Garmin 60cs / Metroguide?

alanfreed

Seems that all of the documentation for the 60CS makes plenty of mention of the City Select mapping software. I'm just wondering if the MetroGuide CD will work at all for uploading maps?

I'm guessing that I can upload the detailed maps, but won't be able to use the autoroute feature. Is there anything else I'd be missing by using just the MetroGuide software, assuming it works at all?

Just ordered the 60CS yesterday -- can't wait for it to get here! Just wondering if I'm going to HAVE to shell out extra $$ for the City Select software.

Thanks!

With metro guide, you will be able to do auto routing but only on major roads and highways. You will also be able to download maps in your GPS. You will be able to see detailed mapping of citys but you won't have auto routing inside the citys compared to City Select.

Thanks for the answer! So let's assume that I don't care too much about the autorouting... is there a compelling reason for me to go out and get City Select since I already have MetroGuide North America?

I'm guessing that I can upload the detailed maps, but won't be able to use the autoroute feature. Is there anything else I'd be missing by using just the MetroGuide software, assuming it works at all?

Just ordered the 60CS yesterday -- can't wait for it to get here! Just wondering if I'm going to HAVE to shell out extra $$ for the City Select software.

Yes, the MetroGuide map detail and POIs are the same and they'll load fine on the 60cs. But auto-routing is a very valuable feature so I'd recommend paying a little more for CitySelect rather than MG.

And no, you won't "have to" get the CitySelect maps - afterall, lots of people geocache for years with just a basic yellow eTrex and find that it and similar no-frills models work fine. But I do question somewhat the logic in getting a rather expensive model, like the 60cs, and then not spending a little more to get the map software that'll let you get the benefits of its features

Once you've had autorouting, you'll NEVER go back! It's the ONLY way to go!

So if it's a question as to whether or not you should spend the extra difference between City Select and MetroGuide, go for the City Select.

If you know where you can get a fabulous deal on MetroGuide somewhere, and you just wanna know if that'll work in your GPSr until you're ready to spend the money to get "the good stuff" (City Select), then the answer is yes, MetroGuide will display residential streets and allow you to lookup addresses and POIs and have your GPSr point you in the right direction.

So if it's a question as to whether or not you should spend the extra difference between City Select and MetroGuide, go for the City Select.

I already have MetroGuide (I have a Garmin Legend)... that's why I'm asking ;) I'm sure if I were choosing between one or the other, that City Select would certainly be the best choice.

Would Etex Vista treat City Select just like Metroguide?

Yes, it would. Before sending the maps to the GPSr, be sure to uncheck the "Include route calculation data" box in the lower left area of the "Maps" tab. That additional data would be a waste of the Vista's 24MB of map memory.

Edited by Neo_Geo