I'm Liking Waymarking More...

Anyone liking Waymarking more than when they first originally heard and saw the idea and concept? I think like wine, it will get better with age.  :laughing:

Only wine of high quality will get better.

Bad wine will be even worse.

Many of the cachers I know did not even open a bottle. I didn't either because I liked the concept of location less caches much.

But absents makes the heart go wander. Either to Waymarking or to a service where LL are still possible or the cachers will find out, that they don't miss anything.

I believe that Waymarking's popularity will slowly build without adding its stats to GC.com.  It doesn't need to become wildly successful overnight.  After all, GC.com didn't.

Yes, but unlike GC, Waymarking has thousands of people already equiped and used to doing things like this.

I don't get your meaning.

I said it before and I'll say it again. If the Waymarking stats become included with geocaching stats, many more geocachers will be involved. People obviously care more about the numbers than they do about the sport/game.

I believe you are correct, and not only for the reason you state. Having the waymark and geocaching stats together will give Waymarking more visibility. If someone clicks on your profile, sees a stat and a link to Waymarking, and clicks over to check it out, that will help Waymarking get started.

There are some people that insist that Waymarking and geocaching are so completely different that they should have absolutely no connections, stat page or otherwise. There are some that insist that starting a separate place for Waymarking was a bad idea all around. Any topic or issue involving change has people on both extremes. I hope that TPTB implement any integration between the two sites with the vast middle ground in mind.

I believe that Waymarking's popularity will slowly build without adding its stats to GC.com.  It doesn't need to become wildly successful overnight.  After all, GC.com didn't.

Yes, but unlike GC, Waymarking has thousands of people already equiped and used to doing things like this.

I don't get your meaning.

I think he just means that geocachers already have most of the knowledge and tools to use the Waymarking site. It is not like starting something totally new, from scratch.

Edited by Cheminer Will

My interest in Waymarking is in marking for others features of interest for enriching family vacations, long drives, and classroom fieldtrips. Historical Americana plus geological features.

Barns (as has been suggested)

Round barns

Antique farm machinery (e.g the ubiquitous if rare roadside threshing machine)

Museums, particularly from pioneer days and antique agriculture.

Old mills

Battlefields

Wayside historical markers.

waterfalls

geologically-interesting rock outcrops

Caves and mines would be interesting, but what of liability?

Unique microclimates/biomes

Many of these have been suggested, of course.

I don't see the point in having the generic 'McDonald's' type waymark, as on virtually any computerized mapping system, whether Microsoft or Google Earth, the large corporate entities will have paid to have them located.

Good 'greasy spoons', B&B's, unusual ethnic restaurants locally owned and operated, though, would be interesting.

I see this as creating a service to enrich the lives of others, just as benchmarking also has practical use.

What is the general feeling on this sort of Waymarking?

I should have added:

People are wondering how to we decide which category and sub-category to put things in.

That is what hypertext was all about. Linking infobits to several appropriate categories, sort of a three-dimensional search structure. That became HTML, which then formed the WWW, which then has been taken over by page-layout concepts, but originally, and still present in HTML, is hypertext.

I agree I am starting to like the 'idea' more and more; I can't say I like IT more yet, as I still haven't logged or created a waymark. But I plan to my next time out.

The two reasons Waymarking has grown on me:

1 - the "Most Popular" link on the Directory Page. This presentation of Waymarking makes it seem much more like locationless caches to me.

2 - the "nearest waymarks" links on cache pages.