When A Waymark Fits In More Than Category

This is similar to the query I made here, Applying To Have A Waymark Change Categories, but slightly different.

I think there should be some option to allow for the cross posting of waymarks. For example, the Waymark Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of the American Revolution is currently in American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves. It could however also fit in NPS Passport Cancellation Stations.

There are currenlty some duplicate waymarks in different categories. Cross-posting would eliminate some of the duplication and make the site easier to use.

The short answer is there should be cross pollination of categories. Where they differ is in the variables that each categories possess.

In the feature enhancements list is a way to "stack" waymarks so they reference each other. A waymark can be attached to another waymark as being related, similar, or same item. As you click on a waymark it will let you know whether there are related, similar, or identical waymark entries for that location.

Stacking will bring a different perspective of the same item.

who will then retroactivly stack these duplicate waymarks? how is the end result of stacking the GA hist marker Holes-Hunter Academic Building with the civil rights memorial Holes-Hunter Academic Building goig to be and look?

they have different waymark 'points' (WMXXX). it would seem that, since the waymarks are identical that one waymark 'number' would be kept. the site would appear in both categories--with a star denoting multiple categories?--and the description and logging page would have both icons; thus both owners, if they are not the same, would recieve the waymark visited email.

I should add to that as well - I don't think myself that categories are in competition with each other as such when they cross each others boundries but rather I think they could complement each other, particularily if some form of cross reference was intiated. I have sent people next door when Shipwrecks waymarks have been lodged that I clearly saw as better befitting another category. It really isn't about numbers I didn't think. Waymarking is a hobby not a lottery!

I don't think myself that categories are in competition with each other as such when they cross each others boundries but rather I think they could complement each other, particularily if some form of cross reference was intiated.

yes. multiple categories is great. and i like when a historical marker turns out to be something else--a civil rights site, petroglyph, etc......

numbers have nothing do do with anything. they are an add on. Waymarking is about seeing cool things you never knew were there and learning more about the things around us.

after managing categories is done, this should be the next resolution--also working toward a 'searchable database'.

something on the directory would be nice: submit a dual category waymark, choosing what categories to submit it for (if more than one).