Waypoint Distance Measurement

Vacman

Wondering if anyone has figured out a way to grab waypoints from a cache page to compare distances.

Here is the senerio.

People can log my Vacman geocoins on my site, and for a couple of years I was able to track the distances these coins traveled. Now that GC requires a user to be logged in to view WP info, it will no longer work My system is now broken (in this regard only). I hate to take this feature off my site, but I might have to if I can't figure another way to do it.

I believe your site was crawling through the Geocaching.com page. That's a violation of the terms of use.

Hmm - Crawling almost implies trawling...

The way it worked before is that a coin would be logged, and my script would look up the wapoint for the last cache the coins was in as well as the new one, get the lat/lon from that page then I used my own algo to compute distances...

I guess it could be construed as a crawl - all of two pages when a coin is logged (about 2 a week).

Oh well - guess it will have to go... Heck, I would even be willing to pay to have access to this ability....

I guess it could be construed as a crawl - all of two pages when a coin is logged (about 2 a week).

How did your old app work with Members Only caches, where you have always needed to be logged in?

If it's only a couple of caches a week, then there are several easy solutions for you. One is to manually put the coords into a database that your app can use from then on. Two caches a week doesn't seem like a big imposition.

But easier still, you can just add the caches that your coins visit to a bookmark list, and get the PQ of that list delivered to you every week. Then you have all the coords automatically.

How did your old app work with Members Only caches, where you have always needed to be logged in?

If it's only a couple of caches a week, then there are several easy solutions for you. One is to manually put the coords into a database that your app can use from then on. Two caches a week doesn't seem like a big imposition.

But easier still, you can just add the caches that your coins visit to a bookmark list, and get the PQ of that list delivered to you every week. Then you have all the coords automatically.

I actually had it scripted so it would send me an e-mail if it recieved a strange response from the GC site. I then would manually retrieve the info.

For now I have simply deleted this feature. No big deal...