Anyone Get A Pocket Pc Gps For Christmas?

PocketSierra

Since I work on GPS software for Pocket PC, I am interested in people's experience and their likes and dislikes.

I'll start.

A relative got an OnCourse Sirf Star III Bluetooth GPS at Thanksgiving time.

It was very good at getting a fix even indoors. It got within one foot or so of the caches we were seeking. It appeared to be much more sensitive than my Rikaline 6031-X7 from last year. It also had auto sleep mode for battery saving if there was no connection within 5 minutes or so. It also was smaller and slimmer and could fit in the OtterBox bluetooth GPS case (the Rikaline won't).

One disadvantage I will note. It did not have automatic wake up like the Rikaline. It wouldn't come on if you recconnect; you needed to push the on button. (the Rikaline has no on button). So you can put it in a hard shell case and put it out of reach, but you probably wouldn't for that reason.

From this experience, I can reccommend Sirf III in general.

Anybody else.

I just got my Globalsat SirfStar III that slips into the PPC CF slot. Brand new model - first Sirf III I'm aware that isn't in a Bluetooth model. I was out with my wife and dog and I was following the trail and noticed that the cache was 289' NE straight off the trail which kinda ticked me off. So off we went into the stickers and after I walked what seem like 100 feet or so, I took another look at the PPC and I was 273' NE away. So I thought I made a bad decision about getting the new CF GPS. So I kept walking about another 40 feet and took another look. Now is back up to 282'.

Just about ready to chuck the whole thing away, I took one last look at the screen and realized I had been reading the altitude.

I didn't find that cache but I can say it works great with my auto-naviagation program. I'm sure it'll work great in the woods too. Once I stop look at the altitude as if I'm expecting a cache up a tree!