Your Avatar

Airmapper

Us Geocachers in here all seem to have an avatar we have used for a long time. I've been changing mine a lot here lately, looking for a good fit.

My point is, do you get to know other cachers by their Avatar. I go by username too, but I have a tendency to get used to another players avatar, and recognize who they are by it.

What's you avatar mean to you, have you had it for a long time? Do you change it a lot? And do you like Avatars as a way of recognizing other cachers in here.

My point is, do you get to know other cachers by their Avatar.

Absolutely. I *stole* Keystone's avatar a few months back and started a topic similiar to this one, and managed to create a minor uproar. Personally, I identify posts by avatars first, then username. They (avatars) supply a sort of cyber-face for internet users.

It is sometimes very confusing when people alter their cyber visuals, and for the most part I don't like it. I will admit that recently I have somewhat relaxed my views on this topic, and even altered my own avatar several times, but when I do, I attempt to maintain a visual theme; in my case it is the ever present outhouse, which has been my logo/trademark/cyber-face since I began my internet bantering.

What's you avatar mean to you..?

It's the only thing I could find that seemed to visually represent me (my screen name). :antenna::angry:

My point is, do you get to know other cachers by their Avatar. I go by username too, but I have a tendency to get used to another players avatar, and recognize who they are by it.

Yes, I usually recognize people by their avatars. In long threads that I skim, there are a few avatars that make me stop and read the post, and others that make me skip without reading.

What's you avatar mean to you, have you had it for a long time? Do you change it a lot?

I've had it since joining the boards, and probably will never change it. Mine only means that I like Monty Python. I found an image of the painting they used, and cropped the foot out.

I just changed my avatar. I had been using The Shadow for a while, but for Christmas, SWMBO made me up a bunch of "Found by" cards.

Since Clothahump is the name of the Aged Turtle Wizard in Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger novel series, she drew up a turtle wizard with a magic GPSr in one hand (you can't see it very well) and a cane in the other. I absolutely loved it and begged her for the jpg file, which is now my avatar on every caching site I visit.

I don't change my avatar and probably won't. I like having the same one because I can spot my posts quickly when I scroll through a thread. I know some people change theirs depending on the season or whatever but I don't bother. "Set it and forget it" is my theory. Doesn't bother me if others change theirs though. It's just fluff, kinda like desktop wallpaper or a screensaver. Pick one then forget about it.

I have been known to change mine around a bit, but only since I was looking for a true fit. I think I have found my geocaching avatar and do not plan on changing it anytime soon. The fox is represenative of my totem animal. I have been known as Snowfox to hundreds since highschool.

The fox is an in between animal, neither cat (It's eyes are feline, and it hunts like a cat- see my profile for a pic) nor is it dog see above. Some people hate them without understanding...well lets just say that it all fits me.

~SFR~

I had momentary confusion when Airmapper got rid of his Eurocopter

Ya know, I did like the Eurocopter. I'm not a helo pilot, but still think it's cool. May have to use it again. :angry:

I think Sept1c has the right idea, keeping an element like the little outhouse, so he can change it around without confusing everyone.

Since you mentioned it, I bet about everyone in here is getting confused with mine. :antenna: I'm gonna stick with one for a while when I find a good one.

I guess everyone knows about the Avatar help thread. Since the search is down I'll try and find a link, maybe I need it. :wub: Found it! on the first page under my nose.

Edited by Airmapper

While the forum moderators had "Holiday-ish" avatars, I had this avatar:

679e7bb5-b20f-407d-83e5-0b496ddf0287.jpg

Now, I'm back to this one:

5518_1600.jpg

which I've been using since July 2002.

I found myself not seeing my own posts. I would scroll through the topic looking for the tell-tale Calvin and Hobbes, and not see that orang-ish color flit by. :antenna:

I just changed my avatar. I had been using The Shadow for a while, but for Christmas, SWMBO made me up a bunch of "Found by" cards.

Since Clothahump is the name of the Aged Turtle Wizard in Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger novel series, she drew up a turtle wizard with a magic GPSr in one hand (you can't see it very well) and a cane in the other. I absolutely loved it and begged her for the jpg file, which is now my avatar on every caching site I visit.

