Who Places The Best Caches In Your Area?

CoyoteRed

Let's forget about smilies for a minute. Let's congratulate the cachers who provide us with consistently entertaining, creative, or enlightening caches in our area--caches you would hunt even without the smilie. These would be the area's cachers where if someone from another area who approaches you and asks what caches you think they should do.

You answer with, "You can't go wrong with any cache by..."

I'll start it off with: (OK, so I was a little slow.)

Mine are:

(Broken up into different genres.)

Swamp Thing: For entertaining multis and creative use of the environment.

Fenndog: Most creative puzzles.

MollyB: Will get you out into the nice rural areas. Typically overstocks her caches!

JISandlappers: Puts caches near nice places to be.

There are others, but off the top of my head, these are the most prolific placers with consistently good caches.

Edited by CoyoteRed

If I had to go with a gut/knee-jerk-reaction answer, I would have to say for consisentency Stunod - his caches are consistently very good ones.

But then I went looking at my top 10% list, and looked at which cachers placed caches in my region that had more than one cache listed as one of my tops...

robamy (Robert Reindl) is pretty amazing. He only owns two active caches, and they're BOTH on my favorite top 10% list. Also placed the first cache ever in Illinois (still active).

grampa is also another cacher that has two on my favorite list.

Greenback has a pair of caches on my favorite. He's also an extremely prolific finder and hider. Amazing stuff.

But the one that is right up there on the top of my list is Eagle Son with three caches on my top 10% list.

I'm also very partial to bspeng and twocampers, but they are much less active.

One other side-note in answering this question. I found it amazing that each of the cachers that I listed above all joined prior to 2003.

Edited by Markwell

In the Concord, NC area, Mr&Mrs. Parrotthead have some great caches. My favorite series has been their series of Pirate caches, they were great, well stocked and in the woods, not under a lamp post. :rolleyes:

Geoholic28 has put out some great puzzle caches in Columbia, SC. His puzzles have really made my head hurt at times. Always well stocked ammo cans in the woods too.

I prefer to lurk, having never posted before, but I need to give credit where it is due. When I started this madness last March in Massachusetts, Geometry’s caches gave me the fits. Now Bigrock95 and Loch Cache have stepped up and made some creative and innovative hides. And let’s not forget Bubba Riley’s Middlesex Canal series.

Thanks guys.

I prefer to lurk, having never posted before, but I need to give credit where it is due.  When I started this madness last March in Massachusetts, Geometry’s caches gave me the fits.  Now Bigrock95 and Loch Cache have stepped up and made some creative and innovative hides.  And let’s not forget Bubba Riley’s Middlesex Canal series.

Thanks guys.

Recently DNF'd an inspring Loch Cache, got my first (although not my last certaintly) BigRock95, and Geometry gave us quite the headache one day! All three have great and creative hides. I agree with you 100% three wonderful hiders.

I would also like to give kudos to BluEyez & Bugsy and codswallop, both a little closer to me. Very clever hides and multi stages! Always have fun doing their caches!

Edited by Teamhawaii1981 & blueicyrose

In northern NJ its Treequest and Team Rampant Lion. They have they have both combined quantity with quality, placing excellent, traditional caches in some very interesting areas. No guardrail and supermarket micros for these guys. Treequest is particulary good at finding out of the way, interesting spots (my favorite of Treequest's is in a narrow mine shaft that goes 100+ feet into the hillside), while Team Rampant Lion is known for some challenging hikes in areas that are not widely known to hikers. Treequest makes his own containers and they are often built with a specific area in mind, while TRL leaves well stocked ammo boxes.

In central NJ its Natureboy44 and Ekitt10. I haven't found many of their caches but they have a good rep. Unlike Treequest and TRL who place mostly traditional caches, Natureboy and Ekitt10 tend towads puzzle caches and tougher hides.

Edited by briansnat
I'd like to thank a few of my favorite local cache hiders for the remarkable caches they put out:

IGBAY OOBAY: Even his easy caches are almost guaranteed to stump the experienced finders.

Agouracharger: Great at combining unique containers and challenging means of extraction in urban locations.

BLIG: Excellent hides in great locations.

I've done a number of Igbays caches. They are among my favorites.

