Letterboxer

Lee-2

I'm planning on hitting my first letterbox tomorrow. Before going I was trying to figure out the stamp thing myself.

What I found out is that any stamp is pretty much fine, but a unique, personal stamp is best. It's just more interesting for both the letterbox owner and the one who finds the letterbox.

I looked for a unique stamp to use but couldn't really find anything I liked. So I looked for a stamp carving kit in one of the local art craft stores with no luck. So I bought an exacto knife and a rubber eraser and made my own stamp. I'll hopefully find the letterbox tomorrow and see how well my stamp turned out.

I’m trying to learn all about Geocaching before I get started.

I’ve been reading about Letterboxer.

I have a question about it.

Can I purchase a stamp from an arts and craft store to use?

Thanks, L-2

You're best addressing this question to the letterboxing forums.

From what I know of letterboxing as a casual participant and visitor to the their forums, is that many traditional letterboxers frown on purchased stamps, while others have no problem with it. I think the former seems to be in the majority.

It's kind of like the Walmart micro vs. traditional geocaching argument.

From what I know of letterboxing as a casual participant and visitor to the their forums, is that many traditional letterboxers frown on purchased stamps, while others have no problem with it. I think the former seems to be in the majority.

I'm also a letterboxer and that's a good description. I'd say, most folks frown on off-the-shelf stamps and feel you should carve you own personal stamp or, as a minimum, have a custom stamp made.

It's kind of like the Walmart micro vs. traditional geocaching argument.

Hmm...then I guess we're probably really frowned upon when we find a letterbox hybrid cache and don't leave any kind of a stamp mark! ;)

We've found probably 3 or 4 in our 550+ caches, and we don't have a stamp. So, we just sign the log book like with any other cache. Oops!

Edited by lindsychris

Hmm...then I guess we're probably really frowned upon when we find a letterbox hybrid cache and don't leave any kind of a stamp mark! ;)

We've found probably 3 or 4 in our 550+ caches, and we don't have a stamp. So, we just sign the log book like with any other cache. Oops!

Not really.

You found a letterbox hybrid which means it's a geocache first, with letterbox qualities. I think stamping is purely optional.

Ed

TB&TB

I'm sorry...but I have to say this. I find it patently ridiculous that one would be frowned upon for using a store bought stamp to letterbox with. Who is going to check? Is there soem one standig at the box who's going to inspect your stamp before allowing you to use it?

I swear I am not trying to sound callous or smarta**, but come ON...this philosophy takes the cake, IMO.

I'm sorry...but I have to say this. I find it patently ridiculous that one would be frowned upon for using a store bought stamp to letterbox with. <snp>

Have to agree. We own one letterbox hybird cache, and I enjoy looking at all of the stamps in the logs, store bought or otherwise. A few stampless folks have even drawn a picture by hand or used a sticker - fine with us. The idea is to leave a little picture that represents you - if you find a stamp in a store that represents you, go for it!

I'm sorry...but I have to say this.  I find it patently ridiculous that one would be frowned upon for using a store bought stamp to letterbox with.

Are you a letterboxer? Some people think geocaching is patently ridiculous too, but then normally they aren't geocachers. In fact, I have family memebers that ridicule it and me for doing it at every family get together.

Is there soem one standig at the box who's going to inspect your stamp before allowing you to use it?

No. No more than there's someone watching when you exchange a broken McDonald toy for a pocket watch in a cache. But, that doesn't prevent other cachers from frowning on you for doing it. The owner and others do see your stamp when they look at the logs or your letterboxes hoping to see interesting stamps. They won't kill your firstborn, but they may be disappointed and feel you aren't "playing the game."

I swear I am not trying to sound callous or smarta**, but come ON...this philosophy takes the cake, IMO.

It's not so much trying to sound that way as coming off that way when you make condescending remarks ridiculing other people's hobbies. For some people, most of the hobby is seeing unique handcrafted stamps and making their own. Ideally the stamp in the letterbox is related to the theme of the letter box. A letter box of mine is named "By the Bayou." It's located beside a bayou and the stamp is a picture of an egret. Egrets populate the bayou.

It means more if you spend an hour or two carving a stamp of your design than picking up one at Michael's for 50¢ that everybody's seen a dozen times before and have nothing of you in it. Your stamp won't look as pretty or as perfect as the 50¢ one, but for some it's part of the hobby. If you don't like it don't do it, but making put downs and condesending remarks about a hobby others enjoy is something else again.

Hmm...then I guess we're probably really frowned upon when we find a letterbox hybrid cache and don't leave any kind of a stamp mark! :D

I don't think hybrids require a stamp. Letterboxers will stamp them and geocachers won't unless they have a stamp and in this case an off-the-shelf stamp will be great.

There are only a couple of letterbox hybrids in all of Houston, whereas there are probably a couple of hundred letterboxes.

I'm sorry...but I have to say this.  I find it patently ridiculous that one would be frowned upon for using a store bought stamp to letterbox with.

Are you a letterboxer? Some people think geocaching is patently ridiculous too, but then normally they aren't geocachers. In fact, I have family memebers that ridicule it and me for doing it at every family get together.

Is there soem one standig at the box who's going to inspect your stamp before allowing you to use it?

No. No more than there's someone watching when you exchange a broken McDonald toy for a pocket watch in a cache. But, that doesn't prevent other cachers from frowning on you for doing it. The owner and others do see your stamp when they look at the logs or your letterboxes hoping to see interesting stamps. They won't kill your firstborn, but they may be disappointed and feel you aren't "playing the game."

It's not so much trying to sound that way as coming off that way when you make condescending remarks ridiculing other people's hobbies. For some people, most of the hobby is seeing unique handcrafted stamps and making their own. Ideally the stamp in the letterbox is related to the theme of the letter box. A letter box of mine is named "By the Bayou." It's located beside a bayou and the stamp is a picture of an egret. Egrets populate the bayou.

It means more if you spend an hour or two carving a stamp of your design than picking up one at Michael's for 50¢ that everybody's seen a dozen times before and have nothing of you in it. Your stamp won't look as pretty or as perfect as the 50¢ one, but for some it's part of the hobby. If you don't like it don't do it, but making put downs and condesending remarks about a hobby others enjoy is something else again.

In fact...I do letterbox, and in fact, I have 2 stamps. one I made myself (and man, is it bad...IMO. as in really really low tech.) the other was made by some one, and given to me. So, in effect, I do not fall in the "frowned upon" category.

(and for the record...I receive more than my share of ridicule from all sides regarding being a letterboxer/geocacher...)

my point is...how sad that some one would tell another that their stamp isn't "worthy" because it is store bought, or "I've seen it before". I don't see this as falling with in the "trade up or even" guidelines, either. It just shocks me that anyone would have the audacity to tell some one else that "I really don't want you to stamp the log in my letterbox because *sniff* you bought your stamp from a store." :D

I really had thought I'd heard it all. :D

Hmm...then I guess we're probably really frowned upon when we find a letterbox hybrid cache and don't leave any kind of a stamp mark!  :D

We've found probably 3 or 4 in our 550+ caches, and we don't have a stamp.  So, we just sign the log book like with any other cache.  Oops!

I don't think hybrids require a stamp. Letterboxers will stamp them and geocachers won't unless they have a stamp and in this case an off-the-shelf stamp will be great.

There are only a couple of letterbox hybrids in all of Houston, whereas there are probably a couple of hundred letterboxes.

Letterbox hybrids do require a stamp. A letterbox hybrid cache is both a letterbox AND an geocache, so that means at minimum it should have a stamp.

As far as finders, if you're letterboxer then stamp in and if you're a geocacher log in the way you normally would.

I'm sorry...but I have to say this. I find it patently ridiculous that one would be frowned upon for using a store bought stamp to letterbox with. Who is going to check? Is there soem one standig at the box who's going to inspect your stamp before allowing you to use it?

Hand carved stamps are a big part of letterboxing and the one of the letterboxing mores that has developed over the years. Nobody is going to shoot you if you use a store bought stamp, but if you go to a gathering of letterboxers, be ready to have people glance in your direction and speak in hushed tones. :D

I don't think hybrids require a stamp.  Letterboxers will stamp them and geocachers won't unless they have a stamp and in this case an off-the-shelf stamp will be great.

Letterbox hybrids do require a stamp.

From the cache listing requirements page:

Letterbox Hybrid

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues to direct hunters to a hidden container. Each letterbox contains a stamp which is the signature for that box. Most letterboxers have their own personal stamps and personal logbooks. They stamp the letterbox logbook with their personal stamp, and use the stamp contained in the letterbox to “sign” their personal logbook.

Letterbox hybrids are a mixture of letterbox and geocache. They should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for traditional caches and therefore must contain a logbook. They must be referenced by latitude and longitude, not just clues. Whether or not the letterbox hybrid contains trade items is up to the owner. In most cases personal stamp and personal logbook are not necessary to be a seeker of a letterbox hybrid. [emphasis added]

I don't think hybrids require a stamp.  Letterboxers will stamp them and geocachers won't unless they have a stamp and in this case an off-the-shelf stamp will be great.

From the cache listing requirements page:

Letterbox Hybrid

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues to direct hunters to a hidden container. Each letterbox contains a stamp which is the signature for that box. Most letterboxers have their own personal stamps and personal logbooks. They stamp the letterbox logbook with their personal stamp, and use the stamp contained in the letterbox to “sign” their personal logbook.

Letterbox hybrids are a mixture of letterbox and geocache. They should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for traditional caches and therefore must contain a logbook. They must be referenced by latitude and longitude, not just clues. Whether or not the letterbox hybrid contains trade items is up to the owner. In most cases personal stamp and personal logbook are not necessary to be a seeker of a letterbox hybrid. [emphasis added]

That is in reference to the personal stamp carried by the finder. The box itself must have a stamp or its not a letterbox hybrid. Read the second sentence in the paragraph you quoted.

I’m trying to learn all about Geocaching before I get started.

I’ve been reading about Letterboxer.

I have a question about it.

Thanks, L-2

I both Letterbox & Geocache. When I go to an area, I check to see if there are both LBs and GSs and hit both.

Currently I use a store bought stamp. I got lucky and found one that is 'me'. Its fairly large, and found another, similiar one, that is smaller. I actually also 'stamp in' with GC. I see others use labels for similiar purposes.

I picked up an ink pad and unlined, hardbound, 'sketch book' to keep my stamps from letter boxes.

Most letterboxes understand that newbies will have store bought stamps until they get around to making a unique one.

If you plan on planting letterboxes (or letterbox/gc hybrids), try to avoid putting a store bought stamp in THOSE. There, the creativity of stamps & placement are really important, over your own stamp.

I have put together a design for myself and am thinking about creating wooden nickle signature items and getting a rubber stamp, using the design. (I was going to use another scource for my stamp, but they stopped making them).

That is in reference to the personal stamp carried by the finder.

Which is precisely what I said in my reply which you even quoted when contradicting me.

To review:

He said:

Hmm...then I guess we're probably really frowned upon when we find a letterbox hybrid cache and don't leave any kind of a stamp mark!  B)

We've found probably 3 or 4 in our 550+ caches, and we don't have a stamp.  So, we just sign the log book like with any other cache.  Oops!

I said:

I don't think hybrids require a stamp.  Letterboxers will stamp them and geocachers won't unless they have a stamp . . .

You said:

And, like I said, geocachers don't have to have a stamp.

That is in reference to the personal stamp carried by the finder.

Which is precisely what I said in my reply which you even quoted when contradicting me.

To review:

He said:

Hmm...then I guess we're probably really frowned upon when we find a letterbox hybrid cache and don't leave any kind of a stamp mark!  B)

I said:

I don't think hybrids require a stamp.  Letterboxers will stamp them and geocachers won't unless they have a stamp . . .

You said:

And, like I said, geocachers don't have to have a stamp.

Well to recap, you said:

I don't think hybrids require a stamp.  Letterboxers will stamp them and geocachers won't unless they have a stamp . .

Hybrids do require a stamp. The cache is what you were referring to when you said "hybrids" and hybrids need a stamp or they are just geocaches.

Edited by briansnat

Let me see if I can clear anything up.

In order for a cache to be considered a letterbox hybrid, there must be a stamp in the physical box. Geocachers and letterboxers alike may seek these hybrids. Some may or may not stamp the book.

Letterboxers will certainly stamp...geocachers may not.

But, in order for a "letterbox" to be listed on GC.com, it must contain 2 elements...the logbook, to be considered the cache, and a stamp, to be considered the letterbox.

Many "hybrids" are listed on letterboxing.org as well. But not all letterboxes are listed on gc.com.

In order for a cache to be considered a letterbox hybrid, there must be a stamp in the physical box. Geocachers and letterboxers alike may seek these hybrids. Some may or may not stamp the book.

But, in order for a "letterbox" to be listed on GC.com, it must contain 2 elements...the logbook, to be considered the cache, and a stamp, to be considered the letterbox.

Many "hybrids" are listed on letterboxing.org as well. But not all letterboxes are listed on gc.com.

I think you nailed it.

In order for a cache to be considered a letterbox hybrid, there must be a stamp in the physical box.  Geocachers and letterboxers alike may seek these hybrids.  Some may or may not stamp the book.

Many "hybrids" are listed on letterboxing.org as well.  But not all letterboxes are listed on gc.com.

