"checking Media" Explorist 500

Lajoie 5

When connecting my Explorist 500 to my PC the unit continually hangs on "checking media" and or it fails the connection and "unknown USB device" is reported. I am connecting it as instructed and have installed and re-installed the software multiple times and installed the latest firmware. My computer is a P4 with 1GB RAM, XPSP2. I have noticed many users complaining about the same issue all over the internet. The unit works great with the exception of the PC connection software/hardware? The workaround is to save your geocaches to your SD card on the PC then load the card back into the GPSr. The frustrating part is that the software/USB connection just hangs and or fails? Magellan Tech Support is no help so far and was hoping someone has another suggestion and or recommendation. I am so tired of paying good money for something and it rarely works as advertised. B)

USB magic often works; it's a head-scratcher when it doesn't. I haven't much to offer, other than to verify that when you say you are connecting as instructed, that you are doing so with the cable running down the length of the unit (cable-down position). When these units first came out, a lot of us tried the cable-up position not knowing any better, which didn't work. I am under an impression that the shipping materials are now a little more explicit about the correct cable hookup position.