Do Gps Units Come Ready To Play?

snowfoxrox

Hi all! Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, and Happy Holidays for everyone else!

I have a question, I have been given some money to buy my first GPS (Yay!) My question is: Do they come with everything you need to go hunting? Or do I need to allow for having to buy software?

Any help would be MUCH appriciated!

~snowfoxrox~

You can certainly cache with just what's in the box; after all, all you need is something to point at the cache coordinates. Most units will come with a base map, but that's really not going to be useful in road navigation out of the box because it's so coarse in detail. About all you'll have to do with your first GPSr is to put batteries in it and turn it on. Give it 15 minutes of open sky to locate itself and get the full positional information almanac and you'll be ready to go; put in some cache coordinates and go find it.

Of course, after that, you'll probably want to check out automation methods and more detailed maps and paperless caching and ... you get the picture. It's addicting. For automation I recommend Geocaching Swiss Army Knife assuming you use Windows, and becoming a Premium member so you can download Pocket Queries of caches in your area.

For further information check out the FAQ linked at the top of this forum.

That's a pretty good choice; my first GPS specifically purchased for caching was an Etrex Legend blue. It'll do everything you need for caching.

The maps are something you'll probably end up wanting at some point; it's nice to be able to use the unit to navigate to the cache area, as well as to find the cache itself. But you don't actually need anything other than what's in the box.

The Legend C is a good unit, I have not used it, but have researched it's features and like it.

It however does not come with mapping software, and you will have to like you said, spend more for mapping. This is pretty much the norm for GPS's. Lowrance offers packages, this might interest you because all you need (even mapping and accessories) is in the box.

Hope that helps.

...Of course, after that, you'll probably want to check out automation methods and more detailed maps and...

Wecome new bee.

My first GPSr was an eMap. It came with maps of major streets and highways. You basically set your desired coordinates (Waypoint) and followed the arrow on a compass while trying to look at a map (jumping from screen to screen). Rather difficult to drive while figuring out the best route. You can't load more detailed maps onto it (that I know of).

I now have a Garmin 60cs (comes with detailed maps for PC and Mac) so I let it figure out the route. And if I miss a turn, it re-routes me without my interaction. Get the picture? Two hands on the wheel and eye's on the road!

The costs between the two extremes is note worthy but there's a reason people pay bigger bucks of the extras. I like to enjoy the surroundings while in route to the final cache adventure and the safer, less distracting models. One rule of thumb is the more you pay, the better they play. (Don't forget to shop for the best price too when you decide on a unit!)

All GPSr's will work for Geocaching but not all will work for you. Welcome to the fun.

I am considering buying the Garmin eTrex Legend Color. I would hate to spend all my money and find out that I cant use it with out buying another $110 worth of map software. :) Arrgghh!

I love "Plug-N-Play" gizmos! You turn em on and they are set to go!

Thanks for yer help!

~SFR~

You don't need to have any maps loaded to geocache. The arrow will point in the direction of the cache. Many GPS units dont have maps. The GPS you mentioned has a base map already loaded and the extra software just gives it more detail.

Cool beans. Read a review saying that they didnt know they needed extra softwear, and got worried!

Thank you for all of the responses!! (just shows how addicted we all really are! :P ) In fact I get to play Santa tonight and have a cache I wanna find along the way! :)

~SFR~

You don't need the mapping software. You can use it for geocaching out of the box - BUT it makes your GPS much more useful. The maps it comes with are very basic and only have major roads.

By adding something like Mapsource Topo you will see terrain details. Topo will show lakes, ponds and streams. It will tell you if there is a ravine, cliff, mountain, swamp, etc... between you and your destination.

By adding Mapsource City Select you will have detailed road information and autorouting You can key in an address or other destination and the GPS will provide turn by turn directions to it. A very handy feature. Also City Select has a data base of over 5 million services and businesses. If you want to know where the nearest mall, post office, park, hotel, gas station, restaurant, beauty salon, museum, etc... is, your GPS will tell you and give you turn by turn directions there.

So the software is not something you need to buy, but its something you might consider buying down the road, or perhaps putting it on your birthday wish list.

My first GPSr was an eMap. It came with maps of major streets and highways. You basically set your desired coordinates (Waypoint) and followed the arrow on a compass while trying to look at a map (jumping from screen to screen). Rather difficult to drive while figuring out the best route. You can't load more detailed maps onto it (that I know of).

I now have a Garmin 60cs (comes with detailed maps for PC and Mac) so I let it figure out the route.

Just a few comments on the above. The eMap certainly does have the capability of loading detailed maps like Topo, MetroGuide, and CitySelect - and in fact it was frequently sold as a package which included a memory card and the MetroGuide detailed mapping software. [Three common packages were offered: just the eMap, the eMap plus memory card & cable, and the eMap & card & cable & MetroGuide.]

OTOH, the 60cs is almost always sold without any detailed map software included and its basemap is actually considerably less detailed than the one in the eMap. Some dealers may offer package deals, but AFAIK, none are offered direct from Garmin.

And Garmin does not offer a Mac-compatible version of their software although some have gotten it to work on a Mac by using the Virtual PC software.

To the original poster: yes, you can start geocaching with just the LegendC. But I'd strongly recommend that you get the CitySelect map software at some point. It'll make the LegendC far more useful for a variety of other things besides geocaching and will make the geocaching more enjoyable as well by making it much easier to drive to the vicinity of the caches.

I like to keep my gps as basic as possible. I use an original etrex (yellow) that has no mapping capabilities. I like the idea of having to navigate with out the electronics pointing me in every detailed turn. I see some cachers using some very technical equipment and they always have their nose burried in their unit. They are missing the enjoyment of just being out caching. If it's the technoloigy you enjoy thats great but I enjoy the out doors. I'm gonna stay with my $90 yellow etrex.

B) OK just zipped through some of the posts and have to say that I find some of what is said to be overstated. I just started geocaching, under 20 finds. I use an Etrex yellow. Nothing else. I simply input the coords off the website and folow the arrow. To me it is kinda fun having to navigate the streets to find the trailhead. After that I think that all GPS units are about the same. Sometimes I wander about the patch antenna in the Etrex, but it hasn't sent me astray yet. I say just punch it in and go! Get out there and find them. Sure lots of things can make it easier, punching in coords it tedious, but you can put in the batteries and go. Just my thoughts.

Hi Snowfoxrox,

I have a Garmin Legend C; it's a great GPS. It comes with basic maps of the world. The maps don't show much road detail, just major highways. One thing you can do to help find the location of the cache before hand is to put the coordinates into Google Earth or local.google.com (better for slow computers). You really don't need any map on the GPS for geocaching.

You might want more detailed maps on the GPS in the future. Personally, I picked them up when I bought it, as I bought the GPS primarily to help my find my way around town.

Then I found that "Geocaching" icon... and the rest is history. B)