How Did You Discover Caching?

Rose_Thorn

Just wondering...a lot of folks only discovered caching in 2005, as did I, and it led me to thinking...how?

I discovered it by pure chance (or maybe fate? Or the hand of the gods?) when I was looking for info about a local reservoir called Simon's Lodge - came up in my Google search, and I was fascinated...yes, there are little boxes hidden all over the world, and people pass them by everyday without knowing they are there...and little toys and keyrings get put in them and travel round the world - astounding. Yes, the idea captured my imagination and I was hooked! (Big kid at heart, you see!)

So how did it happen for you? (Nosey, nosey :o )

So how did it happen for you? (Nosey, nosey  )

Started with a new digital camera.

I live near Windsor, and one Sunday last year decided to go visit the Copper Horse on Snow Hill, to try out the camera and take some arty photos (Windsor was a favourite haunting ground of mine when I was a teenager and has some special memories...)

When I got back home I started to look at other photos of the Copper Horse.

Google led me to Navicache, and from there to Geocaching.com!

Never looked back since!

:o:o:)

If you want someone to blame, I'd blame Simpy Paul :o Countryfile on BBC1 Sunday, February 13, 2005

I would like to apologise to the greater caching community, humbly and sincerely. In my defence I was young and easily lead... :o

I discovered caching in mid 2003 while researching a wood beside the M40 for a web site I was making about the Chiltern Sculpture Trail. I learned there was a cache hidden there, used the postcode feature to find my closest one and found the box by the clue alone (thanks Dan & Pid) then found 4 more before buying Dan's old etrex at an early pub event. Ah, happy days! :)

I bought a GPSr years ago (before Clinton discontinued SA), mainly for use in hiking. Then, in 1999, I met Postie (who gave me hospitality when I was walking the Pennine Way). He was not into geocaching then, but was when we paid him a visit last year (2004). He told me about it, and we did the 'Roaming Round Richmond' cache together, and I was bitten.

Edited by walkergeoff

Sue & I got into GPS through our enjoyment of long bike rides through the wilds of East Anglia (good weather only of course). Once off the main roads, the back roads and the countryside are superb.

We found a problem in that the constant halts to consult maps were spoiling our rides a bit, it slowed us down somewhat and we did not fancy the "take-your-eyes-off-the -road-and-look-at-a-map-strapped-to-the-handlebars" approach.

Some-one joking suggested a GPS for our bikes, we investigated and now we regularly use geo-caching to provide the destinations for our bike rides.

As we clear out the caches from our local area, we start dumping the car at a convenient superstore some way from the house and cycle onwards to more distant caches...

It's a while ago but I had been using a GPSr for walking for some time and came across the Geocaching site somehow - it seemed good so I registered but it was over two months before I ventured to look for an actual cache, and that was 100 miles from home as there were only 37 in the country at the time.

Since then I have had a lot of fun and made some good friends. :o

Its all Alibag's fault :o We were both in Holland on a trip and after bribing me with a few Belgian beers broke the news to me that I was about to accompany her to find a hidden micro, no arguments - I spoke Dutch and she needed a translator :o The trail took us to scenic places we would have never seen without Geocaching and I was instantly hooked. I bought my first GPS [with help from Alibags] within the week. I am now on my second.

Edited by Drum Major
Its all Alibag's fault  ;) We were both in Holland on a trip and after bribing me with a few Belgian beers broke the news to me that I was about to accompany her to find a hidden micro, no arguments - I spoke Dutch and she needed a translator :)  The trail took us to scenic places we would have never seen without Geocaching and I was instantly hooked. I bought my first GPS [with help from Alibags] within the week. I am now on my second.

I know Alibags doesn't want too many people catching her up but to make you wait soooooo long, June 2005, before getting your next cache is SO out of order!

:D

Edited by Sensei TSKC

I was on a website called something like 'Who's round is it next'. It allowed you to click on a button when you wanted a cup of tea or coffee at work. When the relevant threshold was reached it mailed the next person in the group with the order so they could make it.

The site had a daily list of interesting sites, and www.geocaching.com was on that.

Dean

Tigger was working away in London, and was reading the on train magazine. Read something about GPS`s and Treasure Hunting, and mentioned it to me. I had a look on the net, and got to Geocaching.com.

Reading more into it, we needed a GPS, and with it being my birthday soon, thought we`d buy one to see what all the fuss was about.

So it`s Virgin trains fault.

