Your Cache Hounds

I geocache with my German Shepherd Dog ... Rusty :)

b10d9732-c7b6-4f23-8b1f-ded36dcda8de.jpg

And I have a Travel Bug: Klaus TB, which was launched in memory of Klaus (another German Shepherd Dog), who recently passed away. The TB's goal is to log as many miles as possible. For every mile it travels each year, I donate $1 to the German Shepherd Rescue of Los Angeles. Right now the TB is in New Jersey.

f184508b-8b40-48f3-9b56-7b17d3ff7414.jpg

Here are both Klaus and Rusty together.

dogs.jpg:huh:

I've had Buck since he was 5 weeks old, he's now 11. Loves to go caching and prefers squirrel hunting over grouse hunting. He can spot a squirrel long before I do.

Anyway, here is the best shot I've got of him, just a quick shot with a new camera when he was

about 6 or 7;

bestpicofbuck.JPG

Once he's swam out, or cached out, I tend to spoil him a tad;

spoiledrotten.jpg

Here is a pic after finding our first travel bug ... he was snoring, then

I made a kiss noise to make him look up;

firstTBbuck.jpg

He's a good boy, well tempered, has a diploma. I used to play hide n seek with him as a young pup,

today, he will not get out of my sight ... which is a great thing. When I have him off leash, and I think

he's too far ahead, all I have to do is hide in a bush for a second and he'll come find me :lol:

He's been hit by a Jeep and knocked out, attacked by 2 different dogs and came out ok ... I call him

Lucky Bucky :ph34r:

I'm a new cache hunter, but my lurcher Ali has visited every cache I've found with me. He loves coming out for a walk somewhere different than the usual, but gets bored while I ferret around at the location. He usually lies down nearby and starts grumbling ti himself. He is slowly learning that if I pull a container out of the undergrowth it means a Bonio will come out of my bag for him. These aren't caching images, but you get the idea!

alisofalighter.jpg

Ali_running_water_final.jpg

I'm getting ready to hide my first cache, which I'm going to theme around this old poacher, with dog related bits and pieces as swag.

I had to bump Faith up to brag on her. She has officially earned the title Geocaching Wondermutt! Check out her cache find!

Here's Faith, the Geocaching wondermutt. OK, so she's small enough to fit inside a regular ammo can, but she loves to cache! Anytime she sees me pick up my cache bag, she goes nuts. Of course, we both get an earfull when she comes back covered in burrs!

7af0eba7-5ded-4c01-bdd7-bee99c2abae9.jpg

Rocco, the lab/cinderblock mix that decided it would be a wise idea to pick a fight with a herd of wild pigs:

:o

88fd0586-1b7f-4558-8b35-18c86194c5bc.jpg

This caused a super hasty bushwack exit from the area resulting in this:

:lol:

cc40c92f-7085-4208-b029-8193415c297c.jpg

BTW... I had to carrry HIM out, as the thorns were too thick for him to get through. he picked the fight and then got carried by Mr. Lighteye through 500 odd feet of 8' tall briars to safety, while not recieving a single scratch himself.

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye

ebd98251-5d09-49a7-8cc1-15b93fe6a368.jpg

This is Caper. She is a wire haired Jack Russel Terrorist who thinks the world is hers. Most of the time, it is. :D She LOVES going caching. Just having the GPS in your hand triggers her 4' vertical, and frantically trying to pull her leash from its hook so as to make sure we dont forget to take her. :cute: We love our dog. :cute:

