Mapsource City Select Release Schedule

damel

I was wondering if anyone knew how often City Select (specifically North America in this case) is updated? I currently own version 6 and like everyone else I had the version 7 upgrade dvd sent to my house after it came out (but did not unlock the maps). I do not think I will really need the updated driving maps until next June. If there is going to be a new release before June I would of course prefer not to spend the extra cash on a version 7 that I won’t use. However if a new version will not come out for another year (ie the new release date is two years after the previous) I will just purchase the upgrade now. I have also noticed that the price has dropped for upgrades from (I believe) $75 originally to $50. I'm not sure if this is only a temporary price reduction or if this is normal and it just says "we are coming out with a new version soon so get this old one for less". Any help would be great. Thanks!

FYI, City Select is being discontinued.. there are some threads about it down below in this forum. Garmin have been telling people via email and phone that CS owners will be able to upgrade to City Navigator v8. CN v8 will (apparantly) have the smaller map sets, like CS.

An example Garmin quote "Now to let you know, next summer when version 8 is released, it will go back to the original map sets not larger than 5mb each, and all City Select customers will be transitioned over to City Navigator."