Having Waymarks Combined Into Geocaching Profile

fishingdude720

i don't like that it is not easy to switch from the GC.com profile to the WM.com profile. Sometime you want to see both without a lot of clicking.

it would also generate 'buzz' when cachers see the new stat, and they will begin Waymarking themselves.

i think that it needs to be a new tab though, as stated somewhere about getting a traveller tab--to reduce clutter. thus, GC.com and Wm.com could have the SAME profile page, having all the info in one place, and save prescious server space.

Wasn't the whole point of spinning off waypoints was to seperate the two??

I have no interest in seeing combined stats, and hope it doesn't happen.

I have to agree. How does me finding 100 local McDonald's in my area relate to geocaching?

Stopping at 100 local McDonalds does relate to geocaching ... after all those stops, you're gonna be so fat & slow you won't be able to do anything other than a 1/1 geocache!

B)

Ugh, another reason I disagree with the creation of Waymarking.com. I miss having all of the different kinds of caches (including virtual, reverse, etc.) on one website, and being able to see them in one's stats. Not to say that Waymarking is wrong, but I hope that it goes back to the way it was.

We were told that Waymarking was the solution for the moratorium on Locationless caches. Then were were told that Waymarking would also be the solution to the subjective "wow" requirement on Virtuals. But then the PURITANS said "Locationless and Virtuals are not caches and never were caches". I personallly think that Waymarking can be the solution to the problems of locationless and virtuals. I am even willing to not have waymarks count in my find count. But using the argument that waymarks are not geocaches and therefore there should be no integration of statistics or searching between the two sites seems like we were lied to for two years while we waited for the "solution". The PURITANS' solution is make anything they don't like go away. I used to like geocaching because different people could participate in different ways. No more raspberry flavored ice cream. Only chocolate and vanilla are served here :)

Would an extra tab really be that hard to ignore? I don't care much about the number of bugs/coins someone's logged, so I'm not very inclined to click on the "trackables" tag in someone's profile. But it's still helpful to have. OTOH, there have been numerous times I've wanted to peek at someone's Waymarking stats, to see if they're involved in that site or not. As it is now, I don't know of a way to look up someone's Waymarking profile without clicking through on a waymark or category they own/ have logged.

Maybe an opt-in "show Waymarking stats tab in user profiles" checkbox on the account info page so that people who are opposed to linking to Waymarking stats from gc.com could not have them show up when they view others' profiles?

Would an extra tab really be that hard to ignore? I don't care much about the number of bugs/coins someone's logged, so I'm not very inclined to click on the "trackables" tag in someone's profile. But it's still helpful to have. OTOH, there have been numerous times I've wanted to peek at someone's Waymarking stats, to see if they're involved in that site or not. As it is now, I don't know of a way to look up someone's Waymarking profile without clicking through on a waymark or category they own/ have logged.

Maybe an opt-in "show Waymarking stats tab in user profiles" checkbox on the account info page so that people who are opposed to linking to Waymarking stats from gc.com could not have them show up when they view others' profiles?

I'm 100% in favor of either a Waymarking icon or a Waymarking tab.

We were told that Waymarking was the solution for the moratorium on Locationless caches. Then were were told that Waymarking would also be the solution to the subjective "wow" requirement on Virtuals. But then the PURITANS said "Locationless and Virtuals are not caches and never were caches". I personallly think that Waymarking can be the solution to the problems of locationless and virtuals. I am even willing to not have waymarks count in my find count. But using the argument that waymarks are not geocaches and therefore there should be no integration of statistics or searching between the two sites seems like we were lied to for two years while we waited for the "solution". The PURITANS' solution is make anything they don't like go away. I used to like geocaching because different people could participate in different ways. No more raspberry flavored ice cream. Only chocolate and vanilla are served here :)

I hear ya. I'm vanilla in Chocolate City myself.

gc.com tends to go in cycles.

A new thing comes out and then it needs to be accommodated and then it gets out of control and there's a backlash and then it gets a clampdown. All because no one really knows how something is going to evolve until about the third iteration.

All these things you mention about the puritans are all manifestations of this.

There are tons of examples which have repeated the pattern here:

Micros - tons of haters - accomodated with size filters, power trails forbidden

Virtuals - "it's not the basis for the activity" - now moved to Waymarking

Locationless - ditto

Geocoins - big backlash brewing on this one for the last month - with all the "virtual" geocoins and posts about events becoming coin-centric - accomodated with new trackables page

And then odd little areas where gc.com has tried to embrace related things like benchmarks and letterboxing but they end up kind of trailing behind and no one really knows what their future is.

I think you've just got to sit back and enjoy the ride. There are always other sites which will arise to handle things which have been completely ruled out here:

Terracaching: Community policing, scoring, FTF codes, verification codes

Geodashing: GPS sightseeing (no physical cache)

How about putting the waymark stats combined into the page like:

Traditional Caches: 10

Multi-caches: 10

Virtual Caches: 10

Event Caches: 10

Unknown (Mystery) Caches: 10

Waymarks Visited: 10

How about it? :mad:

Well, if you do that you may as well as change the name to Locationless! Groundspeak decided to create a complete new site (game) for locationless and other things and this would just be a way of putting them back in. I don't think they would want to have put all the effort into creating a new site to basically put things back the way they were.

As a tab maybe, but frankly I do not care much for Waymarking so don't really care if its there or not.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

Me Too!

Me Three! :D

Me Four!

I totally forgot about this topic and just noticed it on the list and then noticed it was mine! I had posted it before the new tabs were here. So I am in 100% for the new tab but not fro what I posted before.

Traditional Caches: 10

Multi-caches: 10

Virtual Caches: 10

Event Caches: 10

Unknown (Mystery) Caches: 10

Waymarks Visited: 10

I just thought it would be cool. I also noticed some people don't like the idea. The checkbox to put it in the profile idea will come in.

well I am in all for whatever is created. :D Now to just sit here and wait :D

Me Too!

Me Three! :anicute:

Me Four!

Me five!

In fact...I agree with this so much, that I started a thread in the Getting Started with Waymarking forum a while back ago! GC.com & Waymarking

My thread is for the icon on the GC.com stats. I do not feel that we need another tab....the Waymarking icon on our stats is their because Geocaching and Waymarking are owned by Groundspeak, I think their should be an icon for Geocaches found on our Waymarking stats so that Geocaching can be represented on Waymarking.

I like the thing that was said in the other thread in that if and when we get an icon for our GC.com stats then more people will be Waymarking....icons are incentive

Edited by Super_Nate