Gis And Geocaching

Eddie20

If you really think about it, Google Earth is really a GIS setup...

I've thought about setting up a GIS map of Iowa and using PQ's to download all of the caches in the state, and then using ArcView generate a distribution map to highlight cache-dense areas. No real practical application, but might be kinda neat.

On the same note, an ArcView map set up with cache locations, aerial photography, and topographic map data exported into ArcPad and loaded onto a PDA could be VERY nice in the field. Get real fancy and add TIGER data and auto-routing, maybe use some 3rd party apps to analyze the topo data and plot the best route to the cache....

I'm going in for more ArcView training in a few weeks, we'll see what comes of it....

Edited by dkwolf
Has anyone out there done anything with GIS software such as ArcView GIS in relation to geocaching?  If so how?

I have some training in ArcView and was curious of things people have tried in the use of the hobby and the program.

You bet! I'm a GIS/GPS technician in upstate NY and use ArcView 3.x thru Arc9.x, as well as MapInfo. I personally think ESRI offers more GIS functionality, and I use it all the time. I love the DNRGarmin extension and use it for my GIS mapping work and for geocaching. I use my Garmin Map 60C and Legend to record tracks and create maps over aerial photos and topo. I keep all my geocaching waypoint and track data in GIS (shapefile) format.

I use National Geographic TOPO! as an extension in Arc9.x (and ArcView3.x) along with DNR, plus I use many third party programs that I've found. I get to GPS survey using Trimble RTK and Pathfinder GPSrs. I love my job! The company lets me play with all their tech goodies in the field, and I get paid, too!

I'm a National Map Corps volunteer and use my GIS to manage my field captured NMC data and actually deliver my structure data as a point shapefile to them. They love that as it saves steps in their work because they work in GIS. I hope this addresses your questions. Happy New Year!

Edited by Timpat
Isn't useing arc map to geocache like useing a bazoka to kill a fly??

I agree, for the majority of geocachers out there this is above and beyond what they need. But for those of us who use GIS, namely ArcGIS or ArcView GIS, for our livelihood everyday, this is just a quick and dirty method using a tool we already have.

Refering back to the original question:

Has anyone out there done anything with GIS software such as ArcView GIS in relation to geocaching? If so how?

Well, you can't get more GIS than those programs.

If you are not trained in GIS then by all means use Google Earth. When I use to try to explain what I do for a living, alot of people never heard of it or understood, but if I mention its sort of like GE, I see the light bulb turn on. ;)

Keep your eyes peeled for ArcGIS Explorer, a Google Earth-like program produced by ESRI, maker of ArcView. ArcGIS Explorer will be more powerful than Google Earth since it is also intended to be used as a viewer of real GIS data. I contacted ESRI and asked if ArcGIS Explorer will be able to read GPX. I was told that it was discussed by the developers, but no decisions had been made yet. Beta release is scheduled for this quarter.

I use my Garmin Map 60C and Legend to record tracks and create maps over aerial photos and topo. I keep all my geocaching waypoint and track data in GIS (shapefile) format.

Timpat: Do you give your trail tracks to NG Topo for their MapXchange site?

Hi Alan2. No, I hadn't thought of that. I do use NG TOPO! at home and have looked briefly at their MapXchange data. I should look closer as I didn't see a way I could use those. If I remember the files are a .tpo extension. Do you know more about MapXchange? Thanks for mentioning this!

I use my Garmin Map 60C and Legend to record tracks and create maps over aerial photos and topo. I keep all my geocaching waypoint and track data in GIS (shapefile) format.

Timpat: Do you give your trail tracks to NG Topo for their MapXchange site?

Hi Alan2. No, I hadn't thought of that. I do use NG TOPO! at home and have looked briefly at their MapXchange data. I should look closer as I didn't see a way I could use those. If I remember the files are a .tpo extension. Do you know more about MapXchange? Thanks for mentioning this!

It's a really neat tool. People who have walked trails post the coordinates to the site so others can download the trails into their NG Topo and the routes into their GPS's. If you have log routes, you can give them to Topo so others can do the same. http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/search.cfm then search you state for trails already posted. It's good stuff.

lol....

Remember, we're using multi-billion dollar military navigation satellites orbiting hundreds of miles above earth to find tupperware hidden in the woods. We've already got the bazooka, man.....

lol....

Remember, we're using multi-billion dollar military navigation satellites orbiting hundreds of miles above earth to find tupperware hidden in the woods. We've already got the bazooka, man.....

Man you got me with that one.

Has anyone used Arch Pad to realy go to the exstreme?

Dave

I use ArcView to manage my caches and make custom maps for those seeking the Indiana Spirit Quest. There are all sorts of applications out there.

yes there are ive seen it used for predicteing forsts fires to planing how a town should develope and many others but man more higher ups need to utilize the potental for it before gis realy catches on.

Dave

There's a nice ArcGIS 9.0+ script for loading .loc files that can be found HERE.  I've used it to make some custom maps of my caching endeavors.

Hey Geoduck4, that is one very cool ArcGIS script! I just had a chance to customize my toolbar and I see it will be used a lot. I already made an overall map showing all my Finds around a 40 mi radius of home and used NG TOPO! mapping as a background. Cool stuff! Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure if ESRI is at all aware of geocaching

There was an article on geocaching in the winter 04/05 edition of ArcNews

I'm a GIS Programmer, so naturally I love to play with my "bazooka" software, not because I need to, because I can. Caching along a route? NO PROBLEM, I'll just whip out ArcMap and do a spatial selection on a buffered line! :)

Smache will be able to export caches to a Shapefile in the next version. ;)

Glad to know there are other "Bazooka" cachers out there !

My favorite thing is being able to pull up newer and better resolution aerial photos than other cachers have when I scout out a cache I want to find. Is this cheating? ;) The joys of having access to "bazooka" software and data.

Anyone else get the caches there next to the conference center at the user conference in San Diego this year?

Bummer, won't be attending that one this year. I will be attending the ASPRS conference in Reno in May, definitely will be caching at lunch and evenings after the talks. Anyone going to that one?