Usb Serial Adapter For A Magellan

Iowa Tom

I purchased a USB to serial port adapter called DYNEX a while back. I got it to work linking my PC to my GPSr but only once out of many tries did I get it to work with my Del Laptop using XP. Does anyone know of a reliable cord with this function that will work with a Magellan Sportrak Map? By the way, I just accidentally fried my Sportrak! :D That would not have happened had I not had trouble with that worthless cord I bought at Best Buy.

Thanks.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

I think Magellan sells an adaptor. I would assume it would work.

Personally I used a ISOgear adaptor that I got at Best Buy. Finding an adaptor that works for everyone is a hit and miss thing because of the wide range of computer setups. Sometimes people can get them working by searching for an updated driver, or trying a different driver provided on the product disk, or like in my case not installing a driver at all (I just plug in the cable and let XP pro decide what to do). Sometimes non of those things work and they have try another cable...

If your gps is damaged that would really suck!! I think thats one of the reasons both garmin and magellan sell their own adaptors, one thats supposed to carry a safe amount of voltage, but since those cables also cost like 2x the price of one bought elsewhere a lot of people skip it.

sorry I can't be of much help, hope everything works out ok :D

I purchased a USB to serial port adapter called DYNEX a while back. I got it to work linking my PC to my GPSr but only once out of many tries did I get it to work with my Del Laptop using XP. Does anyone know of a reliable cord with this function that will work with a Magellan Sportrak Map? By the way, I just accidentally fried my Sportrak! :laughing: That would not have happened had I not had trouble with that worthless cord I bought at Best Buy.

Thanks.

-it

You may want to review some of the procedures and processes in this thread...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116361

Dale