How Do You Carry Your Gps When Caching?

TheBrewhaha

If you use a lanyard, make sure it is a good one. I had my GPS fall off into some bushes when we 1st started - off of a lanyard with a cheap plastic clip. Had a hard time finding it, even though I knew where it fell off. It was then that I bought a red faceplate for my GPS and a case. On that note, the case had a built-in belt clip. I used it for 1 week. Went to a caching event, and while in search of one of the caches, the 3-yr-old got tired. While carrying her, she kicked it off. Glad I had the red faceplate! Made finding it easier. Now I have it on a sturdy lanyard, and haven't lost it since.

I clip my 60CS to my belt or pocket and then attach the laynard to my belt loop with a carabiner in case the clip on the unit fails. That setup has saved the unit several times when the unit fell out of the the belt clip.

6991b3b1-13db-4e24-abcb-dddefc0ce1b1.jpg

My eTRex Vista is clipped to the top of my packs shoulder strap so it rides face up to the sky. That is the best position for reception for that unit.

55ead8a8-e7f6-4d15-a019-0798bf8bfcee.jpg

I don't have this GPS holder, but something similar. Since I always wear a CamelBak I attach the GPS holder to the backpack strap. It keeps the GPS in view of the satellites and is easy to grab in a pinch.

Hey Jeremy, that looks pretty neat. I might buy one. Why don't you offer useful stuff like this through the gear store, instead of antenna balls and hitch covers?

Put me down as one of those doing "the tricorder walk". I have dropped my eTrex Legend so many times I am amazed it still works. Well, kind of...the 'arrow' screen no longer works properly.

When I get my new 60CS I promise to treat it better. The eTrex appears to have been through a war right now...

I find that holding it in my hand works best...i used to clip it to my camelback.. but i soon realized that i hated unhooking it all the time to check it.. ( i like to look at it alot).. when i first started geocaching i bought a glissen external antenna that i attached to my camelback, but soon realized that i didn't need it. i haven't used my antenna for about 8 months now...but that's a different topic..

Edited by WxGuesser

Most of the time while Geocaching it is in my hand or attached to the lanyard around my neck. Otherwise I stuff it into a coat/vest pocket. I only lose it at cache sites. Sat it down and left it there on a couple of occasions. Noticed when I got back to my car. Found one that way too - got it returned to the owner easy enough.

My eTRex Vista is clipped to the top of my packs shoulder strap so it rides face up to the sky. That is the best position for reception for that unit.

55ead8a8-e7f6-4d15-a019-0798bf8bfcee.jpg

i'm new to the sport 'cause i receive an etrex legend for x-mas. after only four caches i already got a scratch on my screen and i'm looking at way to protect it. does anybody knows who made this little case to protect it?

thanks, yelo

I don't have this GPS holder, but something similar. Since I always wear a CamelBak I attach the GPS holder to the backpack strap. It keeps the GPS in view of the satellites and is easy to grab in a pinch.

Hey Jeremy, that looks pretty neat. I might buy one. Why don't you offer useful stuff like this through the gear store, instead of antenna balls and hitch covers?

Agreed! I'd certainly find this more useful than a doggy scarf or a stuffed frog.

i'm new to the sport 'cause i receive an etrex legend for x-mas. after only four caches i already got a scratch on my screen and i'm looking at way to protect it.  does anybody knows who made this little case to protect it?

I'm pretty sure the case Brian is wearing is actually the one made by Garmin, since it looks almost exactly like mine. Another thing you can do to help prevent screen scratches is buy one of those Write Right screen protectors that are used for PDAs and cut it to fit the screen of your GPSr. There's a similar product that I see in the ads on the site, but the name is escaping me. Seems a mite expensive though, as you can buy a 10 pack of the Write Right protectors for around 3-5 USD.

Rich;)

What is the best method for carrying the GPS when out caching? In the hand? Lanyard? Any creative ideas out there?

Wow, am I the only one that simply carries it by hand? If I'm doing a cache that's more than any good distance (say 1/2 mile or more) I'll usually take my pack, with a car antenna rigged to the top of the pack and the GPSr safely tucked away inside the pack. I'll look at the maps before I go out so I know what direction to go, turn the GPSr when starting the hike, then once I've gone a good ways I'll pull out the GPSr and see where I have to go.

Seems to work pretty good so far. :laughing:

What is the best method for carrying the GPS when out caching? In the hand? Lanyard? Any creative ideas out there?

Wow, am I the only one that simply carries it by hand? If I'm doing a cache that's more than any good distance (say 1/2 mile or more) I'll usually take my pack, with a car antenna rigged to the top of the pack and the GPSr safely tucked away inside the pack. I'll look at the maps before I go out so I know what direction to go, turn the GPSr when starting the hike, then once I've gone a good ways I'll pull out the GPSr and see where I have to go.

Seems to work pretty good so far. :laughing:

That's okay, you'll drop it eventually.

;)

I have that neoprene case that briansnat is modeling on his shoulder. I find it is great to protect the screen, and the clip is strong. I generally put the unit inside my side cargo pants pocket, with the clip clipped to the pocket top. So the only thing showing outward is the back of the clip. It works great; but I see myself investing in a harness chord with a belt loop clip for double protection. However, the best method I had was a belt loop clip that fit the garmin inside with a huge velcro flap. It was heavy duty and no way it could come off. But the screen was getting too messed up.

My problem now is the cell phone. I have dropped it three times this winter and had to backtrack my footprints in the snow to find the phone. That won't work in the spring, so I have resported to keeping it in the backpack.

Edited by Teamhawaii1981 & blueicyrose

Seems to work pretty good so far. :D

That's okay, you'll drop it eventually.

:D

Heh, I tend to fall down more than I drop my GPSr. I've also got a pair of carpenter jeans, and the GPSr fits perfectly into the right side leg pocket, but I like those jeans so if I wear then while caching it's urban caching. :o

I may eventually get a lanyard, but the wriststrap seems to work ok for now. B)

It depends on if I'm carrying a backpack. If I am, I clip it on the straps in a fashion similar to briansnat, but facing forward, rather than on top of my shoulder. I take the wrist lanyard and clip it on as well, since I have had GPSr overboard more than once.

When I'm not carrying a pack, I clip it with a lanyard to my belt, or at least keep my hand in the wrist lanyard if it's in my hand, tricorder style. (omg, I love that phrase!)

i'm new to the sport 'cause i receive an etrex legend for x-mas. after only four caches i already got a scratch on my screen and i'm looking at way to protect it.  does anybody knows who made this little case to protect it?

I'm pretty sure the case Brian is wearing is actually the one made by Garmin, since it looks almost exactly like mine. Another thing you can do to help prevent screen scratches is buy one of those Write Right screen protectors that are used for PDAs and cut it to fit the screen of your GPSr. There's a similar product that I see in the ads on the site, but the name is escaping me. Seems a mite expensive though, as you can buy a 10 pack of the Write Right protectors for around 3-5 USD.

My Garmin 60cs and both iPods have protective screens from this company, that advertises on GC.com:

http://www.theinvisibleshield.com/

In my hand until I need both my hands. It then goes into the front inside pocket of my spiffy black shoulder utility strapped bag. The bag is just large enough (10x6x4) to hold the gps, extra batteries, stash items, paperwork, etc. Don't know where I bought it...