The Death Of Geocaching?

Geo Froggy

Increased accuracy will not kill geocaching.

Geocaching is a fad that will die out on its own in a few years, much as the hula hoop did in the 50's and the BigWheel did in the 60's, and CB Radio did in the 70's, leaving future archaeologists to wonder why we stashed so many ammo cans full of cheap junk everywhere and felt it necessary to hunt them. I get a chuckle when I think of the many Ph.D. dissertations that will be written by future generations of grad students to try to explain this cultural phenomenon.

:ph34r:

Recently we looked into getting a lot surveyed. They use superaccurate GPS eqpt which replaces the old find a beanchmark and work your way over from there with line of sight. Faster, better, cheaper and can be done in almost all kinds of weather.

CM accuracy survey eqpt

As you can see from about the vendor claims CM accuracy for this GPS Survey eqpt.

So it's probably more a matter of eqpt design such as antenea design, calibration modes, sampling rates and more.....

I am not familiar with the survey units, but I suspect the big drawback to using one of these for caching would be the time it takes to get a reading accurate to 1 few cm.

In my case with my puny little magellan platinum, When i get within about 150' I've learned to sit down and "let the cache come to me". (The reading slowly creeps closer)

After about 5 minutes, i move in. many times not doing this I have walked past the cache on the trail.

There are things more important than accuracy in finding caches.

CM accuracy survey eqpt

OBTW your link is broken

Edited by ChurchCampDave
Increased accuracy will not kill geocaching.

Geocaching is a fad that will die out on its own in a few years, much as the hula hoop did in the 50's and the BigWheel did in the 60's, and CB Radio did in the 70's, leaving future archaeologists to wonder why we stashed so many ammo cans full of cheap junk everywhere and felt it necessary to hunt them. I get a chuckle when I think of the many Ph.D. dissertations that will be written by future generations of grad students to try to explain this cultural phenomenon.

:D

I disagree, geocaching is not a "fad" like the things you mentioned, it isn't anywhere from reaching a critical mass in the public consciousness as these things did and comparing it to these cultural phenomena and is really apples to oranges.

Letterboxing originated in 1854 and is still around.

Geocaching will continue to thrive, change and evolve pursued a very limited but enthusastic sub-set of society.

Satellites for the American GPS or for the new Galileo system?

It is a US government contract. As far as I know it doesn't have a name, and won't be operational for another 5 years.

Jackie

I think with this the US will be some years to late.

In 2010 Europe will have Galileo.

Now the good news for us.

I was reading at this Homepage http://www.wdr.de/themen/wirtschaft/2/gali...lit/index.jhtml

The free signal will be +- 4 meters. And the one you have to pay for will be +- some cm.

So everything will be like before.

The only thing is that the US can not turn the Glileo System off like the GPS System.