quick.

Hope this helps.