Earthcaches

Blue Bomb

Without the search feature, I do not know if this has been discussed yet, so here it goes:

Playing around on the geocaching.com maps to print out 25 or so caches around my destination in Canada this winter (as well as a few on the way to stretch our legs) I was happy to find out that the area is not as starved for caches as it once was, and there are quite a few new ones.

Yesterday I ran a pocket query for the 100 closest cahes to my destination so I could use GCSAK to upload the ooordinates to my GPS, and I noticed an earthcache in the list. GCKTD9, Rocks that Grew Earthcache.

I went to the earthcache page and realized it should have been included in my pile of print outs, so I went to the geocaching.com maps to see where it was among the other caches I picked out.

Geocaching.com put cross hairs on the map where it was centered and the the cache did not show up.

I zoomed out a few times, and hit identify, which gave me a list of 15 or so caches in the area, but no earthcache.

Is this by design, or did Groundspeak forget the include the earthcaches on the maps when that category got started?

Won't matter much in 6 days ... I thought Earthcaches are moving to Waymarking along with virtuals and locationless (aren't they?)

Locationless will be archived and locked.

Other non-phyisicals (virtuals, earthcaches, etc) will stay, but no new ones will be listed. (They maybe have started declining these already)

edit:(google isn't the best forum search engine)

Other thread seems this has been a noted problem. Also makes me think Earthcaches will be moved?? :o

Edited by welch
Won't matter much in 6 days ... I thought Earthcaches are moving to Waymarking along with virtuals and locationless (aren't they?)

Locationless will be archived and locked.

Other non-phyisicals (virtuals, earthcaches, etc) will stay, but no new ones will be listed. (They maybe have started declining these already)

From www.earthcache.org, it says all new ones will be listed on Waymarking.com ... not sure what will happen to the existing ones. I've listed my 3 earthcaches on both sites.

I believe I've read that Earthcaches are going to Waymarking as well. Wish I had the search feature...

Ah -the posted sticky at the top of Waymarking:

Here it is.

Are any other categories being removed from Geocaching.com?

Yes. Most likely web cam caches and Earthcaches will be moved to the Waymarking site. As with virtuals, existing maintained listings will remain active on geocaching.com for the near future.

Edited by Markwell
I believe I've read that Earthcaches are going to Waymarking as well. Wish I had the search feature...

Ah -the posted sticky at the top of Waymarking:

Here it is.

Are any other categories being removed from Geocaching.com?

Yes. Most likely web cam caches and Earthcaches will be moved to the Waymarking site. As with virtuals, existing maintained listings will remain active on geocaching.com for the near future.

Ok, is there a timeline for these like for locationless?