Software Conflict Or Me

iflyrc2

Hi folks

First hunt today.... skunked. But we will be back B)

Got the new Garmin Etrex Vista C for Christmas...

Downloaded Easy GPS and installed it on my PC (XP Pro)... it states "If you have a Garmin eTrex LegendC or Garmin eTrex VistaC, select the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS model when configuring EasyGPS." I did this.

I then downloaded .loc files from Geocache.com for my area. (7 local caches) and saved them in a folder.

I opened the saved .loc file with Easy GPS. They all show up and everything looks great.

I then load the GPS with these cache locations. They all show up on our gps map but are labelled in WGS84. I then upload the GPS map into Mapsource. The caches all show up and I then modified them to show the correct cache name instead of the WGS84 locator name. (which means nothing to me on the GPS map)

This seems to works fine and saves a lot of time loading data into Mapsource. I then loaded the modified map back into the GPS and went caching.

Came home and tried to download the GPS trip data into Mapsource and it would not recognize the device. ?? Even Easy GPS would not connect. Tried everything I could think of to get a connection but nothing worked.

Finally had to call in the teenage live-in tech support (that I support BTW B) ) and he got it going within thirty minutes... reinstalled usb drivers etc. as well as a hard reset of the GPS and reloading the map through the updated Mapsource software (ver 9.6.1). (He has a Garmin Rhino 120 already and is familiar, to a large degree, with this process B) )

Everything is working fine now and all my caches show up correctly but I am reluctant to do this download process again. Teenage Tech Support says stay with Garmin products as they are designed to work together........ B) Sage advice from Tech Support?

I think there is just too much going on within these two programs to interface correctly. Don't know? Maybe someone in geo cyber space has had these very issues and has a simple answer.

Perhaps there is an easier way to accomplish this process as I am a newbie to all this. Is this a make work project?

Any ideas, comments or help would be appreciated.

iflyrc2

The few times I have had the USB drivers go wonky on me, a restart (of the computer) fixed it.

If that doesn't do it, I would wager there is another USB device plugged in that is freaking things out. Try unplugging some other devices (mouse, keyboard, etc) temporarily to see if that fixes the problem.

Hi Lil Devil

Did the reboot thing several times prior to calling in teenage tech support. No joy. The computer made the usual connection beeps when the usb cable is plugged in but the computer could not "see" the GPS device.

It's possible that the newest version of Mapsource will interface correctly... just don't want to be a test bed B)

iflyrc2

I know this is kind of off topic but have you tried using GSAK or any other software for transferring waypoints to your unit?

I much like you used EasyGPS when I first got my GPSr (in my case a Garmin GPSmap 60c). It worked great for basic stuff. Then I found that I wanted more so I searched and soon found GSAK. I have not had any problems/conflicts between MapSource and GSAK. Its a great program with excellent support and you may just want to test drive it yourself and see if you still run into your problem. Or maybe try some other great software you find.

The idea here is testing to see if its really the GPSr or the software interface by trying another software package. Oh and welcome to geocaching (my first hunt skunked too B) )!!

Two comments. Garmin is pretty finicky about the way the USB drivers get loaded, and as others have mentioned, there have been know *rarely* to just disappear on you.

Second, as someone else mentioned, check to see what else may be hogging a USB port. Palm devices are notorious for snagging USB connections, even those they are not using. If you have Hotsync running in the background, that can be a source of problems.

I do not use Easy GPS much any more.

What I do, is set up a pocket query, to send via my email, just the *.GPX files.

Then I click on the the *.GPX file, and have Win XP automatically load the GPX file straight into Mapsource, and then I can view the caches via Google Earth from the View Menu in Mapsource. This method for me is so quick.

So it is possible to go directly from the email directly to Mapsource in one or two clicks.

Hi iflyrc2

Great to see that you now have your own GPS. It's not that we don't like hanging around with your guys :D But there is a time when the newbies must leave the nest ;)

So far so good with using both the EasyGPS and Map Source even when running my iPAQ at the same time. Did you see the post from Neo_Geo as he says Map Source will open the .loc files? That is even better huh? One software program to do all.

Anyway, can't wait until the cruise. Want to do the Geo Cache / Amazing Race thing :)

Have a great New Year. Talk to you when we get back from our Geo Caching expedition in the U.S.A.

RVTraveller

Hey RVTraveller & Neo Geo

Managed three caches today after a less than steller start (the wife's doggy do-do thing :) ) see The 3C's log here

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...46-57699b8709e5

I just used Mapsource to open the freshly downloaded .loc file from Geocache.com...worked great. Now I just have to get a naming convention going as the file is always called geocache.loc.... I'll have lots of those shortly ;)

Have a safe trip down south... watch out for mugglers and especially dogler do-do!

GSAK - is there anything it can't do?

Please let us know if it manages to correct the problems with your Garmin USB drivers.

It won't make the tea but it can help to organise your Caching life rather well. ;)

I've had no trouble with USB using GSAK to manage my waypoints. I have uploaded/download to a Garmin 60CS (both USB & serial - so no USB problems for it to correct as far as I'm concerned), a Legend (serial) and a Magellan 315 (serial).

It also assists me with waypoint management on my Garmin iQue 3600 in conjunction with CacheMate, excellent software with excellent user support. :)

All in all a fantastic piece of software for the caching community IMHO.