Penticton

theonlyguy

Hello everyone,

I just got my 1st GPS, a eTrex Legend. I have been reading all I can about the GPS and saw "geocaching" looks like fun. Is there any Okanagan GPS/Geocaching clubs out there?

:o Question:

Does anyone know about this cable that comes in the box. It didn't come with software. I thought it would atleast, come with a desktop type program so I could transfer my GPS info from the Legend to my CPU. Is there anything out there on the web I can use or is the cable only for Garmin Map programs?

TheOnlyGuy

Edited by theonlyguy
Here's a list of software on the Geocaching.com website. There are others that are not specific to geocaching such as GPSTrackmaker (freeware) that will work with your Etrex too.

Wow that was quick I had only posted that message a couple minutes ago, Cool! thanks for the responce I will check out the links. All this GPS stuff is new to me shouldn't take too long to figure this thing out I hope. :o

TheOnlyGuy

I just got my 1st GPS, a eTrex Legend. I have been reading all I can about the GPS and saw "geocaching" looks like fun. Is there any Okanagan GPS/Geocaching clubs out there?

We are from Kelowna and I am not aware of any clubs except the BC Geocaching Association. It focus is really in the lower Mainland though. Hopefully one day there will be one specifically for the Okanagan, the sport is still in its infancy here though. :o

Hippie B

Edited: Spelling

Edited by Hippie Kidz
Hello everyone,

:rolleyes: Question:

Does anyone know about this cable that comes in the box. It didn't come with software. I thought it would atleast, come with a desktop type program so I could transfer my GPS info from the Legend to my CPU. Is there anything out there on the web I can use or is the cable only for Garmin Map programs?

TheOnlyGuy

A friend of mine lives in Summerland, and his handle is summerland (!) His name is Dave, please give him a shout and say hi from Chris (charliezulu)

We are from Kelowna and I am not aware of any clubs except the BC Geocaching Association. It focus is really in the lower Mainland though. Hopefully one day there will be one specifically for the Okanagan, the sport is still in its infancy here though. <_<

Hippie B

Edited: Spelling

That would be cool if they had an Okanagan site someday.

We (My son and I) found our 1st cache on the 31st GCNYWT "River Channel Stroll" it was neat to see this "Legend" do it's stuff. We found the cache in about 2 minutes of getting to the GPS location. My son was quite impressed and so was I as to how it guided us to the spot. (GPS is all new to us). There are sure a lot of Caches in our area, I am logging them in my Palm Pilot for future explorations. :o

Having a lot of fun with it. ;)

Take care, talk to you later.

TheOnlyGuy

Well, I have a list of caches from a PQ I made for when I was in the Penticton area so I ran it again tonight for you.

This file is a .GPX file that list all the caches within a 100km radius of Penticton. There are 100 caches in total. You can use this file and import it into many of the programs then send all the caches to your GPS. It save ALOT of time punching in coordinates manualy.

I am only doing this as you are new to the sport and I always like giving a helping hand.

I can email you the file, just PM (Private Message) or email me with your email address.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mrking
Hello everyone,

I just got my 1st GPS, a eTrex Legend. I have been reading all I can about the GPS and saw "geocaching" looks like fun.  Is there any Okanagan GPS/Geocaching clubs out there?

<_< Question:

Does anyone know about this cable that comes in the box. It didn't come with software.  I thought it would atleast, come with a desktop type program so I could transfer my GPS info from the Legend to my CPU. Is there anything out there on the web I can use or is the cable only for Garmin Map programs?

TheOnlyGuy

A friend of mine lives in Summerland, and his handle is summerland (!) His name is Dave, please give him a shout and say hi from Chris (charliezulu)

Will do!

re: "" There are sure a lot of Caches in our area, I am logging them in my Palm Pilot for future explorations. B) ""

As much as I love the Okanagan, if you think there are a lot of caches there , take a trip to Southern Ontario sometime.....it's impossible to keep up if you aren't at this full time. Crrraaazy!!! B)B) I think there are over 3000 active ones here.

re: "" There are sure a lot of Caches in our area, I am logging them in my Palm Pilot for future explorations. B) ""

As much as I love the Okanagan, if you think there are a lot of caches there , take a trip to Southern Ontario sometime.....it's impossible to keep up if you aren't at this full time. Crrraaazy!!! :DB) I think there are over 3000 active ones here.

LOL maybe some day will have to make the trip.. If I can ever get enough time off work('s) coordinating 2 full time jobs is a bit tuff sometimes. Amazing I have time to geocache in all this. One job is 3 seasons B) and the other year round, so maybe in the winter, might be a bit cold there though I am a bit of a spring/summer kinda "guy".

Bye 4 now!

TheOnlyGuy B)