Paperless Caching

Soultrance

So, I ordered my very first GPS the other day, lovely little eXplorist 210 from GPSCity.ca. I haven't yet received it, but I already know that I want to go paperless as I have wanted a PDA or PocketPC for sometime and now I have an excuse to get one. (o: So, that leads me to my question.

What PDA/Pocket PC do you use for paperless caching?

Since I'm not going to be using it strictly for Geocaching I'd like to get a unit that has built in Wifi and SD or another kind of expansion. Any suggestions?

I've been looking at the HP iPaq line and the Palm Tungsten E2 (which I love, but unfortunately does not come with Wifi).

Thanks for any suggestions you kind folk can make and any info you can provide me with.

p.s.

I hope I get my GPS today! I want to cache this weekend, lol.

I have an Ipaq 2215 but i's a couple of years old and does not have Wi Fi. One suggestion. Whatever,you get should have a slot for CF memory or auxiliary equipment. There are GPS's that slip into PPC's so you can use on their own without cabling to a separate GPS. Then you can use your PPC for auto-navigating and loading other mapping programs that will place your position on the map and show all the cache locations as well.

My Ipaq came with Outlook so I was able to sync it with my company's Outlook program (appts, To Do's Contact names and phone etc.)

I use an Etrex Vista, Dell Axim X3i (WiFi Built in). One suggestion. Get GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. Available At www.gsak.net I believe. It will be the greatest asset to you in going paperless and at coordinating your cache finds. If you go windows PPC, I also suggest downloading gpx sonar to use to keep track of the cache's on your ppc. If you end up going with a Palm version, Purchase Cachemate. It is the best for the palm and costs less than 20 bucks. I think I paid twelve dollars or so when I had a palm. But either way, if you have not downloaded and tried GSAK, Just do it. Really simplifies things.

Baptist Deacon

I use an Etrex Vista, Dell Axim X3i (WiFi Built in). One suggestion. Get GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. Available At www.gsak.net I believe. It will be the greatest asset to you in going paperless and at coordinating your cache finds. If you go windows PPC, I also suggest downloading gpx sonar to use to keep track of the cache's on your ppc. If you end up going with a Palm version, Purchase Cachemate. It is the best for the palm and costs less than 20 bucks. I think I paid twelve dollars or so when I had a palm. But either way, if you have not downloaded and tried GSAK, Just do it. Really simplifies things.

Baptist Deacon

GSAK is free to try and a bargain at $20 to buy.

Cachemate (linked above) is also a bargain--$8.

Two different animals. GSAK goes on your PC. CacheMate installs on your Palm. GSAK will generate a data file that you sync onto your Palm. CacheMate opens the data file and allows you to access the data in the field. I know its a $28 investment for both, but its well worth it.

There's a handy tutorial by Clan_Barron is posted on the Fla Geocachers' Assn site.

I used to use a Handspring Visor loaded via GSAK and CachMate to augment my 60cs information. The only change I've made was to start using an Axim X51v handheld PC. I'm just as happy using HTML loaded by GSAK onto it as I am using GPX Sonar. I do take along my Dell 700m laptop with a broadband aircard, but leave it in the truck while actually caching. In any type of use GSAK is indispensible.

Hrm, i like the sound of this.

I have an old Palm M100 sitting there i hardly ever use, could i put CachMate onto it, i suppose so why not.

How do you hook up the gps to the pda? I have gps data cables (serial) and the pda data cables (serial)

Id love to have the hints and write logs int he field.

I have a Magellan Explorist 210. I use GSAK software (paid the small fee - it was worth every penny) on my lapgtop to manage my caches and export a gpx file to the Magellan software and from the Magellan software to the GPS unit via USB. I then transfer the .gpx file from GSAK to my HP pocket PC via bluetooth. While out caching I use the PDA to view cache details and logs. I use the GPXSonar software (free shareware) on the PDA. This setup has worked very nicely for me. I am now investigating how I can use my laptop with the GPS hooked up to it to provide real-time tracking.

Hope this helps.

I'd markwell about 15 posts on this, but the search is busted.

Me, Palm TX with Pathaway navigation and Cachemate. 60CS with Pc-Mobile bluetooth adapter to talk to the TX.

GSAK on the laptop. If I have the laptop in the car, it uses ExpertGPS or GPS Trackmaker, depending on whether I need the serial port connectivity for the 60CS or if I'm using bluetooth.

I have 500 caches with complete descriptions on my old Palm IIIxe

I use Plucker and GPX2HTML . Requires premium membership and about

10 minutes to process the files. I download everything I have" not found.. "

don't do any data manipulation (as with cachemate). Then in the field if I decide not to do a cache, I delete it (in gps) just to remove clutter. (the only problem here is when I reload next week these caches will be back. But my mood might change by then and I will decide to do it)

I use the 500 number because that is all the PQ you can get in one bang.

Next week.. I dump everything from gpsr, and reload them again.. picking up any new ones and all log entries from all 500 during the past week.

I can keep several "500 cache runs" on the palm at one time. I usally keep about three and keep dropping the oldest.

I also have Mapopolis maps on the Palm so that takes up some memory.

Some say 500 is too many. I would use 1000 if PQ would send them. I have ran multiple searches but then you get a lot of duplication. (My 76S will hold 1000). The advantage is you have caches for a giant area so you can go about any direction from home without having to reload. You can never have too much information with you.

I only use the Palm for caching.. so for all that fancy daily stuff you are on your own.

wingryder

Originally, a 60C and an old Palm m505....

I'm currently using a Palm IIIxe, Cachmate, Garmin 60C and GSAK.

Sputnik, I'm curious about whether you ever connected the 60c to the palm and used a navigation application on the pda. I don't think I would use this setup for caching on the trail but might on a road trip for general highway navigation.

I have an Ipaq that I'd like to use for paperless. Cachemate seems to be the program of choice, but it is for the Palm. What program should I be using to load the descriptions onto the Ipaq? I've tried the pocket query to get a Mobipocket file without any luck. Any suggestions?