Online Coin Collection Inventory Programs

SunshineGang

We have seen www.cointracking.com and just discovered www.thecachingplace.com also has a database.

First question is does anyone know of any others?

What I do not like about cointracking.com is that the makers of a coin have to pay to have a coin listed on cointracking.com :P . So of course cointracking.com will never ever have a complete database of every coin I may have in my collection :D I have yet to figue out to add a coin that is not already in thier database. I am a paying customer so I would like a complete list of all known coins with pictures that I can quickly add to my collection. Not just the coins that someone has Paid to be added to the list. (if I just don't know what I am doing someone please tell me)

It appears Thecachingplace.com lists all coins that they find or are reported to them.

The one thing I don't see on thecachingplace site or cointracking is more detail about each coin. Such as number of coins minted, Mint Dates, Original seller/trader, etc......

Just thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone else has similar opinions.

There at pluses and minuses to both, which is why I use both and will probably pay for both until one surpasses the other.

With cointracking, you can customize your list to add any coin on the fly. That's a huge plus when trying to keep track of what's coming and going. The comments field is also a nice touch. I use this list for inventory control.

With thecachingplace, the ease of adding coins and toggling between lists is excellent. Also the way to see other people's lists and see who has/wants a particular coin is fantastic.

I don't know of any others.

With cointracking, you can add any coin you have and upload a pic to go with it if it's not already listed. This is the one downfall of thecachingplace. Unless I missed it, you can't add coins, just use the ones that are there.

But if you notify them of a new coin, and where the artwork or a picture of the geocoin is, they will add it.

What I'm waiting for is a trading place that does a more "full featured" trading function. I'm probably cruising for a bad rep on some trades. Get busy, drop the ball on a coin now and again. I'd like to see something more like XXXX where you list a coin as available, someone can make an offer for another coin, you accept, and it shows up on a "my trades" page where you can just print off the coins and mailing addresses you need to send them to.

I do okay with my list, but that would be the cat's meow. The only way it'd be better is if that same feature let you print off labels onto an avery template via PDF file or something. Click, print, ship. That would be awesome.

I use cointracking.com and like it a lot. The trading feedback is something I thought would be cool and they just recently added it.

With cointracking, you can add any coin you have and upload a pic to go with it if it's not already listed. This is the one downfall of thecachingplace. Unless I missed it, you can't add coins, just use the ones that are there.

I know it's a pain to not be able to add coins yourself but there is a good reason for it. I also use noth lists but my www.cointracking.com list is not as up to date as my www.thecachingplace.com list. I've noticed on coin tracking that sometimes the same coin is listed mulitple times with slight differences. This is a pain when searching for people with a coin to trade if you posted in one edition and they posted in another. Georgia at the caching place considered opening their site up to allow people to add coins on the fly but then you would end up with the same thing you have on coin tracking and you can't just delete editions once people have posted in them. I have found that if I send Georgia an email of coins (with a link to where the art is posted) she gets them posted pretty quick. In fact I have a list of 4 coins so far I'm sending her today.

I personally prefer the manuvering of TCP better than CT but that's just my opinion. And it's really easy to add notes of who coins are coming/going to.

A feature I would like to see added to TCP though would be to add two more categorys for incoming and outgoing trades that I could move my tradeables to one a trade is confirmed but not mailed because the coins are still in production. I need a fully automated function to print labels but the extra categorys would help a bunch.

What I'm waiting for is a trading place that does a more "full featured" trading function.

I was in the process of writting just such a site when cointrading and thecachingplace popped up. I was going to host mine at my.geocoin.net (not active, so don't try to go there, you'll just get the my main site), but decided to stop what I was doing and try out cointracking and thecachingplace. They went part of the way to what I had intended so I've been kind of lazy about getting off my butt and continuing to do my site. Considering how busy the rest of my life has been lately, I don't see myself doing this any time soon, which means maybe one of the other sites will add the missing features before I get a chance to. :rolleyes:

--Marky

The problem I have with cointracking is that I rolled to another page. I would like to be able to keep my keepers separate. I like the way the caching place does that.

What do you mean by "rolled to another page"? When I look at your trade list, they're all on one page, a very looong page :rolleyes: , but still one page.

With thecachingplace, the ease of adding coins and toggling between lists is excellent. Also the way to see other people's lists and see who has/wants a particular coin is fantastic.

I have to say that I have made a few suggestions for ease of navigating on TheCachingPlace.com trader pages and they have been fantastic in implementing upgrades.

I found it difficult to go from a particular coin to see who had it and what they were looking for and then what I have that they might want. A quick post in their forum and 2 days later they've made an enhancement and I'm easily jumping between seeking and trading lists.

I've also posted a few new coins that I've come across that weren't in their database and they were added within a few hours.

With my dial-up it takes forever to load pictures, so having the option of turning off the coin pictures and only looking at them when I want is a Godsend.

I agree there are pluses and minuses to both. I find in my case TheCachingPlace works better for me.

The problem I have with cointracking is that I rolled to another page.  I would like to be able to keep my keepers separate.  I like the way the caching place does that.

What do you mean by "rolled to another page"? When I look at your trade list, they're all on one page, a very looong page :rolleyes: , but still one page.

My view of my list goes to a second page - and I don't have all my incoming coins on it!