Edited by TeamGuisinger

This is Toby Teeth. The best companion I ever had next to Maddawg my daughter. Oddly we didn't want him at first. A friend asked us to watch him as well as her doberman for a while until she got settled into her new home, and we obliged. He soon broke out of our backyard with Harley the doberman who happened to have a thing for cats. In the two hours they were free...I was at work.... Harley managed to kill five cats. A woman two blocks over tried to intervene with one and placed her hands into the carnage and recieved a few stitches. Off to the pound they went. Toby however was only guilty by association. Their owner decided that she had had it with the two of them and was going to have them put down. Harley was a sweet dog...just hated cats, but he was 12 years old, had bad hips, and cysts on the inner thighs of both back legs. It was probably about his time anyway. As for Toby, he was only a pup! How could she do it??? She asked if wanted him, but we didn't.... until we went down to check on him. He looked at me like all he wanted to do was come home. I let him. As punishment we paid $200.00 in fines, had to keep a sign posting that a "vicious" dog was on the premises, as well as a bright orange collar with the word "danger" all around it. HAHAHAHA....Hardly! Anyway, we sadly said, "goodbye" to Harley, and took Toby home. What an amzing companion he is. He never leaves my side, and I often find him pushing up through my legs begging for a scratch. On the trail he is excellent. No need for a leash unless I see another dog or hiker ahead or behind. More for their sense of safety than worrying about what Toby might do (death from begging). He never tries to run ahead unless I toss a ball , and then only if I give him the "go on." He sleeps at the foot of my daughter's bed nightly as she has an active imagination. She just likes his company. After she is sound asleep he sneaks out of the room to spend some timie with the miss and I until we go to bed when, without command, he heads back into Maddawg's room for the remainder of the night. What a guy! Thsi was only supposed to be the posting of a pic! Sheesh!

p.s. We have a beagle named Bailey too. She is wonderful in the house, but rarely goes caching because all she does is tug on the leash wanting to find the rabbit that left that scent. You'll be glad to know she has never missed a trip to the beach with us though!

DSCN6123.jpg

I posted a while back with my two geocaching partners. I've since gotten another one.

This is my newest cache hound, Murphy. Murphy will be going on her first caching trip this weekend:

PICT0018.jpg

And this is all three, from left to right: Hako, Murphy, Bailey

PICT0004.jpg

Hako on the trail:

Hakothinksitthisway.jpg

Hako after nuzzling in the snow for a cache:

Hakoafterarompthroughthesnow.jpg

Bailey bringing me a tool to help find a cache:

Baileyhelpingwithafind.jpg

Are Hako and Murphy deerhounds or deerhound crosses? They are beautiful. Murphy has unusual and beautiful markings.

(Bailey is cool too, but I have a soft spot for the sight hounds :lol: See my post above)

Thanks... Murphy does have beautiful markings. Several people say she looks like a cat from a distance. She's going to be wearing a vest when we cache so she's not mistaken for anything.

Hako and Murphy are Irish Wolfhounds. Hako is 2 years old (next week) and started off a shiny silver with black stripes. You can still see some of the silver in his face, but he's mostly a nice gray now. Murphy is his half-sister (same mother), she's just under 6 months old. She's a red brindle, which I absolutely love. Unfortunately, our breeder says she'll lose most of that and eventually become a darker gray with black stripes. So we're taking a lot of pictures to remember her puppy coat by :laughing:

Bailey is my step-dog (my wifes dog from before we were married). She is a wonderful dog and the only one that is allowed to sleep on the bed (the others don't really fit) and is great at sniffing out caches (so long as they are hidden near something that smells pretty bad). I'm right there with you though, sight hounds are great and I've dreamt of getting an Irish Wolfhound all my life. Luckily after my wife got me Hako for my birthday a few years ago, she fell in love with them as well, and she's the one who pushed to get Murphy.

Ali is a beautiful dog as well. I've never heard of Lurcher before. I'm assuming it's a type of greyhound?

Edited by BRTango

Ah, Wolfhounds. The brindle of Murphy threw me (I've never seen a brindle Wolfhound before) and I thought I could see some in Hako, but looking again see it is really the light on his coat.

A Lurcher is a cross between a sighthound (greyhound, wolfhound, deerhound, whippet, etc) and just about any other dog, depending on the type of dog you want to produce for a particular job. Ali is a border collie / greyhound cross, often considered the 'classic' lurcher, bred for a greyhound's speed, and the collie's stamina and brain.

Ah, Wolfhounds. The brindle of Murphy threw me (I've never seen a brindle Wolfhound before) and I thought I could see some in Hako, but looking again see it is really the light on his coat.

A Lurcher is a cross between a sighthound (greyhound, wolfhound, deerhound, whippet, etc) and just about any other dog, depending on the type of dog you want to produce for a particular job. Ali is a border collie / greyhound cross, often considered the 'classic' lurcher, bred for a greyhound's speed, and the collie's stamina and brain.

