Syf Coin Photo & Update

AtlantaGal

Okay for those of you who participated in the private sale of this coin, I just finished packing up the last of the orders. All will ship out tomorrow afternoon. You should start to recieve them early next week.

The main reason why the sale of this coin wasn't made public in the forums is because the proceeds are being donated to charity and as such, the sale of this coin within the forums would have violated geocaching.com guidelines. Several folks on the boards should have one to trade though :laughing:

Kind of hard to get a clear photo of the text and all, but this will give you a good idea how they turned out.

SYFcoin_final.jpg

Edit added: The front text reads... Caching where the wind don't blow so strange and the back text reads... Maybe on some high cold mountain range

It's modified lyrics from the song He's Gone.

Edited by AtlantaGal
Okay for those of you who participated in the private sale of this coin, I just finished packing up the last of the orders.

How do we get on these super secret mailing lists for special coins? Is there a eHandshake that we have to learn or what? Why even post in the public forums if they aren't public coins???

:lol:

Okay for those of you who participated in the private sale of this coin, I just finished packing up the last of the orders.

How do we get on these super secret mailing lists for special coins? Is there a eHandshake that we have to learn or what? Why even post in the public forums if they aren't public coins???

:lol:

It would seem like a pretty simple, yet indirect way of announcing that the coins will be available for trading soon. It certainly isn't the only coin to be designed/minted/sold in a non gc forum environment.

It would seem like a pretty simple, yet indirect way of announcing that the coins will be available for trading soon.  It certainly isn't the only coin to be designed/minted/sold in a non gc forum environment.

We understand that and realize that this isn't the first coin to be announced in this way. Maybe we shouldn't have said anything, but there are a few of us "serious" collectors who don't get the inside info like some and have to bite and claw to get some of these "non-public" coins. Those that have the inside scoop easily get their collection where they want them while those that don't are sometimes just screwed.

Maybe we should have started this in the whining thread, or (again) not have said anything at all. Sorry to have hi-jacked this thread.

I told myself I wasn't going to respond to the negative comments in this thread. Yet here I am doing so.

This coin was an idea I have had for a few months. I wanted to see it represented in a final coin because it's a coin I wanted to own. With that said, I didn't have the money necessary to fund another coin edition nor did I want to design a commercial coin where I had a personal financial gain from the sale of it. To solve my delemma and be able to cover the costs associated with purchasing and distributing a coin, I decided that I would just donate any money made from the coin sales to a charity. Once that decision was made, this coin HAD to be a private sale because of the rules & guidelines on this geocoin forum.

I was deeply moved by the PA Black Nickle Coin auction and the story behind it. I didn't personally know Pennstategirl, but since she was a penn stater, I am sure I would have liked her very much. I wasn't able to seriously participate in that auction because frankly, I don't have an extra $1500 laying around to purchase a single coin with. I am originally from PA, was a penn state football season ticket holder for many years while growing up there, my step father is PSU alumni, and I flat out love the Nittany Lions! Donating the few hundred dollars this coin sale generated was my way of giving with a coin design that meant something to me personally.

There will be 3 associated charity auctions on that "E" place that involve different variations of this coin. The first goes live tonight at 7:15 pm PST (Thank you coins and pins for making this possible!)

I appologise that not everybody and their grandmother were on the presale email list for this coin. It's a limited coin. So it wasn't possible to include everyone and I didn't think everyone would be interested in this coin either. However, I don't see any benefit negativity and complaints about it will bring to anyone. Besides there should be plenty of people in this forum that will have this coin available for trade late next week if it's a coin you really want to own.

It would seem like a pretty simple, yet indirect way of announcing that the coins will be available for trading soon.  It certainly isn't the only coin to be designed/minted/sold in a non gc forum environment.

We understand that and realize that this isn't the first coin to be announced in this way. Maybe we shouldn't have said anything, but there are a few of us "serious" collectors who don't get the inside info like some and have to bite and claw to get some of these "non-public" coins. Those that have the inside scoop easily get their collection where they want them while those that don't are sometimes just screwed.

Maybe we should have started this in the whining thread, or (again) not have said anything at all. Sorry to have hi-jacked this thread.

I don't really see how this coin is any different than the Swags coin, any of the seasonal MIGO coins, or the impending Nurse Dave Group coin. Only some people are given the opportunity to purchase.

In addition, there are several other groups that are now making coins that will only be sold to group members.

I told myself I wasn't going to respond to the negative comments in this thread. Yet here I am doing so.

This coin was an idea I have had for a few months. I wanted to see it represented in a final coin because it's a coin I wanted to own. With that said, I didn't have the money necessary to fund another coin edition nor did I want to design a commercial coin where I had a personal financial gain from the sale of it.  To solve my delemma and be able to cover the costs associated with purchasing and distributing a coin, I decided that I would just donate any money made from the coin sales to a charity. Once that decision was made, this coin HAD to be a private sale because of the rules & guidelines on this geocoin forum.