Aha! I knew I reconized that name from somewhere, but I couldn't place it.

Those books are great, haven't read them in years. I may have to re-read those soon....

I do look for the pic to identify people, it is hard when they change it totally. Putting on a Santa hat or Easter Bunny ears in one thing, I can keep up with that.

This is the only avatar we have ever had. It was hard to come up with one. We probably will never change it. Well maybe update it as they get older. This one is pics of our 3 daughters. Aren't they sooo cute.

The super helpful folks over at the Avatar Help Thread really did a nice job in making our avatar look nice on the boards. We are very thankful to GoLeft for his help.

Just seen where I wasn't supposed to use the logo. So I'm back to my old helicopter for a while.

Oh shoot. I just read the first post from the topic you linked in your last post. Didn't know alterations of the GC quad-color were frowned upon. Looks like I'm gonna have to come up with something else.

I've changed mine 2 times but they were mostly adjustments to my current one. Given enough time and enough different changes I am sure it will bve totally different. I often look at the Avatars before the name so it gets confusing when people change. However, most stick to a theme so it isn't too bad (like CarleenP).

I tend to make only minor changes depending on the season, but on occasion I have been known to swap one cuddly little kitten for another cuddly little kitten.

When someone changes their avatar, I must admit that it occasionally takes me awhile to recognize them as someone whose posts I've been reading all along. In my own defense, I don't think I'm too dense to make the connection when I see a new avatar with a little blue Smurf, or a Viking helmet, or a chicken. :laughing:

Like Uperdooper, I'm part of a group of forum friends in Off Topic who change their avatars at the drop of a hat, to follow a theme like someone's birthday, a holiday, etc. It can be a lot of fun. Changing often -- sometimes multiple times per week -- has also made me an expert with Google image searches. Always in safe search mode, of course! :laughing:

Generally, if it's a hamster or a leprechaun, that'd be me.

I changed mine from the current edition one time when the latest Mars landing took place and I wanted to honor that event. This one represents me pretty well. I have several cats, and my username is derived from one of them, I like beer (all together now "I like it a lot") and this particular brand has special meaning to me, even though it is not one of my preferred brands. (Those who really know me get it though). I guess I'm just too lazy to come up with a better one-it fits me pretty well. :laughing:

I too get confused when the mass avatar changlings take place. I think our brains recognize and process colorful images better and faster than the printed word. I have changed my sig line a few times, but it's almost always something from lyrics that relate to what we do. ;)

I guess I'm not that attached to any kind of avatar. On some forums I visit, I set my options to show no avatars (even if I pick one for myself), but that is mostly due to not wanting to see a lack of taste some people choose to represent their own identity. I tend to just pick an avatar to represent how I feel when involved with whatever forum I am involved in. I've used "Spaceman Spiff", a brick wall, an American flag, a bug eyed monster with buck teeth, and a yin-yang as avatars of other forums as well as pictures of my actual self. On this forum we have a picture taken a couple miles from my house to represent the type of terrain we live in. I'm not so attached to it that I feel I need to stick with it, but I have no need to change it either so it stays, and probably will for some time.

If someone else chooses to use an avatar I use for their own, I can't say it would upset me. If I felt I needed to still be unique I probably would just change avatars and let the new person keep whatever they thought was so important about whatever random picture I had been using. The only one that might cause any issues is actually the one used for this forum as my wife holds copyrights to that particular print and recieves income based upon its sale. In that case its more of a rights issue than an identity issue. Luckily, I can't see any reason anyone would wish to adopt our avatar so the chances of it becomeing an issue are quite rare.

I haven't been on here long enough to "know" people by their avatars but it deffinately helps. I am a Moderator for a gaming forum called Stratics, for the game UO (Origin shard if anyone plays) and Avatars are very important there, at least for the Role Playing community. I think it just gives you a better sense of a person. Kind of like when you read a book you imagine the characters in your head, I imagine we're all a bunch of characters here...Unfortunately (or fortunately) my current avatar takes all the fun out of the imagination..oh well there's always tomorrow!