Battery Power Level

docdigit

I went out and bought a battery for my eXplorist 600 (still waiting for a response from my dealer as to why it was missing in the first place), but I've noticed that no matter how long I charge it, the green bar doesn't go above the half-way point. Anybody have any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Doc

The Explorist doesn't have the option to choose the battery type, since the battery is meant to be charged inside the unit and not regularly removed.

The GPS should have come with the proper battery. If it didn't, I strongly recommend you bring it back and get a new one.

If that's not an option, the reason I think your new battery isn't showing full charge is that it's probably a different (lower) voltage rating than the Explorist expects. Since I don't have my Explorist handy, I can't check the battery voltage for you, but I'd guess your new battery is a few tenths of a volt different.

If the battery keeps the GPS working for an acceptable amount of time, don't worry about the voltage or the meter. If you're only getting a couple hours out of the battery, you'll need to find a bettery which fits the Explorist specs.

Again, bring this GPS back and get a new one which has the battery with it. Don't accept "explanations." Send it back and get a new one.

Jamie

What are some of these 'alternative' batteries that the eXplorist 400, 500, 600 series can use? I had always heard that these units used a proprietary battery. Interested in these 'other' types of batteries whether they are the correct type or not. You'd think that there would significant opportunity to cause damage to the unit with off-brand, out of spec batteries. My advice to the OP would be to immediately remove these batteries and get the correct batteries that should have come with the unit in the first place. Perhaps the Magellan www site can provide helpful info, eh? Sounds kinda strange.

Edited by Team Cotati
I'd guess your new battery is a few tenths of a volt different.

You are correct, I just checked and the battery is a 3.6v instead of 3.7v! I have already contacted the company I bought it from but have not heard back from the yet (the holidays I would presume.) I'm not sure how long it will last yet, I haven't had a chance to work with it as other events have overtaken me. I am hoping to get out today with it and give it a shot.

Doc

Motorola T720/T730 cell phone battery: Motorola part # SNN5595B

Seems like people are having luck with this battery.

The best way is charging the battery while in the GPS, instead of other means.

On a rainy day or at night you can charge the spares, then you have plenty of reserve power while on a trip.

Well, I finally got an actual Magellan battery and let it charge up overnight. It showed a full charge this morning while still connected to the charger. I took it off and turned the unit back on and guess what...it shows half a charge! I have since decided to hook it back up to keep charging except now, while the unit states that it is charging and everything, it shows virtually NO charge (when I unhook it, it still shows about half a charge.) :)

I have e-mailed Magellan and am typing this one-handed while having already sat on-hold waiting for someone to answer (due to heavy call volume) for about an hour! :rolleyes:

Doc

The XL uses AA batteries the same as my sportrak, and to the best of my knowledge, neither of my GPS's can I tell it what type of battery I am using. I start at 3/4 full power (according to the indicator) and it shuts down with about 1/4 left in the charge. I know it's the voltage difference and all but the GPS gives you less time to use it due to it's reading it inaccurately. Can this be changed with firmware or would it need something else internally and thus Magellan can't do anything about it now on these units?

I just got my eXplorist 210 today, stuck my batteries in and I noticed the same thing, it is saying the batteries are at HALF LIFE, yet they are fully charged and unused. Is this because they are rechargable batteries or is it just an issue with the explorist line? Wonder how long before a firmware update for the 210 comes out.

The explorist 210 does not use the same battery as the 400, 500 and 600.

IF the GPS did not have a battery in it when you bought it it makes me wonder if the dealer sold you a GPS that had been returned by another customer.

I have e-mailed Magellan

I never e-mail any compahies, they all tend to be very slow in responding. I just call there tech support on the phone, it is a lot faster. Magellan was closed for the holidays so they may take them even longer to get back to you.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
docdigit, just for fun, clean the contacts on the battery and the GPSr

Did that first thing. :laughing:

Unit would trickle charge via USB but nothing with the AC Adapter.

Just a thought.......

It's a possibility, but I again let it charge overnight and it showed a full charge when I turned the unit on while plugged in. As soon as I took it off of the cable, it showed a half charge again.

just call there tech support on the phone, it is a lot faster.

I sat on hold waiting for over an hour yesterday and never got a tech. I finally left a call back number in the hopes that they might call today (I'm sure that they will, while I'm gone!)

I was just wondering if anyone else has been seeing this on any of their 400, 500 or 600's or if mine is a fluke?

Thanks,

Doc

I was just wondering if anyone else has been seeing this on any of their 400, 500 or 600's or if mine is a fluke?

I just got my 600 yesterday, and I'm not seeing that problem. I hadn't even let it charge for 2 hours (new toy... anxious big kid wanting to play with it!) and it showed nearly a full charge after being on for a few minutes.

Scott

docdigit, just for fun, clean the contacts on the battery and the GPSr

Did that first thing. :unsure:

Unit would trickle charge via USB but nothing with the AC Adapter.

Just a thought.......

It's a possibility, but I again let it charge overnight and it showed a full charge when I turned the unit on while plugged in. As soon as I took it off of the cable, it showed a half charge again.

just call there tech support on the phone, it is a lot faster.

I sat on hold waiting for over an hour yesterday and never got a tech. I finally left a call back number in the hopes that they might call today (I'm sure that they will, while I'm gone!)

Thanks,

Doc

Sometimes it is easier to get through if you call when they open at Magellans time. I think they open at 8AM west coast time but I am not 100% sure. I have gotten throungh faster doing this with Magellan and Garmin in the past, But don't tell anyone, that will screw it all up :laughing:

Sometimes it is easier to get through if you call when they open at Magellans time.

I tried that this morning. So far now, I have left my call-back four times (plus the e-mail I sent them. ) I can't tell if their products are so incredibly screwed up that they can't keep up or if they only have two techs working!

Doc

As Dogbert once said, that's being small minded- it could be both! As for the reading, there are only a few logical possibilities. Either the battery voltage really is low, due to wrong battery type, bad battery, or charging problem, or the unit itself isn't reading the voltage correctly due to defect, adjustment, or software problem. Regarding the 210 mentioned above, my 210 reads normally with alkalines, but reads low with fully charged NiMH AAs. Almost all the rechargables have lower voltages than equivalent non-rechargables, so this is a common problem in that situation. In your situation, where the unit is designed for one specific battery, I'd expect it to read correctly. Since it sounds like the battery is removable, you might want to measure the actual voltage with a voltmeter when it's supposedly fully charged.

Cool, that is sort of what I figured. I don't have any normal batteries on hand at the moment so I will have to pick up a set, throw them in and see what the unit has to say.

Thanks.

p.s.

The 210 rocks, hitting first cache in a few hours and I beleive I've got the unit fairly well figured out already, woohoo!

...the saga continues...after many more frustrating calls to THALES (not able to get through calling at EXACTLY 10 seconds after 6:00 am Pacific Time), and after listening to some advise to allow the battery to totally discharge and then re-charge (ahem...it would NOT re-charge...) I decided to take drastic action.

Utilizing little known skills taught to me many years ago by mystic and arcane masters I was able to sneak through the THALES phone system and speak with the Tech Supervisor...within an hour I was actually speaking with a technician at that point! Unfortuantely, my GPS must now take a trip the GPS hospital for a check-up and possible surgery (battery as well.) Hope to see it again in about a week-and-a-half or so. With my luck, it will turn out to be the cable!

Doc