Bolp 1

scoobydooers

I was actually just at III today. The water level is very high (I seem to have had more trouble reaching this cache than other loggers); also the ice is too thin to support anything. I tried to see if there was a way via the power lines to get from Troy Meadows Road north to alongside rt 80 - this seems arduous if not treacherous. My next thought is to try to gain access to the meadows close to Beverwyck and Rt. 80... Good luck! Or, wait until a very cold spell. I'm busy that week, but post the day & time , and I'll see if I can break free!

The conditions around the BOLP caches now are similar to what they were when I placed the caches. In fact they may be a bit easier now as the vegetation is down a bit and the mosquitos are gone. Troy Meadows is one of the great "forgotten" areas in northern NJ and definitely worth a visit in any season.

High water actually adds to the fun, as you can see by Vanm's log. I had a similar fun time hiding the caches.

Here is a map:

e78f3b3b-94ec-4066-9712-150061b924bb.jpg

Edited by briansnat
OK, I'm confused, which is nothing new.  I't's been a few years since I've done this series but I seem to recall that BOLPI was easy and that BOLPIII was the hardest of the three.

From reading the cache sheet it seems the former entrance into the woods for this cache is off limits and you have to access it the same area as BOLPIII. Which I'm guessing makes this more difficult.

Edited by Straatmaker 5
OK, I'm confused, which is nothing new.  I't's been a few years since I've done this series but I seem to recall that BOLPI was easy and that BOLPIII was the hardest of the three.

From reading the cache sheet it seems the former entrance into the woods for this cache is off limits and you have to access it the same area as BOLPIII. Which I'm guessing makes this more difficult.

That's basically it. The orignal access point is now off limits so what was once a 2 star terrain cache is now 3.5 - 4 depending on the season.

I was scopeing out the area yesterday. the water table is indeed high.

The schdedule was very flexable and being open to sudgestions and so far Friday Dec 30 is the only day that has been sudgested, since this will give the water a little time to receed, We will reschedule the expadition to Friday Dec 30, at about 10am.

Hmmm ... i have fond (no not fond) memories of both those caches... I did BOLP I then continued on over the frozen wasteland to do BOLP III only to find the ammo can frozen shut! I logged a DNF, only to return during the spring and get eaten alive by mosies and things much larger than mosies! :o

Where to meet? I have not seen the signs on Edwards Road, but it seems there are potential access points either from the west (maybe meet at the shopping center at Beverwyck & 46), or from the east (meet somewhere off Ridgedale near Edgemount), or from the south (Troy Meadows rd, that access did not seem promising to me). If you've been scouting, what are your thoughts?

Where to meet?  I have not seen the signs on Edwards Road, but it seems there are potential access points either from the west (maybe meet at the shopping center at Beverwyck & 46), or from the east (meet somewhere off Ridgedale near Edgemount), or from the south (Troy Meadows rd, that access did not seem promising to me).  If you've been scouting, what are your thoughts?

Best access I know of is from Troy Meadow Rd which is off Beverwick. Edwards was the original access point but is off limits thanks to the "no trespassing" signs. I wonder WTF the state is doing there.

Darn I'd like to go, but I'll be in Vt.

Edited by briansnat

I was out again yesterday looking for an alternate way in. one thought was parking near the old Hanover Airport, but thats not doable, another idea was parking over at Sharkys Dump and walking across 280 overpass, but there are fences blocking access into the area. the third probem is the 4 feet of water that is in the entire area. there is absultly no dry land past the fence line along 280 anywhere between the sewage plant in hanover all the way to rt 80. the entire basin is flooded.

I am strongly sudgesting putting this off until either it freezes or drys up alittle

BUT if you really want to go swimming then I would really love to watch.

Wally

Parking is at BLOP 3 off Troy Meadows Rd

I would strongly sudgest a drive by at Rt 280 exit 1 (edwards rd) and have a look

see for yourself

Edited by scoobydooers

You bunch of lilly-livered land lubbers! Let's see who has YOUR back next time you encounter a bear on the trail... Well, at least BOLP I has ONE log for 2005 !!

Indefatigable, however, looks like it may require an amphibious vehicle, chest waders, or something inflatable.

Happy caching in 2006!