In Northern California, we have had a slew of new cachers come out with some very excellent series hunts. Here are a few:

Scrooge Series by Thrak

NUTS for Christmas series by redvoodo

Wacky racers series by blucruz and family

Upper ridge nature preserve series by plunk and froggy

Thanks for all the great caches, guys!!!

Ed & Julie

TB&TB

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly

On Long Island we are really lucky. It would be easier to name the 1 or 2 people who have hidden lame ones. Just about everyone hides seriously high quality caches around here. If you're ever in this area look for names like Macatac1961, Waterspyder, Squealy, Bayonets4u, JerryMonkey, WRR and BlackBuck just to name a few. You won't be dissapointed.

This guy on the other hand, he hides some real crap: Don Piccolo Molto.

In my area, it wouldn't be fair to try and name them, too many great hiders and I wouldn't want to miss someone. Almost all the regular hiders in CT would make the A-list. It would be easier to compile the very short list of hiders I don't enjoy, but if you want to see that you're gonna have to come over and look at my ignore list.

Oregon Coast (central - Coos Bay/North Bend area) (97420/97459)

Anything put out by mackie. He has a number of great walks into the National Dunes Recreational Area where the ATV's are not allowed. One (Oregon Walkabout) is a multi that is about 8 miles long and takes you through a variety of the ecosystems found in the dunes.

Thunder N Rain has some great walks as well.

I'm not a great fan of micros but for those who like 'em BERLINER has 67 active micros - nearly all placed in outdoorsie, park, trail type locations. Some took me to places I had never been to in 26 years living in this area.

On Long Island we are really lucky. It would be easier to name the 1 or 2 people who have hidden lame ones. Just about everyone hides seriously high quality caches around here. If you're ever in this area look for names like Macatac1961, Waterspyder, Squealy, Bayonets4u, JerryMonkey, WRR and BlackBuck just to name a few. You won't be dissapointed.

This guy on the other hand, he hides some real crap: Don Piccolo Molto.

Don't forget to put yourself on the top of that list!Just be warned on his caches that say "you should find with no problem", Theirs a good chance you'll be posting a dnf :o

In the Frederick, Maryland area, I would say it is any cache placed by rthwrm, without a doubt! In central and WEstern MD, I must nominate Fergus -- his caches are great! From my limited experience in Northern NJ, I would say Bluehook, and from my limited exposures in Central NJ and in VA, I would say Ekitt10. In Colorado, I would say Tahosa. In India and Nepal, it is without a doubt Minnesota Dave.

Memphis area: JamieZ

Aw shucks. Actually, SpencerSB has some really good ones around here. I took a day last summer and found every one of his hides. Well.. I looked for all of them and had two DNFs.

Bitbrain is another notable Memphis hider. He's pretty good at finding those places that are really inaccessible, interesting cache containers, and quirky twists.

In northern Mississippi, DeltaDawg's caches are almost all on my favorites list. His other hobby of locating long-forgotten cemeteries leads to numerous memorable cache locations.

Jamie

There are a LOT of quality cache placers in the North Texas area so it's a real challenge to to narrow it down to a few, but after looking back at my finds, I remember that I had the most fun experiences with a story to tell afterwards while doing Hedge Hopper's or Cammie455's caches. Of course many of theirs are longer more challenging hikes, and many times more rural than most, so they lend themselves to a good experience with a story to tell.

In Southern Alberta we have been blessed with some remarkable cachers. There is a Charter Member who places awesome hides, that would be 3jaze. We are also extremely lucky to be the home territory for outforthehunt, a name familiar to geocachers all over the world.

We have great geocachers in our area but these two names are certain to play a big part in any adventure in this neck of the woods.

What a great idea for a thread CR.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

For the NY Captial District (Albany) area and general northestern New York we have Rusty O Junk and Marc G. who both provide quality caches that make you use all your geocaching skills. We are blessed to have many other very good cache hiders in our area as well.

For an outstanding multiple-cache series check out the Shadow Marathon cache by Tenebrus. This is a 10-Part cache series that combines every type of hide method, container, math, night-time components, and deviously unique techniques, to ultimately find the 11th and Final cache.