Coin Cost - Need Input!

Evil Chicken

Hi, guys

We have designed our first geocoin set (yeah!). They are oval shaped. I got several quotes from coins and pins and naturally, the larger the coin, the higher the cost.

Personally, I think the 2" coin is nicer than the 1 1/2" - I think a 1 1/2" oval is going to seem really small in comparison to other coins because of the loss of width. However, the cost of the 2" is definitely higher in price.

I'm not sure how to proceed - I loved the price of the Maine coin and I have paid upwards of $10 for some coins, but I hate to ask ppl to pay in that bracket. I can skip the consecutive numbering, but that doesn't bring the cost down a whole heck of a lot.

I guess I am asking - is it worth it to charge a little more to get a bigger coin?

Edited by Evil Chicken

I have an upcoming design that was intended for 2.5" - I was going to call it a Geomedallion. But, the cost was too much, so I settled for 2". Since my designs all have a lot of detail I wouldn't be comfortable having less than 2". But that's the perk about being the artist - I get to set the size :P

2" costs most, but there are other things that push the cost up as well: metal, gold two-tone, edge text, gc-tracking. Pick the combo that best suits you and HAVE FUN!

I've heard that mini's are becoming popular, so maybe < 1" is the wave of the future :D I wonder how much detail I could squeeze on a 1" coin...

I have an upcoming design that was intended for 2.5" - I was going to call it a Geomedallion.  But, the cost was too much, so I settled for 2".  Since my designs all have a lot of detail I wouldn't be comfortable having less than 2".  But that's the perk about being the artist - I get to set the size :D

2" costs most, but there are other things that push the cost up as well: metal, gold two-tone, edge text, gc-tracking.  Pick the combo that best suits you and HAVE FUN!

I've heard that mini's are becoming popular, so maybe < 1" is the wave of the future :)  I wonder how much detail I could squeeze on a 1" coin...

As someone else mentioned there are 2" coins that would have looked a lot better as 1 3/4 or 1 5/8 inch coins (a couple of SW states come to mind). My opinion of course; others will have differing views :D

Tiny coins have their niche. :P

The first thing is that it's your coin and you can do whatever you want.

Now... saying that, a 6" coin showing the location of all the caches in your home state and sells for 4 easy payments of $29.95 will probably get only a few takers (see GAA thread for customers). Most of the coins sold are 1 1/2" (approx) for a reason - that's what people seem to like. As they get bigger or too much of a weird ('scuse me, different) shape, they are harder to display. If they're just in a box, no problem. The New Mexico state coin is at the upper limit of a size that fits in my album.

As far as $$$, once a coin starts costing over $10 (including shipping), I have to really think about purchasing it. I have a few .999 silver coins, but they are exceptions.

For me, a simple, elegant design will always win out over a design that is jam-packed with details. Don't increase the coin size to fit all the design items, reduce the number of items to fit the coin.

Again, it's your coin and you can do what you want, but if you want to sell them, you have to make them desirable to your potential customers.

Edited by Shasties

Thanks to all for your replies!

I am not looking to make huge profits from the coin. While I have paid $10 for a coin (even tho I know it was going to line someone's pocket) because it was the type of coin I happen to collect, I would not do that to anyone else. Not that there is anything wrong with being enterprising and making money - but I want to put these out because I love geo-coins and have enjoyed designing my own. I am looking to keep the coin fairly close to cost + as close to actual shipping cost as I can. I can't say enough about coins and pins, they have been wonderful giving me all kinds of quotes and some helpful design tips.

I have been very interested in your responses to size (guess size does matter :P ) and probably will go with something smaller than the 2" While I never intended for my coin to be as wide as the ND coin, I was interested in the height.

Thanks again, all. I appreciate your input!

If it's a real gold coin you can charge $100 for a 2" coin, but I doubt anyone would buy it. I agree with AG. 1.5 - 1.75" is a normal and most liked coin size, but go with what you want. It is your coin. Don't listen to people who complain about the profit. You figure in a profit by making them $8- $9 each, but it ends up costing you more than you think. Research all the mailers and the cost of shipping outside the US. You'll end up breaking close to even and you'll end up with more headache thatn you thought.

Good luck!

I've been working with a new manufacturer and their prices are great, service has been awesome as well. Their prices beat everyone out there, so far. I'll update you when I get the project finished.

I'd be interested in finding out more about this. Do you have a link to the company?

--Marky

Ok here's a company I'm using for my 2006 coin. They have been great to work with and the prices are great as well. www.chqualitycoins.com

I'll be posting my artwork later this weekend.

There was a thread that got locked due to the belief that the posting above mine was a commercial solicitation by the manufacturer...

Care to address this?