Members Only Caches?

Henki

I've been caching since February and just became a Premium member. How do I go about finding out which caches are Members Only? I see the Members Only icon listed, but I have yet to see a Members Only cache listed.

I disabled cookies, even turned off the firewall completely, logged back in to the site, and searched within 100 miles of my house. With 33 pages of caches listed, none are Members Only. Knowing the LA Cachers, I find this hard to believe.

It wouldn't surprise me if I were doing something wrong, but what is it? Thanks for any help!

I think you'll find that Members Only Caches are few and far between. There are exceptions to this, based on certain cache owners' personal preferences, and it is their right. But I would say that, generally, when I go to the trouble of placing a cache at a cool spot, I want to share it with people and I am happier if I have a wider audience of finders. I own just one Members Only Cache out of 30 hidden, and I have two very specific reasons for making it that way.

Also, in some areas it is fairly common for new caches to be Members Only for a period of a week or two, after which they are "opened up" to the general public. This is viewed by some as a way to reward premium members by giving them first dibs on new caches, FTF prizes, etc. Personally I choose not to do this, but I respect others' rights to do so.

I don't necessarily care if they're Members Only or not, I just didn't know if I was missing out on some caches in my area.

I have read some forums where folks were complaining about caches being stolen, and the suggestion was to make them Members Only to prevent just anyone from having the coordinates.

I agree that I prefer caches that AREN'T members only, and I've certainly benefitted from them, but whatever the cache owner decides is fine with me. I'm just appreciative of anyone who takes the time and trouble to hide a cache!

I'm happy to report that most caching is in full swing in New Orleans. Some caches were knocked out by Katrina, and some have yet to be checked on, but there are a lot of new caches in the area.

Caching has been a nice diversion from dealing with flooded houses and the like!