Geowoodstock 4

Airmapper

I want to know about Geowoodstock.

Well, I'm the official GW4 Consultant and Travel Bug Wrangler for the event, since I was the only one from my group to attend GW3.

GeoWoodstock is the brainchild of the most esteemed geocacher, JoGPS.

In a nutshell, it was originally started to bring together some of the geocachers with the highest number of finds and/or the folks most dedicated to the sport. Just a friendly gathering with no competition involved.

Well, it grew into something much more. Now it's an opportunity to meet and greet a wide variety of the geocaching continuum: Cachers old & new, volunteer approvers, stand out geo-personalities, famous geocaching dogs, guys in kilts, and maybe even some honest to goodness Groundspeak Staff if they decide to come again. B)

I may never make it to Texas, but it sure looks like a good reason to go.

I made a 2,000 mile roundtrip to attend GW3. After hearing about all the folks that showed up to GW2 from Mustard Devil, I just couldn't miss it.

I wasn't disappointed! GeoWoodstock III was a veritable Who's Who of geocaching and these here forums.

Given the growth if this event, GeoWoodstockIV is going to be bigger, (I can't really say better until June 2006. We have some BIG shoes to fill.) longer and UNCUT. Events (unrelated to GW :D ) are to be held Friday through Monday..... I'm hosting the Friday night event and I'll be giving away approx. 200 regular sized seed caches containing about 10,000 micros for my One Degree of Separation project. Chances are, even if you don't get to GW4, you'll get a chance to log a piece of it. :o

Put a watch on the page and see who posts. Last year the average number of finds per cacher was something like 1500! :D There was OVER 500 in attendance, so do the math.

My head was spinning from meeting sooooo many people.

Wanna know MORE???

Go to the website listed on the event page.

Check out the previous GW Event pages.

Read Today's Cacher issue #1.

Look at the pinned threads in the Organized Geocaching & Travel Bug Forums.

Edited by Snoogans

Snoogans post pretty much summed it up perfectly except he missed one important aspect about the heart and soul of Geo-Woodstock; It's all about the NUMBERS! :o

Just some numbers that matter:

• number of cachers you will meet
  • number of forum friends you will meet
  • number of times you will say-"It's soo cooool to finally meet you"
  • number of states represented
  • number of countries represented
  • number of states you can cache in on the way to/from the event
  • number of caches you can find IF you want to
  • number of TB's you can see/swap IF you want to
  • number of geocoins you can see/swap IF you want to
  • number of amazing memories you will take away from the event!

Be there, or regret it..... :D:D

I'm hosting the Friday night event and I'll be giving away approx. 200 regular sized seed caches containing about 10,000 micros for my One Degree of Separation project.

Hey Snoogans.... Can I have one to take back to Connecticut?! I promise I'll make it an evil hide!! :o

That's a cool idea! One degree of Snoogans! :D

Can I stay with the hippies? :D

Edited by 1NatureMom

“”It's all about the NUMBERS!”” as wimseyguy said, and as most will agree with those that have attended a Geo-Woodstock that the number of amazing memories you will take away from the event is the best one.

Also an important number is how many times will you be kicking yourself for not getting in on the fun if you are unable to attend … …. JOE

I'm hosting the Friday night event and I'll be giving away approx. 200 regular sized seed caches containing about 10,000 micros for my One Degree of Separation project.

Hey Snoogans.... Can I have one to take back to Connecticut?! I promise I'll make it an evil hide!! ;)

That's a cool idea! One degree of Snoogans! ;)

Can I stay with the hippies? ;)

Sure. It's first come, first served for the seed caches (Friday night) and a few special ones to be drawn for, but I'm hopefully going to have enough extra micros so that everyone that wants to participate can have one.

It actually isn't going to be one degree of Snoogans anymore. (OK, it will be sorta.) :):) The intent would be that these caches, even if only half the total amount get placed, would make every geocacher just about one degree off from every other one. Think about it. 10k+ caches with the potential of going anywhere in the world. No one with even a handful of finds will be more than two degrees off if this works the way I've planned.

All of the caches will have adoption names (chosen from a long list by the hider) and there will be a tracking website to see where they all go and who places each one. It's all going to be voluntary. The hiders will update the site with information on their caches. It would be a total nightmare if I had to do it all.

Here is an interesting link on the subject....

Anyways, this is the GW4 thread... I'll start a thread about this project when we're a little closer to the date. ;)

I had such a great time at GWIII meeting everyone that I really want to go to GWIV, but it's too far to drive and I hate to admit it but I'm afraid to fly. ;)

El Diablo

Someone drug him like they used to do to the big guy in A team and sneak him onto the plane. We enjoyed seeing you at GWIII El Diablo

We will be there, the Original Geowoodstock was fun, BUT GWII & GWIII were a lot of fun, We can only imagine how much more fun there is to have... After GWIII I was informed all my vactions will be scheduled around GW. JoGPS thanks for the wonderful Idea of bring the best of the caching world together for one big event every year. B)

See everyone in May,

Tater :lol: