Gps On A Bicycle

cargodog

Hi all... I'm a realtively new geocacher with only 50 finds and two caches hidden. But I am a big time road cyclist that does almost 5000 miles a year. Presently I have two GPSs. One is a magellan Explorist 200. This is the one I use for backcountry work and Geocaching. The other is a Garmin Forerunner 101. The primary purpose of this unit is as a time, speed, distance computer. I use it in my speed walking and as a cyclocomputer on my folding travel bike. Although navigation is not the forerunner's primary function, there is a way to do it. In fact, about 15 of my "finds" are with the forerunner. Both units have to be manually programed.

Well, I'm getting the urge for something newer and better. I would like to be able to link up to my computer and enter wayponts directly from geocaching.com. I also want better map data than my exporist 200 presently offers.

OK, there are a lot of GPSs that can all the above. Here's the catch,

It also has to be useable on my bicycle. It has to have either a wrist strap or a bicycle bar mount. There has to be a navigation page devoted specifically to Time, speed, distance, and other fitness type functions. Auto start/stop would be desireable. Although I don't intend to replace the cyclocomputer on my primary road bike, this unit will be the "only" computer on my folding bike. I want better map data so I can navigate the lesser used county roads in areas I'm unfamiliar. Oh yea..It is not unusual for me to geocache from the back of my bicycle.

I've been reading a lot of online manuals (PDF) and it seems some of the Garmin units can do what I want. Units such as the GPSMap60, Etrex Legend, and Etrex Vista for example. Does anyone here use a GPS on their bicycle? Do you use one of these units? How does it work for you? Any Recomendations?

Thanks in advance :laughing:

Whatever unit you get, the bike mounting is what you need.

You'll need a R-A-M (Google RAM mounts) and they will probably have a mount for any unit. There are other manufacturers out there, but RAM mounts are tough, pretty vibration resistant, and will protect the unit in case, well, something bad happens (tree branch, slick spot, hitting the front brake too hard, you know...)

Also, on the GPS end, try to find a unit that will display numerical units fairly large. I have good eyes, but when your moving a screen is hard to read on a bike.)

The eTrex line is almost ideal for this. The eTrex C units are best because of the user customizable screens. You can choose to display nearly whatever info is important to you. Speed, average speed, time moving, time stopped, itime to destination, distance traveled, distance to destination and a lot more. The only negative is that the buttons are on the side which makes them great for handheld use, but not so for bike use. The Garmin 60 and 76 series also have the same features and buttons are on the front of the unit, but they are larger and a larger unit will have more vibration issues when mounted on a bike.

The eXplorist is a good size. But it doesn't have time, speed, distance, and other fitness type functions?

I have a Legend C which does what you need and it is mounted on my motorcycle with the bicycle bar mount and there are absolutly no vibration. It just clips on and I think the size of the unit is excellent for a bar mount. The bicycle bar mount comes with two rubber pads (different thickness) for smaller or bigger bar.

PS: I agree with Briansnat as for the buttons beeing on the side but you get use to it and you can push on any one of them by putting your hand on top of the unit and just using your thumb for one side and your index for the other side. I can change to what ever page I want without blocking the screen. Even at 70 MPH. :laughing:

Edited by Nomade

First off, I think the Legend C is the best value in Garmin's hand held units. I have never used a Magellan; so, I can not offer a comparable model. Just remember you will need to purchase the optional mapping sofware (MapSource City Select) to take advantage of its most desirable feature - auto routing.

Okay, that being said. I ride bikes also; I have a road bike, mtn, hybrid, lowrider, and a tandem. The beauty of a GPS is you can use it on any people mover and not have to configure it as you would with a bike "computer". I can never set those right.

I had been using a Vista with the corresponding Garmin handlebar mounts (I have yet to find an independant manufactural). On hard bumps, the unit does shut off; this happens only on the road and hybrid bikies as they have no suspension.

When I got the Map60CS, I noticed that the latch on the windshield mount adapter seemed to match the latch on the Vista's backing plate adapter. Sure enough, I was able to attach the 60CS to the same handlebar mount; no additional parts to buy! Yippee! So, because of the 60's autorouting capabilities, I usually put that on the bikes. However, the Vista sees lots of action on the mtn bike 'cause I wipe out alot :o .

Thanks for all the replies.

Basically, you told me what I knew... The Etrex or GPSmap60.

Having to buy the mapsend program is new...I thought they came with the database already loaded like my magellan did.

To answer a few questions from above...

1. The Explorist does not have any fitness types of pages, nor time, speed, and distance function.

2. Just a suggestion, but has anyone tried using their wrist strap as a handlebar mount? I use an old heart rate monitor mount on the handlebars (sigma's) then wrap the Forerunner's wrist strap around that. It works better than Garmin's own mount. Has never been bumped off an it easily transfers between bikes.

I use my Etrex Legend on my mtn bike regularily. Garmin makes a handlebar mount that works very nicely, no vibration and secure mount. Customizable screens are great.

As for the mapping, yes, they come with a basemap already loaded, but for detailed local maps and auto-routing, you'll need the extra software. Trust me, it's worth it. I've seen places where a long farm driveway is included.

I'm a roadie too and used to bike 5000 miles a year. I now do about 3000 miles a year. I've found about 600 caches using my bicycle as transportation and many times in the middle of organized bike rides and tours.

I started with a basic Garmin eTrex, then upgraded to a Garmin 60CS. I found that the 60CS is too big and heavy (about 8 oz) on a road bike. Being spoiled with the maps of the 60CS but not wanting to spend a whole lot of money, I then bought a Garmin eTrex Legend, mainly just for using on my bike. It's "small" and "light" (about 5 oz), doesn't seem like I'm bashing it's brains around on bumpy roads like I do with the 60CS. Also I've had problems with the 60CS flying off the Garmin mount (the RAM mount is much too bulky for a road bike), whereas I've never had a problem with the Garmin eTrex mount.

Thus, for road biking, I would highly recommend any of the Garmin eTrex units and using the Garmin eTrex mount on your handlebar.

Hi all... I'm a realtively new geocacher with only 50 finds and two caches hidden. But I am a big time road cyclist that does almost 5000 miles a year. Presently I have two GPSs. One is a magellan Explorist 200. This is the one I use for backcountry work and Geocaching. The other is a Garmin Forerunner 101. The primary purpose of this unit is as a time, speed, distance computer. I use it in my speed walking and as a cyclocomputer on my folding travel bike. Although navigation is not the forerunner's primary function, there is a way to do it. In fact, about 15 of my "finds" are with the forerunner. Both units have to be manually programed.

Well, I'm getting the urge for something newer and better. I would like to be able to link up to my computer and enter wayponts directly from geocaching.com. I also want better map data than my exporist 200 presently offers.

OK, there are a lot of GPSs that can all the above. Here's the catch,

It also has to be useable on my bicycle. It has to have either a wrist strap or a bicycle bar mount. There has to be a navigation page devoted specifically to Time, speed, distance, and other fitness type functions. Auto start/stop would be desireable. Although I don't intend to replace the cyclocomputer on my primary road bike, this unit will be the "only" computer on my folding bike. I want better map data so I can navigate the lesser used county roads in areas I'm unfamiliar. Oh yea..It is not unusual for me to geocache from the back of my bicycle.

I've been reading a lot of online manuals (PDF) and it seems some of the Garmin units can do what I want. Units such as the GPSMap60, Etrex Legend, and Etrex Vista for example. Does anyone here use a GPS on their bicycle? Do you use one of these units? How does it work for you? Any Recomendations?

Thanks in advance  B)

I use an eXplorist 200 on my bicycle. It can show current speed and distance travelled.

Scott