Broadband And Christmas Lights?

The Golem

From an electrician's point of view i recon no chance at all that has caused the problem, they are in effect two separate services.

The only connection i can see is at some point BT need a electricity supply for their equipment, but i am sure this always comes via a safety isolating transformer, somethnig totally separate from the electricity supply for houses etc

many thanks for the cache by the way Golem, sure you know what i mean, will be out tomorrow for that :lol:

I look forward to bumping into you sometime, just secured a house in Cockermouth and moving in before New Year, so maybe we should meet up for a few pints sometime

Edited by Team Lakeland

I remember the same story last year. It said that BT recommended turning off christmas lights as a check before sending a technician out to look at problems.

They said it's due to poor earthing / interference from the cheap imported lights which don't meet the full regulations for interference, although I'm sure that all the FCC statements I've read on electronic kit say "This device will not cause interference and should be able to deal with interference from other devices" So maybe BT's BB boxes aren't as well shielded as they perhaps should be?

As far as Christmas lights being environmentally unfriendly, I'm sure that the extra 10 watts or so won't make too much difference to my house for a couple of weeks :P Actually, we should all buy LED lights as they use even less electricity!

Anyone else think some people have gone O.T.T. with their outdoor displays ?

This guy certainly has...

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/daytondailynews/...stmaslights.wmv

This has to be top-of-the-list for "too much time on your hands"? Apparently the guy was broadcasting the music on a low-powered medium wave transmitter in his garage so you could pull up outside his house and tune your car radio in to get the full effect. Genius, but eccentric.

I look forward to bumping into you sometime, just secured a house in Cockermouth and moving in before New Year

Cockermouth eh you will need to secure it there :rolleyes:

Golem is the sad guy parked in his car waiting for daylight parked just past cokermouth school on the left btw......oh no my mistake that was last week, this week it was the sad guy on the left in the dark on whinlatter looking for coins :D

Golem is the sad guy parked in his car waiting for daylight parked just past cokermouth school on the left btw......oh no my mistake that was last week, this week it was the sad guy on the left in the dark on whinlatter looking for coins  :D

I got 'em though... :rolleyes:

(and I couldn't wait for daylight... :lol: )

Edited by The Golem

Golem is the sad guy parked in his car waiting for daylight parked just past cokermouth school on the left btw......oh no my mistake that was last week, this week it was the sad guy on the left in the dark on whinlatter looking for coins  :lol:

I got 'em though... :lol:

(and I couldn't wait for daylight... :rolleyes: )

I will wait till daylight before announcing anything infuture then should i........

anyway is it true you have running water in the village now as well :D

QUOTE (Moote @ Dec 22 2005, 11:39 AM)

Whilst we mention lights, they are hardly environmentally friendly! 

And what about those of us who have our PCs on all day - just so we can give an instant response to a thread? 

Ah ,but the heat generated by the computor heats the inside of the house .

Our base unit is on the floor so the side of it makes a good foot warmer ! :o

Cockermouth eh you will need to secure it there

I dident think Cockermouth had a burgulary problem, or am i reading to much into something here ?

it was a joke i am sure :o

It was one of a few snipes because I was critical of one of scaw's caches. B) My 2 year old daughter stood in one of the big piles of dog pooh that were nearby while looking for it B)

Edited to add - Cockermouth is a lovely place, welcome to Cumbria!!! B)

Edited by The Golem