Help Me!

eaglespirit0

I notice a lot of quips, complaints, rebuttals, comments, etc. about people who don't do their share in the geocaching world because they don't hide enough caches or they don't hide enough quality caches.

I have hidden a total of eight physical caches, and to be quite honest, save two of them, they all pretty much suck. I had high visions for them and believed they were in the best interest to the caching public. However, with further retrospect, I would never want to find one of them. I have creative ideas, interesting locations, and a working mind; yet, I just can't seem to place a cache that lasts a long time, is fun to hunt, and maintains quality. The thought is there, it just doesn't pan out. I suppose you could tell me, well go find more caches, but with over 400, I've seen everything from a plastic bag to heavy-duty ammo cans.

So ...

Is there anyone else out there who will admit to not being able to place higher-than-caliber geocaches?

What would you prolific hiders suggest to people like me who, although they have the best interest of the community in mind, just cannot put an effective cache together for the life of them?

Thank-you so much, I look forward to hearing your comments/suggestions/gripes/rants/tired opinions/emoticons and hope you and yours a Happy Holiday season.

- EagleSpirit0

Not every cache needs to be an extraordinary experience. I've hidden over 130 caches and I know a few of them stunk. Some on purpose and some I realized later that they weren't very good.

The odd thing is that the sucky ones get the most finds.

Anyway, don't sweat your mistakes. Learn from them and place the kinds of caches that you would like to find.

We have several caches hidden and some of them are not so much sucky, but pretty much routine. I'll admit that creativity isnt one of my strong points but there are times when i come up with what i think is an interesting idea. My biggest problem is figuring out how to make those ideas work. I usually end up procrastinating and hardly ever get them into a working cache! B)

Why put out the effort even if it is a lame cache?

Well for one you get to see great views. e0a98bb2-19b2-4012-b8fd-567268a3a325.jpg

If the people don't like your cache they don't have to do them everyone has different reasons for geocaching. Some for the sig items, some for the views and seeing places you never get to see. For me it's the Hunt and adventure of being stealthy & meeting a great community of people that share the same interests.

I still enjoy finding them, it's the hiding part I'm finished with. Putting up with anal retentive logs, spoiler pics, and the aggravation submitting cache listings just isn't worth it. If you are in my neck of the woods when an event is being held, be sure to stop by. I will be offering my pre-made caches as door prizes. No, it's not a bag full of 35mm canisters or the like. There's an assortment of cache containers with log sheets/books and even swag. They're ready to be placed so I can claim a smiley.

Don't worry about it. The caching world is made up of all different types of people who play the game their own way. We need all types of caches to go along. Hide what you want, within the guidelines of course, and don't sweat the politics. There is someone for every cache, but every cache is not for everybody. If Joe Blow dosen't like micros, or guardrails, or hikes, then he dosen't have to look for them.

Since people whine and complain in logs, I've given up on hiding and in the process of archiving my caches.  Why put out the effort even if it is a lame cache?  If they spent half the time they do complaining contributing to the growth of caching, imagine what it would be like.

I sure hope you change your mind on this. I learned so much from you about hiding techniques, at a recent event, I had put your area on the top of my list to visit, just so I could find some of your hides. B)

Jackie

Edited by Geo Froggy