Etrex Legend C Or Meridian Platinum?

whohook

I received the Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS as a gift. I am considering exchanging it for a Garmin Etrex Legend C. The price is comparable at Com-U-Plus.

Among other things, the Etrex Legend C is smaller and lighter, has USB connection to PC, color screen, and longer battery life. The Magellan Meridian Platinum has a compass, barometer, quadrifilar helix antenna, and larger screen size.

Which screen would be easiest to read?

What is the general opinion?

Thanks!

The eTrex C will have a much easier to read screen and is generally easier to use. The compass in the MeriPlat is nice, but not a necessity and I have never really used the altimeter in my units, so unless you are a mountaineer, the usefullness of that is debatable.

I've used the Meridians and found the user interface and size to be a big turnoff for me. I like the size of the eTrex units. The antenna is not an issue as the newer patch antennas equal or outperform the older quad helix designs.

The big advantage of the Meridian is that it has expandable memory. If you travel far and frequently and don't have a laptop readily available, that could be important. On the other hand, if you expect to use your GPS within a couple hundred miles of your home most of the time, the Legend C should have plenty of map memory for that (unless you live in a major metropolitan area like DC, NYC, LA or Chi).

Edited by briansnat