I think you nailed it.

let's hope so.... B)

The defining characteristic of a letterbox cache is that it has a stamp. Otherwise it would be a traditional cache. Hence, it goes without saying that it contains a stamp. The question was whether a cacher who finds it must have a stamp.

Edited by Thot
The defining characteristic of a letterbox cache is that it has a stamp.  Otherwise it would be a traditional cache.

which, is in essence, what both of you were saying, just in different terms.

at least that's what it seemed liked.

Then I have to conclude you weren't reading very carefully.

Thank you, Auntie Weasel, for bringing the thread back on topic. (Now *there's* a sentence I enjoyed writing!) The topic of this thread is:

I am declaring the sidebar discussion to be officially closed, and in that regard I wish to thank 4leafclover for stepping in and summarizing things. Now, back to talking about making vs. buying stamps!

It's not so much trying to sound that way as coming off that way when you make condescending remarks ridiculing other people's hobbies.

Indeed.

I first heard of geocaching when I encountered a cacher while out chasing trains. Chatted with him a while and our conversation devolved into Me: "You use a GPS to chase boxes buried in the woods? Him: You use a scanner to follow a train and watch the same train at a different location? We were both convinced the other was crazy! But we both departed with the agreement that there were different strokes for different folks - and there was room enough in the woods for both of us.

It's a few years later, and geocaching just kept sticking in my brain... I've was given a GPS for Christmas - and now I'm seeking caches too! (Three tries, three aborts so far - not so different from chasing trains, some days there is an interesting one, some days there isn't.)

If there's a letterbox/hybrid on my list of caches to search for, I will bring my store-bought stamp, and ink pad. I have some artistic talents, but carving is not one of them. I have accidentally found two letterboxes. I do not letterbox, so I did not log them anywhere. Perhaps, if I letterboxed (is that a verb?), I might make an attempt at a large blob that I would call a dolphin. The world is probably better off that I not make this attempt!

Incidentally the last letterbox/hybrid that I found did not have a stamp that I could find. I noted this in my log.

As the owner of a letterbox hybrid cache, let me say that my cache does not contain a personal handmade stamp. It is store bought. The first stamp was the tree of life that you see on the cache page. The cache came up missing after a short time. I wanted to find the same stamp to replace it, since the theme of my letterbox cache is part of my family tree, but I was not able to readily find another like it. I have no desire to carve my own.

I recently replaced the cache, including the stamp, and enabled the cache for finding again. It has a store bought stamp. Not a tree. But I like what I got to put in there anyway. If anyone has a problem with stamping their personal letterbox log with my stamp, then I guess they don't have to stamp it, do they?

I wanted to place a letterbox hybrid because there were none in our area. I rather like this cache as it has personal meaning to me and I couldn't care less whether the stamp in it was made by me or some other talented person for a company that makes rubber stamps.

While the first 'cache' I ever found was a letterbox from letterboxing.org and it did contain a handmade stamp, I would not have been disappointed in the least if it had been a store bought one. The fun for me was finding the letterbox.

Edited by Pipanella

I likewise own a letterbox hybrid, and it also has a store bought stamp. I like the stamp in my cache (it was selected for the purpose), and not one person who has logged the cache has complained about the stamp!

The first stamp I placed in the box turned up missing (I suspect it was traded by a cacher who didn't understand, because the rest of the cache was fine). Personally, I don't want to spend a lot of time making (or money buying) a custom stamp when either the cache or the stamp within may turn up missing.

You want to use a custom stamp, more power to you. But let's not imply that they a hand carved or custom stamp is either a requirement or even an expectation - it isn't.

I likewise own a letterbox hybrid, and it also has a store bought stamp. I like the stamp in my cache (it was selected for the purpose), and not one person who has logged the cache has complained about the stamp!

The first stamp I placed in the box turned up missing (I suspect it was traded by a cacher who didn't understand, because the rest of the cache was fine). Personally, I don't want to spend a lot of time making (or money buying) a custom stamp when either the cache or the stamp within may turn up missing.

You want to use a custom stamp, more power to you. But let's not imply that they a hand carved or custom stamp is either a requirement or even an expectation - it isn't.

Exactly. Since my entire cache came up missing, I'm very glad I didn't go through the agony (for me) of making my own stamp for it. I didn't hear any complaints about the store bought stamp either.

And 'bro, you probably would be able to tell the difference between a store bought one and a handmade one. I saw the handmade one in the letterbox I found (it was a mosquito - very well done) and it definitely looks different than ones you buy in the store.

