Ipaq Pocket Pc

St.Nicholas

For me it's real easy to load the caches in my iPaq. I just drag the GPX query file into my Pocket PC My Documents folder on my computer desktop. When I sync it moves the file onto the PDA. Or if you have a memory card just open it and drag the GPX file into it.

GPXSonar is a great program for managing the files. Download it, sync it onto your PDA. Any GPX files you have will show in Sonar and you can click on the caches from there.

I had ask previouly about using my ipaq 2795 for geo caching. Thanks to you that responded but I need more informatioin. I guess what I should say is, I need detailed info for dummies. I know little to nothing about the PDA I bought and hardly anyone knows how to use them for caching. What I need to know is how do I get the cache page on the PDA ( please add detail), I can get it in Word format but I have to scroll back and forth to read the page and it takes forever to download a page or two. There has to be a better way. I have downloaded GPX sonar but don't know really how to use it. Do I download the page to the GPX sonar and then to my IPAQ or what? Any more assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ace 3

I had ask previouly about using my ipaq 2795 for geo caching. Thanks to you that responded but I need more informatioin. I guess what I should say is, I need detailed info for dummies. I know little to nothing about the PDA I bought and hardly anyone knows how to use them for caching. What I need to know is how do I get the cache page on the PDA ( please add detail), I can get it in Word format but I have to scroll back and forth to read the page and it takes forever to download a page or two. There has to be a better way. I have downloaded GPX sonar but don't know really how to use it. Do I download the page to the GPX sonar and then to my IPAQ or what? Any more assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ace 3

Did you load the gpxsonar program into the Ipaq? Once that is done, copy and paste the gpx file from your PC into the memory card in the ipzq. Open the gps program and select the gpx file.

For better magaement of the PQ files you download from geocaching.com, use GSAK. Good luck.

I had thought there was a pinned topic somwhere with a FAQ on paperless caching, but I don't see it, and forum search is disabled so...

Google paperless geocaching.

The short version for PPC:

1. Get Pemium membership.

2. Install GPXSonar

3. Get gpx files through Pocket Queries.

3. Transfer gpx files created byeither Pocket queries or GSAK to the PPC.

4. Use GPX Sonar to open gpx files and view complete cache pages.

Thanks, Ace 3

I have precisely an IPAQ 2795 that I'm using for geocaching. I got the unit to research remote diagnostics of server status--but decided to hook up a GPS to it and take it biking. A passerby noticed, and turned me on to geocaching.

First, my rig: an iPAQ 2795 with a Pharos iGPS-BT (bluetooth) GPS. The software I use is "Backcountry Navigator" (www.crittermap.com). It's not free... but the price is reasonable: $30.00. I like it because it provides a way to download TOPO and Aerial maps for free from Terraserver.

I then bought a premium membership to Groundspeak, and generate a pocket query for the areas I'm interested in. This website sends you "GPX" files which you can simply copy to the 2795 using Activesync. Then Crittermap imports them and voila! As you view Topos and Aerial maps, the caches are displayed on the map... and optionally you can have crittermap draw and arrow from your GPS-reported location to the cache. Got stumped at ground zero? The hints are all there loaded too (http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/content/view/19/41/ is their walking tour of how to geocache with their software).

Their software could use a few more features, but thus far I'm very pleased with it. I'm a newbie at geocaching... but have found 8 of 8 so far with no problems. The pointing arrow is a Godsend--just point your IPaq north and look at where the arrow is pointing.

Oh, by the way, I use Pocket Streets for the street map use--but the two applications don't like each other when accessing the GPS. You have to exit one in order to use the other--it's a pain in the butt... so if there is a better solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Oh, by the way, I use Pocket Streets for the street map use--but the two applications don't like each other when accessing the GPS.  You have to exit one in order to use the other--it's a pain in the butt... so if there is a better solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Franson GPSGate

I tried it. It didn't work... the IPaq 2795 is a Windows Mobile 5 platform--if that makes any difference. GPSGate added new serial ports, and although the running apps _think_ it connected to the GPS using the virtual ports, the applications never get data.

I'll ponder this a little more. Thank God for google.

I tried it. It didn't work... the IPaq 2795 is a Windows Mobile 5 platform--if that makes any difference. GPSGate added new serial ports, and although the running apps _think_ it connected to the GPS using the virtual ports, the applications never get data.

Don't have a solution, but according to Microsoft, .NET Compact Framework 2 (which comes on WM5) is supposed to have its own "GPSGate" so multiple programs can access a GPS port. Not sure if programs have to specifically tap into that or if its automatic though.

As for the topic at hand, once you get your Pocket Queries through your Premium Membership, import them into Smache, Its a one-step process and you get complete information and functionality.