Memorials

wait, hope.

I assume by your response it isn't going to happen anytime soon? I tried to do a virtual cache with it and was turned down, as you know they aren't accepting anymore of those. The reviewer posted this answer: If you do not wish to hide a physical container at this spot but still want people to be able to visit it, consider listing your location on Waymarking.com, the new Groundspeak site dedicated to locations just as this. Check it out!

So you see my deliema? I do not want to hide a physical cache at this site for two reasons. One a lot of people already go to this site to see the monument for the person it was dedicated to. Secondly, and more importantly, I really don't think I (or anyone) could get permission to place a cache here. I won't go into who the memorial is for but just getting the memorial dedicated caused a ruckus and guaranteed it would cause another if a cache was placed here. That is why I wanted to go with a virtual or a waymark.

Edited by Fenderstrat72

Hmmm, the memorial category under People says "You cannot record a new waymark in the monument category, you must select one of its subcategories"

I suppose that your subject doesn't fit under one of those sub-categories?

Perhaps a premium member will be allowed to create a memorial that your subject will fit under at some point. There is no way to tell if that will happen soon or not, since we don't have any idea of who it is that you want to commemorate.

But, just out of curiousity...If it "caused a ruckus" when the memorial was placed, and would "cause a ruckus" if a geocache were placed there, won't it "cause a ruckus" if a waymark is made for the spot as well?

But, just out of curiousity...If it "caused a ruckus" when the memorial was placed, and would "cause a ruckus" if a geocache were placed there, won't it "cause a ruckus" if a waymark is made for the spot as well?

Well here goes. I don't know if you are a NASCAR fan or not? The memorial is the one dedicated to the late Dale Earnhardt in Kannapolis, NC. The ruckus of which I speak was caused when his widow and the town of Kannapolis had a disagreement over the memorial. I would not even venture to ask for permission to place a cache there, ruckus number two. To much bad blood already.

It is a nice place and many NASCAR fans visit it each year, so a waymark would be harmless. So there is my deleima, I had an idea for a great waymark location and no category to put it in. By the way I was born and raised in Kannapolis however I no longer live there.

Edited by Fenderstrat72

There are some features in development to aid in waymark administration by "groups" of persons. A limited number of categories are being approved and released -- these don't have subcategories.

Memorials could be military, city founders, explorers, politicians, events, sports related (more subcategories?) and on and on. This could get out of hand, but I believe the Groundspeak folks have a plan.

I wonder what I'll do when there are several types of memorial in front of my local library? A bunch of waymarks piled on the same coordinates, I guess. :D

Memorials could be military, city founders, explorers, politicians, events, sports related (more subcategories?) and on and on. This could get out of hand, but I believe the Groundspeak folks have a plan.

I wonder what I'll do when there are several types of memorial in front of my local library? A bunch of waymarks piled on the same coordinates, I guess. :D

yes, there needs to be some sort of catorigization of 'memorials', so that i do not end up searching for the memorial to the cat lady in winnepeg insted of catwoman in gotham city.

i want to know how the 'Waymarking' map is going to handle the close proximity of waymarks, as they are often going to be 'stacked'. i have a few GA historical markers that have been put in another category--the hunter-holmes academic building is also a civil rights memorial. will the map display both icons and descriptions when 'identifying'? this is assuming we will get a map.

Well I guess I will have to wait for a while to add this one waypoint? I would be willing to manage a category for Motorsports related memorials. It could be a broad category, anyone involved in motorsports, not just the drivers, or riders. Car racing, motorcycle racing, snowmobile, boats, etc.