Garmin Gpsmap-60c Opinions?

Broadaxe

Thinking of purchasing a Garmin GPSMAP-60C to replace my long-dead Magellan Map330. I've read good things and bad things, the bad things being mostly about having to almost "ask permission" from Garmin to unlock software. I doubt I will be downloading very much on it, mostly just geocaching. I've looked at other GPSr's, but the GPSMAP-60C keeps turning my head in a good way.

Is the GPSMAP-60C worth the effort?

Thanks,

Greg

I really like mine. Larger screen, more memory compared to my LegendC. Well identified Find & Mark buttons. Portable and light. For me, it's worth every penny. As for unlocking maps, yes if you want to have detailed city maps with their POI and auto routing feature. Then you'll have to buy City Select or City Navigator. Other wise, you'll have only the basemap but still will do auto routing on major roads and hways. With the 60C, you can also had an external antenna.

You can also read this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=117097

Edited by Nomade

I used an eTrex Vista for about 3 years before getting a 60CS this year. It's been terrific. The color screen is an enormous improvement over the B&W Vista - I can quickly see which way to turn when navigating on the road. The Autorouting is fast and accurate. The reception, compared to my Vista, is improved - this is not based on any sort of testing, just memories of cringing whenever a cache hunt took me under heavy tree cover. I have not had as many moments where the GPS goes numb and can't get a lock. The USB connection lets me download 56MB worth of maps in minutes - it used to take about 45 minutes to download 24MB into my Vista.

I would highly recommend the City Select software. Without it you are missing out on one of the best features of the 60CS - the autorouting. And the POI actually come in handy when you are on the road and want to find a gas station or restaurant.

In case I haven't made my point yet, I love this thing. It's very well made, and I can vouch for its waterproofness :P . Shop around online for the best deals - I've seen them offered just under MSRP in mail order catalogs: Amazon usually discounts them significantly in comparison.

After saying all of this I recently got to play with an etrex Vista C. It has the same software as the 60C, but it's smaller, and you can operate it with gloves on a bit more easily than the 60. It's still got that cursed patch antenna, so I would be surprised if it can hold lock as well as the 60. But if you want a more compact unit, this one is worth a look.

HTH

the bad things being mostly about having to almost "ask permission" from Garmin to unlock software. I doubt I will be downloading very much on it, mostly just geocaching.

Unlocking the maps is a very painless procedure. Register with Garmin, enter your customer number from the certificate and bada-bing... you're done! (Save your 25-digit code for future reference - but if you lose it, you can write to Garmin to get the code - they keep it on file). It's such a non-event in life.

Once the maps are unlocked to your GPSr, you can upload maps at will anytime you want.

Is the GPSMAP-60C worth the effort?

I absolutely love my 60C and have had it since Feb 2004. To sum it up, here's what is written as a conclusion for the review on GPSInformation.net:

"WHAT IS OUR OVERALL OPINION OF THE G-60C?

The G-60C is a superior product overall. It provides a complete Car Navigator feature and Hiking GPS features as well as a useful set of Marine navigation features. While it is not as inexpensive as the GPS-5 and some other competitors, we think the color screen is about the best we have seen for out-in-the-sunshine use."

I also love mine and would only consider replacing it with the same or with the upcoming Garmin higher end models. I have never regretted buying top of the line. There are days I take it on my 8 mile drive to work just to watch my progress. After almost 2 years it still fascinates me like a kid!

Edit--I have the CS and won't recommend or dis-recommend that model. It depends what you want in a GPSr. I hunt benchmarks and like having the compass in the unit but it seems I have to calibrate it way too often. And before anyone says anything, yeah, I have a good ol' fashioned compass with me at all times too.

Edited by mloser