Actually, Hako does have some brindling as well. He is a silver brindle. It was much clearer as a pup. You can hardly see his stripes anymore, but they still show up.

I'd never heard of a lurcher, but it sounds interesting. I wonder what kind of a lurcher you'd get by crossing a wolfhound and a basset hound :anicute:

I grew up with Irish Wolfhounds - my mother loves them, but at least in this region, temperaments have suffered in the past 20 years, so she will likely never own another.

Heres our puppers... We breed and show boxers, and she has become our official outdoor nut.

Shes our 3rd generation - Dad would love to come with, and he does go on the easier ones, but hes not as big on bushwhacking as she is!

This is Ella - she is on our signature cards!

ella7192.jpg

We do professional photography - and this photo was taken late August.

I'd forgotten this thread was here, and it must have been one of the first I posted on when we took up caching. Ali the Lurcher (scroll up a few posts) died on the 11th, a good few years before his time. :laughing: We just got back from our first cache without him, and missed him dreadfully all round our walk. He'd have loved jumping the stiles and chasing the pheasants across the fields.

We still have some Ali the Lurcher 'collector cards' which we dropped in caches, and decided we would carry on doing so, until we run out. Let us know if you find one.

Look out for his travel bug 'Ali the Lurcher' http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=224659 currently in the Czech Republic.

Enjoy your hounds everyone!

Gareth and Sarah

A few weeks ago, my dog of 14 years stopped eating her regular food. We swapped her to tastier stuff and she resumed eating. She stopped again and we took her to the vet. Her bloodwork was perfect and her breathing and heart sounded fine, so we brought her home and got her tastier wet food. After a day or two, she stopped eating that, too.

Back to the vet, we went. More bloodwork and a full body CT revealed nothing wrong. On a whim, our vet ordered a chest x-ray. He was shocked to find darkened lungs. We threw her on antibiotics to treat possible pneumonia (even though her breathing was fine) and ruled it out in a couple of days.

He did a needle biopsy to see what was in there and sent the slides for cytology. On my way to the vet from work on Friday, I got the call from my vet. Malignant. By the time I got to the vet's, she was laboring to breathe.

I had to put Darby the Wonder Pup down.

:anitongue: Sorry to hear about Ali and Darby. A geopup is hard to let go of. They become part of the family so quickly that we don't remember it happening until they are gone. I've had several dogs, and every one has been very special.

My current geopup is named Ellie. She's a Yellow Lab.

c66d0c3c-4bb8-4dba-ae86-2bc26b0487c9.jpg

18 Months old now.

:anitongue: Sorry to hear about Ali and Darby. A geopup is hard to let go of. They become part of the family so quickly that we don't remember it happening until they are gone. I've had several dogs, and every one has been very special.

My current geopup is named Ellie. She's a Yellow Lab.

c66d0c3c-4bb8-4dba-ae86-2bc26b0487c9.jpg

18 Months old now.

Thanks Bob. Ellie looks great! I see so many overweight and fat labradors around here I forget how they should look. She looks in great condition!

This topic's been around a while and I'm happy to help keep it going. Here's Jack (half my geocaching name). He's semi-retired due to age and arthritis but manages the easy walks for a little caching. And he always enjoys a dip in the water. I haven't hidden a cache yet but I'm thinking of trying a dog themed cache.

dedaf5c1-df15-4e12-8837-fa9dfa70fa5e.jpg

Here are both halves of my caching name, Jack & Rocky.

27b37856-4dfc-4023-b3bb-c927bd971443.jpg

Edited by jackrock

Here's our Toy Fox Terrier - Mitch the Caching K9:

mitchatdeadmanscache.jpg

Anyone who has cached in the Cleveland/Akron area has probably run across a cache or two that he placed:

Emmit Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog

Mitch Parades the Circle

Out There and Loving It!

Soap Box View

Zorba

Monk's Coffee Shop

Mitch Was Here!

Mitch Bemoans Paved Paradise

Pesky Black Squirrels

Mitch Plays Tennis

Mitch Views a Viaduct

Mitch Gets High on a Bridge

Daisy Hill Puppy Farm?!

West 65th Street Tunnel

Bath Memorial Cache

Not That There's Anything Wrong With That!

If we only could teach him how to maintain them when the logbook gets full or the cache gets wet!