I'm sorry...but I have to say this.  I find it patently ridiculous that one would be frowned upon for using a store bought stamp to letterbox with.  <snp>

Have to agree. We own one letterbox hybird cache, and I enjoy looking at all of the stamps in the logs, store bought or otherwise. A few stampless folks have even drawn a picture by hand or used a sticker - fine with us. The idea is to leave a little picture that represents you - if you find a stamp in a store that represents you, go for it!

I've only found two LB hybrid caches, and in both I drew a little picture just to play along.

I'm very glad I didn't go through the agony (for me) of making my own stamp for it. I didn't hear any complaints about the store bought stamp either.

Making a stamp is not agony. Its not even hard. I have zero artistic ability and I made my stamp out of rubber eraser in about 3 minutes. My wife has slightly more artistic ability and her's took all of 5 minues. Its simply a stick figure of her on skis.

As far as complaints, if geocachers consist of most of the finders of your hybrid, they are not likely to complain as most are not aware of the mores of the letterboxing world. The letterboxers who find it are not likely to log online so if they do have issues, you're not going to hear them.

But let's not imply that they a hand carved or custom stamp is either a requirement or even an expectation - it isn't.

Its not a requirement, but it is an expectation in the letterboxing world. Most letterboxing websites make prominent mention of hand carved or custom stamps. Many larger websites feel custom stamps are important enough to provide tutorials on how to make one. Here is what some letterboxing websites say about custom stamps.

From the home page of the Letterboxing NA website:

"LETTERBOXING is an intriguing pastime combining navigational skills and rubber stamp artistry in a charming "treasure hunt" style outdoor quest."

From AtlasQuest's FAQ:

"What is a signature stamp?

A signature stamp is a unique stamp that represents yourself in some manner, and can be stamped into logbooks you find to show you've been there. Most letterboxers will urge you to create a hand-carved stamp rather than a store-bought one because we enjoy seeing what others can create. No artistic talent necessary!

From Letterboxing.org's FAQ:

"What's the Deal With the Personal Stamp?

The personal stamp is your personal mark that you leave in the logbook of each box you find. It is a rubber stamp that you either carve yourself or have custom made. Creating your personal stamp is of course part of the art; it's your signature in the letterboxing world. You would not typically buy an off-the-shelf rubber stamp to use as your personal stamp unless you were really anxious to get started, or saw something that was "you". Almost all personal stamps these days are hand-carved.

Edited by briansnat

I personally like the idea of geocaching, letterboxing, benchmarking, and Waymarking (now that most of the virtuals, earthcaches, etc... are being moved). Because of this, I've started to look for more thank just the letterbox hybrids. I was quite shocked to see how many letterboxes are around (found on letterboxing.org). Therefore I took the couple of minutes to carve a stamp out of a rubber eraser for use on letterboxes, and since I now have it, on letterbox-hybrids as well.

It's not that I think a store bought stamp isn't worthy, but l find some fun in it, and it's more interesting for the people who do letterboxing. Besides, the 25 cent eraser that I carved is actually 33 cents cheaper than a small store bought stamp.

It's not always true that a letterbox hybrid was a geocache first and then a letterbox. The one hybrid I know of in my area was a letterbox that a cacher looking for a site in that park learned of and asked if he could turn it into a hybrid.

Since I don't really letterbox I simply signed that log and I don't think that is a problem because it's understood that it will sometimes be accessed by geocachers and sometimes by letterboxers, but a friend of mine who does both has put a stamp when he found it.

I cache with a stamp for just such an occasion as finding a letterbox. I do not sign cache logs with it, only letterboxes. I found one in Arizona that was in one of the prettiest locations I have ever been in. Funny thing was while looking for it, I actually stumbled on a real letterbox close by. I still can not believe that one.

The big difference that we are dealing with is that these are two hobbies appeal to different people. While they both have the same general purpose (finding secret things in pretty places) letterboxing appeals to the more artsy creative type, and geocaching is for those that are mathematical/techie.

I love to see hand made stamps. And I expect to find hand made stamps in the letterboxes I search for. That goes for the vast majority of letterboxers out there. This being because letterboxing pairs creativity with finding crap in the woods.

For your personal stamp, I don't really mind either way. Your personal signature stamp is a reflection of you and it's up to you to decide how best to express that. Whether through a manufactured stamp or the home grown variety.

I guess since we are listing the letterbox hybrid cache on geocaching.com and not letterboxing.org, then as far as I'm concerned, it's not a big deal and I couldn't care less

Why bother making it a hybrid if you're only going to list it on gc.com? How are letterboxers going to know about it? Your going through extra effort in making a cache and then excluding the group of people who might enjoy what you've done the most?

(ps. That's my old signature stamp in my avatar)

Edited by MonkeyToes108