Delorme Handheld Gpsr

gpsjeep

I replied to an other post in this forum about this link but it's well worth reading.

New Delorme GPSr to become available someting in 2006 along with new Delorme Topo software.

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklo...view_delor.html

http://www.directionsmag.com/press.release...&id=10884&trv=1

http://www.gpsreview.net/delorme-announces...gh-gps-devices/

http://www.spacenewsfeed.co.uk/2005/9January2005_41.html

You'll find more link on a google search for Earthmate GPS PN-20

As if we don't have enough to think about with the new Magellans and Garmins.

Edited to add mor links.

-Jeff

Edited by gpsjeep
I'm pretty excited to check out the new earthmate. A dedicated GPS from a company where the primary business is mapping should be pretty nice.

It depends on who is making it for them. With Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance having been in the consumer market for so many years. Though Lowrance got out of the market for a few years. Delorme is in for an uphill climb. Remeber Cobra has not done well in the GPS market and they are also entered the market late in the game.

I do share gpsjeep's anticipation...we often look at the GPSr's features as a starting and ending point, leaving the maps available out of consideration. Delorme makes some pretty good maps, and a decent GPSr (certainly an iffy proposition) could make for an attractive package for those whom topo data is a priority.

I likes choice. :ph34r:

Delorme is in for an uphill climb. Remeber Cobra has not done well in the GPS market and they are also entered the market late in the game.

Delorme is a strong contender in the mapping arena and have been making GPS receivers for years. I've owned 5 of them and had very good results. They've finally put a screen on one. It should be a good thing.

Cobra is best known for their CB radios. Attempting to enter the GPS arena was a bit of a stretch. Kinda like Ford or Chrystler trying to enter the motorcycle arena. Yea both have engines and wheels, but it's not the same thing. ;)

I'm pretty excited to check out the new earthmate. A dedicated GPS from a company where the primary business is mapping should be pretty nice.

It depends on who is making it for them. With Garmin, Magellan and Lowrance having been in the consumer market for so many years. Though Lowrance got out of the market for a few years. Delorme is in for an uphill climb. Remeber Cobra has not done well in the GPS market and they are also entered the market late in the game.

Holux (a Taiwanese company otherwise not well known in the US) makes all GPS stuff for DeLorme. This is probably another attempt by them to bring a handheld to the US (see below). They are quite successful in Australia, Asia, and Europe.

From late 2003 - mid 2005 (you can still get them if you look around or go on eBay, but it's officially discontinued), they sold their basic handheld in the US through the Whistler radar detector company/Wal-Mart (it was a joint venture that used the Whistler name since both are HQ'd in Bentonville, AR, but they do not own each other).

Not a bad unit (see pix in my avatar), certainly (particularly now) the cheapest unit with full street maps and POI's you'll find (though they are somewhat dated), but it didn't sell because:

1) Startup times/lock holds/battery life are more on a par with entry-level Garmin/Magellan units (battery life is probably worse actually), but it was initially marketed in 2003 to compete with "mid-range" GPSr's (of course, now you can buy it at an "entry level" price :laughing: ).

2) Only shows DD MM SS.S format, not the increasingly standard DD MM MM.MMM and no option to switch like you can between US and Metric numbers.

3) Not compatibile with Easy GPS, GSAK, etc.

So I would be concerned with #3 above regarding a DeLorme handheld unit (I'm sure #1 and #2 wouldn't be the case anymore). They are really likely to be targeting this as something you would have in your car, but may occasionally want to use outside the car, kind of like I think Cobra does (with similar lack of software compatibility).

On the other hand, if you go to their website, currently they are probably on the "leading edge" in the whole industry in SIRF II-chip units so reception on this may be * PHENOMENAL * since I bet this will be an SIRF unit. Their website is www.holux.com, they brag like crazy about reception.