Pengy :rolleyes:

There was an article in the Sunday Times- probably around March 2004- which was about a reporter trying caching. I thought it sounded interesting and mentioned it to someone at work. It turned out that he had not only heard of it but had done some caches with his family(what are the chances of that?). Bought a cheap (since lost at a cache) yellow eTrex on ebay and so the madness began...

I was chatting on-line to some-one and they mentioned taking their kids to an 'event' - further discussion revealed it was a geocaching event - it tweaked my interest. That was mid 2004 and I have been enjoying it ever since, I was shown how to use a gps by him, bought one soon afterwards and have even got my Mum at it too.

Laughalot :rolleyes:

Edited by Laughalot

I was in my local mountain bike shop, while I was waiting for my bike to come out from its servicing I picked up a free magazine from the foyer (I think it was called Outdoor Enthusiast) and read one of the "letters to the editor". Onto the website, found a couple of local caches that I could do wothout GPSr and the rest is history.

I watched something on the BBC back in early 2004, it was in was one of those regional BBC things.......it might of been "Close Up North" it was only shown in the North East and Cumbria........perhaps someone with a better memory could help me out here :wub:

Found it :angry: it was this program, so i must of know about it a while before I actually bought a GPS :antenna:BBC Inside Out

Way back in 2001 when I was into computers and gadgets. I read in a magazine about this thing what you could do with a GPS receiver. At the time I had an Etrex that I had hooked up to a Psion that I was using as a Sat-nav system. (Very primative but it worked).

I visited Geocaching.com and learnt that there were a couple of these caches in Epping forest. One wet Saturday morning I went looking. The rest is history.

Some Americans that I knew emailed me to tell me about it when it was first kicking off. I thought it sounded interesting, but not having a (then expensive) GPS at the time, I forgot all about it. It was only a few years later when I bought a GPS for walking that I remembered what they had said about this treasure hunting game thingy. A quick Google, and there I was, signed up within a few moments back in March 2003. Within a week, the second closest cache to me was found (it's a "The Hornet" vacation cache :o). I did just seven caches between March and August before I started to get the bug.

The nearest cache to me when I started caching was a members only virtual. It was a few more months before I stumped up for membership so I could find out what it was and log it, and then I had to make sure I got my money's worth. That's when the obsession started!

A posting in the USENET group (remember them?) sci.geo.cartography . I can't remember what that poting was about now, but I visiited geocaching.com and wondered what the nearest cache to my workplace was :o, thinking it would be miles and miles. Turned out to be GCJP8G Parson's Pleasure, a couple of minutes walk away. That lunch time I decided to take my GPSr (which I already owned for walking) out for a little stroll . . . in that incarnation Parson's Pleasure was a lovely hide, if you stood in exactly the right spot you could see it quite easily just lying there, while hordes of people milled around.

Hi, I had been given a GPS which was like giving pound notes to a donkey. By chance someone asked me what the significance of Wilton "Brail" was. Sorted the technology eventually to see what "Brail" meant and found Daisy and her Man hiding "geo's" every different whichway. Knowing the countryside rather well, without the benefit of technology I found one or two. Now my computer literate son has given me a short sharp blast of education ( what goes around comes around) and I can now navigate myself to within 2 ft rather than a general two acre area! much more fun. Heigh ho, retirement does have to have its entertainments. Son is now smitten an going off to Majorca to spread the word!

Cheers. Tarry and Tammy

Another one who discovered geocaching through a boating forum (the-norfolk-broads.co.uk)

We bought a GPS to use on our boat - but to be honest you can't really get lost on the mini-waterway where we moor ( the Chelmer & Blackwater)

So when someone on the Norfolk Broads forum mentioned geocaching - we were pleased to discover an alternative use for the GPS and....... the rest is obvious.

Funnily enough I don't know his geocaching name (different usernames for different forums) but you know who you are - so if you're reading this Stu - thanks!

Funny old thing... I was introduced to geocaching by Leoness whilst at a New Year Party. It sounded fun, we had a GPS and had our first find the very next day at a cache close to home. Since I have hidden a lot, found out which caches I prefer, walked some fantastically memorable walks and learned a great deal about the geography of the Yorkshire Dales where I am fortunate enough to live. Incidentally I have just noticed today is my second birthday as a geocacher!

I'm usually just plain old 'df' on the boaty forums, don't visit the broads on very often but I'm planning on dragging me old Norman over that way sometime,we were going to do it this next season but the dog's too old for the travelling and he's on borrowed time anyway(had two strokes already),when he cags out we'll be over there!

Keep an eye out for 'Haddocks Revenge' just in case.