Oldest Cacher

JohnnyVegas

in one of these topics floating around, a cacher said he was 80, and had over 1000 finds.....

here we go

( I hope it was okay to post that link. If the cacher in question wants me to, I'll remove it....)

That old guy looks a lot like me. Thanks, I will be 81 in April. Today was our wedding anv. We have been married for 58 years and the wife helps me find caches when we travel in our little RV type van. I have never run into another WWII vet caching. I am sure they are some out there. We certainly enjoy Geocaching. Sure, it was OK to post. I am so old that I brag about it.

Dick, W7WT

This was posted by a WWII vet, at a virtual on the Va. Tech Campus.

Jackie

Thanks. He must be at least 88 or so to have been in the class of 35. My wife and I were in the class of 42. Next summer we will be traveling back to my home town in Southern Illinois and we will geocache both ways with looking for Minto, the oldest existing cache on our way home. Dick, W7WT

in one of these topics floating around, a cacher said he was 80, and had over 1000 finds.....

here we go

( I hope it was okay to post that link.  If the cacher in question wants me to, I'll remove it....)

That old guy looks a lot like me. Thanks, I will be 81 in April. Today was our wedding anv. We have been married for 58 years and the wife helps me find caches when we travel in our little RV type van. I have never run into another WWII vet caching. I am sure they are some out there. We certainly enjoy Geocaching. Sure, it was OK to post. I am so old that I brag about it.

Dick, W7WT

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary!!!!

Okay, who has the oldest geocaching dog?!!? LOL!

Wow, reading this makes my 65 seem young. Only did one 5/5 this past month, though. Trying to reach the 1000 before my 66th birthday.

Yeah, but you might be the only great grandparent with over 900 finds and there are few people in the region who tackle tougher caches than Quoddy.

Edited by briansnat
Next summer we will be traveling back to my home town in Southern Illinois

Have a safe trip back to IL. Where about in "southern IL" is home?

We will be on US 20 at Galena and will go to Freeport, Illinois where I taught HS from 1948 to 1957. Then we will head south through Bloomington to Charleston where I graduated from Eastern in 1948. Then to Effingham down to Blble Grove where I was born in 1925 and finally to Louisville where I graduated from HS in l942 and call my home town. On the way back we will take I 70 so we can look for the oldest existing cache - Minto in Kansas. We will take our time and cache on the way. I think I may have found some of your caches. Your handle sound familiar.

Dick, W7WT

We will be on US 20 at Galena and will go to Freeport, Illinois where I taught HS from 1948 to 1957. Then we will head south through Bloomington to Charleston where I graduated from Eastern in 1948. Then to Effingham down to Blble Grove where I was born in 1925 and finally to Louisville where I graduated from HS in l942 and call my home town. On the way back we will take I 70 so we can look for the oldest existing cache - Minto in Kansas. We will take our time and cache on the way. I think I may have found some of your caches. Your handle sound familiar.

Dick, W7WT

Now that you mention your pedigree it does ring a bell with me too. Not sure where. I haven't cached in the NW. Maybe we've had this conversation before. When you're running from Bloomington to Charleston you won't be too far from me. I'm near Springfield and grew up south of Springfield a ways. Did quite a bit running around in the Pana area. When you left Bible Grove that just about cut the population of town in half. B)

We logged Mingo in June 2003. It's an easy one to grab and one has to do it simply because it's been there for so long.

Hope you have a safe trip back "home".

The email is long gone, but the thread is buried around here somewhere. A guy emailed me a couple of years ago about seeing if I could get geocaching listed as an acceptable activity for the Presidential Commission on Fitness. I've kept that as a Terracachers project (any takers?) ever since.

At the time of the email I could swear he was in his late 90's and thanked geocaching for getting him fit. He was a cacher from Hawaii.

some of our local cachers are 86 and 84...Shirconn and Garagedude! look like there about 60 and act like there 40...the nicest younguns ive met...

at my cachemas event...i was by far the youngest there by at least 12 years....besides the guy who brought his kids who only cache with him when they feel like it...it was amazing the age of the people that cache...i figured it would be a younger sport but i was wrong...these elders are whippin us youngins butts

keep up the good work!

tomahawk chop shop

amy

I had my 89-year old Dad out geocaching several times in the last couple of weeks.

fe7ae51c-217d-4ae6-8bfa-abdfd68b7604.jpg

He may not be the oldest, but he certainly is the best dressed geocacher (with the possible exception of BassoonPilot who had been known to geocache in a tux on his way to and from work).