Volunteer Geocoin ?

Wij Drie

Due to customary international shipping delays, there are a number of Groundspeak volunteers who may not have received their gift packages yet. For example one of the UK reviewers got a box in the mail just today. The Iowa volunteer had a recent address change, so he is still waiting for his gift. And so on.

I hope that the volunteers who showed you all or gave you these coins explained that "mum's the word," as was told to us by Groundspeak in our super secret cache reviewers forum on December 16th when they said to allow up to three weeks for the shipping process to be completed.

My own surprise was ruined because of another volunteer putting the coins on their profile, and allowing another geocacher to log one several days prior to Christmas. I would hate to see a gift's surprise spoiled for others due to publicity. :antenna:

The above are my personal opinions as a Groundspeak volunteer.

EDIT: To clarify by adding the italicized text in response to a later post, but without bumping the thread. Shhhhh! :angry:

Edited by Keystone
I hope that the volunteers who showed you all or gave you these coins explained that "mum's the word," as was told to us by Groundspeak on December 15th when they said to allow up to three weeks for the shipping process to be completed.

I know that my own surprise was ruined because of another volunteer putting the coins on their profile, and allowing others to log them several days prior to Christmas. I would hate to see a gift's surprise spoiled for others due to publicity.

:angry: Maybe this should be posted in super secret the moderators fourm then :antenna: .

Due to customary international shipping delays, there are a number of Groundspeak volunteers who may not have received their gift packages yet. For example one of the UK reviewers got a box in the mail just today. The Iowa volunteer had a recent address change, so he is still waiting for his gift. And so on.

I hope that the volunteers who showed you all or gave you these coins explained that "mum's the word," as was told to us by Groundspeak in our super secret cache reviewers forum on December 16th when they said to allow up to three weeks for the shipping process to be completed.

My own surprise was ruined because of another volunteer putting the coins on their profile, and allowing another geocacher to log one several days prior to Christmas. I would hate to see a gift's surprise spoiled for others due to publicity. :laughing:

The above are my personal opinions as a Groundspeak volunteer.

EDIT: To clarify by adding the italicized text in response to a later post, but without bumping the thread. Shhhhh! ;)

I am writing to retract my earlier post. The volunteers have been discussing this, and Groundspeak recognizes that it's impossible to keep a good secret any longer! So, with apologies to a few volunteers who have not yet seen their gift packages, please feel free to discuss this geocoin like you would any other.

It is a very nice coin! I know I speak for the entire volunteer team when I say THANK YOU to Groundspeak for this wonderful holiday gift, and also THANK YOU to the community for your kind words about the volunteers that you are posting. :)

The volunteers are being encouraged to register ownership under their account, so that a non-volunteer would not activate and own one of the volunteer coins. But beyond that, they are gifts and the volunteers can do as they'd like with them: trade for other coins, leave one as an FTF prize, give one away as a thank-you to a helpful geocacher, etc.

Rumor has it that each volunteer did indeed receive more than one coin. :laughing:

Why not just wait till it comes up on ebay. :wub:  :)  :)  :laughing:  ;)  :)  :wub:  ;)

Oooooh, I hope not. The approver I got mine from said that the talk he got said that they never wanted to see these coins on ebay. I told him not to worry. There isn't any way in heck I'd part with it regardless :)

Edited by AtlantaGal
I am looking for this coin, I might 2 coins for it.

You'd better be ready to trade more than that for it - these are rare and went only to volunteers. With the exception of a Moun10Bike coin, I don't see these being very easy to trade for.

Anyway, a beautiful coin and a great gesture from GS.

Keep up the good (and unforgiviing) work guys and gals.

I am looking for this coin, I might 2 coins for it.

You'd better be ready to trade more than that for it - these are rare and went only to volunteers.

I think, but am in no way positive that each volunteer received 3 or 4 of these. I am guessing there should be approx. 400-500 of these coins based on the amount of volunteers/admins/mods/etc., and if Groundspeak follows their own rules for having a custom icon, lol :laughing:

I'd also be interested in trading for one of these IF it was activated by the volunteer first. It would be very cool to get one from a volunteer that I've actually met. :laughing:

That would be cool. I would love to trade for one. especially from a volunteer I knew. that would really make it a special addition to my collection.

Windrose

I think this is a great idea -- I know that if I ever found out the real names of either Cache-Advance or Mtn-Man -- they would get a Golden Geobone.  They've been outstanding in their efforts to assist me.

(hey....I guess I could PM them.....)

Off I go!

Looks like it worked, huh. ;):laughing:

Lemon Fresh Dog, you now know my name, but I still do not know what I am going to do with my volunteer coins. Your coin is indeed one of my favorite ones I have seen (for obvious reasons!). Thanks for your very nice email note and your post.

I too want to join with Keystone and thank Groundspeak for such an awesome gift. I was totally stunned when I got my package. I finally activated two early Wednesday, so they now appear in my profile. I backdated the activation to Christmas Day since it was a Christmas present.

About the only coin I would trade for out of my reviewing area is a first generation Moun10Bike coin. I will most likely give mine to one or two of the folks that have assisted me in states I review in. It is a tough decision about what to do with them, and I have been working on a short list. I would imagine that most reviewers would give them to folks in the areas they review in, but who knows. Forum volunteers might give them to people that do great work in the forums or something to that effect. Some have and will go into circulation as moving geocoins. Hopefully they will continue to move.

It will be a crying shame if one of these ends up on eBay.

So who's ready to give up that first generation Moun10Bike coin?!?!?! :)

(Not holding my breath.)

So who's ready to give up that first generation Moun10Bike coin?!?!?! :)

(Not holding my breath.)

How about my Left Arm, My right Leg, my firstborn, secondborn... or shoot... all three of them. But a First Generation M10B coin? Ain't gonna happen :laughing:

I know the last openly traded 1st gen Moun10bike went for 44 coins in trade. I also know of a recent private sale of #5 that went for the low bargain price of $900.00.

We can all dream big tho ;)

So who's ready to give up that first generation Moun10Bike coin?!?!?! :D

(Not holding my breath.)

How about my Left Arm, My right Leg, my firstborn, secondborn... or shoot... all three of them. But a First Generation M10B coin? Ain't gonna happen :D

I know the last openly traded 1st gen Moun10bike went for 44 coins in trade. I also know of a recent private sale of #5 that went for the low bargain price of $900.00.

We can all dream big tho B)

Actually, I traded one more recently than that, I my trade was for 16 coins.

Edited to say that my trade was more recent than the previous trade, not the private sale! :o

Edited by Cornerstone4
[Your coin is indeed one of my favorite ones I have seen (for obvious reasons!).

Hey, waitaminute! :o

I did say "one of". Yours is another in that category.

I saw that one dhenninger. I was truly honored. Maybe it will make its way down here and I can actually log it. That would be very cool.

Actually, I traded one more recently than that, I my trade was for 16 coins.

Of course I knew about yours too, but since it was kinda secret, I didn't know if I should mention it. Plus I couldn't remember how many coins you traded or how much gas it took ya to drive to pick it up :o

'Sides, you know yours was a steal of a deal in comparison to the other two I mentioned.

I haven't touched one yet, and it will probably be a long time before I can, but they are nice, and they should be. I hope that all the volunteers keep these, which would make them more valuable, causing the volunteers then to have something that is more valuable for the efforts that they go through for the sake of caching.