I was deeply moved by the PA Black Nickle Coin auction and the story behind it. I didn't personally know Pennstategirl, but since she was a penn stater, I am sure I would have liked her very much. I wasn't able to seriously participate in that auction because frankly, I don't have an extra $1500 laying around to purchase a single coin with. I am originally from PA, was a penn state football season ticket holder for many years while growing up there, my step father is PSU alumni, and I flat out love the Nittany Lions! Donating the few hundred dollars this coin sale generated was my way of giving with a coin design that meant something to me personally.

There will be 3 associated charity auctions on that "E" place that involve different variations of this coin. The first goes live tonight at 7:15 pm PST (Thank you coins and pins for making this possible!)

I appologise that not everybody and their grandmother were on the presale email list for this coin. It's a limited coin. So it wasn't possible to include everyone and I didn't think everyone would be interested in this coin either. However, I don't see any benefit negativity and complaints about it will bring to anyone. Besides there should be plenty of people in this forum that will have this coin available for trade late next week if it's a coin you really want to own.

We salute you AG for your effort. ;)

Sha wing!

Wayne%27s-world.jpg

;)

Edited by Mystery Ink

I understand why AtlantaGal did her sale the way she did and have no problem with it but it is a shame that more and more people will only be doing private sales. I belong to one of those groups and personally I won't be ordering any of the coins unless they become open to the public. What fun is it when people start excluding others. The MIGO is different because anyone can attend of the events to receive a coin.

Edited by LadeBear68
I don't really see how this coin is any different than the Swags coin, any of the seasonal MIGO coins, or the impending Nurse Dave Group coin. Only some people are given the opportunity to purchase.

In addition, there are several other groups that are now making coins that will only be sold to group members.

But this isn't a "group" coin. It feels more like a "who's who" kind of deal. It isn't like this is like the other secret personal coins that were funded solely by their creators or the TOTAL sales are going to charity. It was created for selfish reasons and tried to look "pretty" by donating "whatever was left" to a charity.

Whatever, this topic is closed a far as we are concerned. It is our opinion and we doubt that we are the only ones. We won't be looking for this coin.

Again, sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

But this isn't a "group" coin. It feels more like a "who's who" kind of deal. It isn't like this is like the other secret personal coins that were funded solely by their creators or the TOTAL sales are going to charity. It was created for selfish reasons and tried to look "pretty" by donating "whatever was left" to a charity.

Whatever, this topic is closed a far as we are concerned. It is our opinion and we doubt that we are the only ones. We won't be looking for this coin.

Again, sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

Drama Thread ;)

Look at it this way, no one will ever have a 100% complete geocoin collection. So if you miss one or two along the way, no big deal. I've missed a bunch of geocoins and in the big scheme of things, there are more important things to worry about.

As for it being a private sale, based on Groundspeak policy toward charities, it couldn't be advertised on the forums.

On the "what I got in the mail today" thread, I see people posting "I got a super secret coin in the mail and I can't tell anyone about it" all the time. I don't get ticked at them for having a new geocoin and not telling anyone about it.

And BTW, Happy New Year to everyone! ;)

Look at it this way, no one will ever have a 100% complete geocoin collection. So if you miss one or two along the way, no big deal. I've missed a bunch of geocoins and in the big scheme of things, there are more important things to worry about.

As for it being a private sale, based on Groundspeak policy toward charities, it couldn't be advertised on the forums.

On the "what I got in the mail today" thread, I see people posting "I got a super secret coin in the mail and I can't tell anyone about it" all the time. I don't get ticked at them for having a new geocoin and not telling anyone about it.

And BTW, Happy New Year to everyone! :)

Well said Mauison. :)

People always have something to whine about usually it's best to ignore it but when the thread gets taken over by whining it gets a little old. ;)

They don't like it they don't have to post in this thread there is other threads for that. ;)

I think the coin looks great even if I wasn't getting one. I would still be happy to see it is for a worthy cause.

It isn't like this is like the other secret personal coins that were funded solely by their creators or the TOTAL sales are going to charity.  It was created for selfish reasons and tried to look "pretty" by donating "whatever was left" to a charity. 

Ouch! Kind of like your personal coins were? Oh wait, the money you made on them helped pay for the coins you kept to trade and place in caches, that's right ;) The sale of this coin wasn't made to look any particular way, "pretty" or otherwise. It is what it is. Nothing more and nothing less.

What is it they say about people in glass houses and casting stones?

Thank you very much for detracting from anything good that might come out of the production of this coin. Good job. Give yourself a pat on the back.

It's just a coin.

Edited by AtlantaGal
It was created for selfish reasons and tried to look "pretty" by donating "whatever was left" to a charity.

;) All I can say is "WOW".

God forbid someone try to do something NICE around here.

You get an official thumbs down for establishing a new low for this forum.

thumbsdown.jpg

Can't have one thumbs down make it two.

thumbsdown.jpg

Edited by Mystery Ink
It was created for selfish reasons and tried to look "pretty" by donating "whatever was left" to a charity.

;) All I can say is "WOW".

God forbid someone try to do something NICE around here.

You get an official thumbs down for establishing a new low for this forum.

thumbsdown.jpg

Well said, YY, and kudos to AtlantaGal for doing something so UNselfish for the family of a fellow geocacher she didn't even know. You have a big heart, gal! ;)