"Commercial" Posting Guidelines...

I simply wanted people to be able to tell others if they noticed that Buy.com had a good deal on some GPS or something -- such as exlusive rebates and such.

I totally agree & appreciate anyone informing me about it.

I like knowing of a deal be it an individual, retailer, ebay etc.

howdy to all; i am new here. a wet behind the ears geocacher, am looking for a gps unit to use as i am getting tired of good old plan "A" (magic needle and paper).

i also love to fish for crappie and am a member of crappie .com a forum like this. i also belong to several other forums, and when i go lookin' for 'stuff' i look at the for sale part of the site, knowing that when i post my ' where can i find a good ------ (you fill in the blanks) i can usually get several go here or try there answers. can not emphisze how much money that i have been able to save over the years. these are PEOPLE HELPING OTHER PEOPLE,

when i see people walking around with thier butt cheeks pressed so tightly to gather when some one asks why can't we mearly help another then i feel like they have something going on, on the side that they don't want the general publick to know about. Sorry, but that's the impression that i get. strike this if you want it will only reinforce my thinking.

respectfully; hank hoyt new member and not sure if i still want to be a member. please convince me that i should remain a member, please.

howdy to all; i am new here. a wet behind the ears geocacher, am looking for a gps unit to use as i am getting tired of good old plan "A" (magic needle and paper).

i also love to fish for crappie and am a member of crappie .com a forum like this. i also belong to several other forums, and when i go lookin' for 'stuff' i look at the for sale part of the site, knowing that when i post my ' where can i find a good ------ (you fill in the blanks) i can usually get several go here or try there answers. can not emphisze how much money that i have been able to save over the years. these are PEOPLE HELPING OTHER PEOPLE,

when i see people walking around with thier butt cheeks pressed so tightly to gather when some one asks why can't we mearly help another then i feel like they have something going on, on the side that they don't want the general publick to know about. Sorry, but that's the impression that i get. strike this if you want it will only reinforce my thinking.

respectfully; hank hoyt new member and not sure if i still want to be a member. please convince me that i should remain a member, please.

Hey,

Welcome to OUR world - hope you decide to stay.

Please realize, although there are many factors involved in this particular thread (threads often stir up other issues/cans of worms in your language) - the main idea are the RULES, our interpretations of them. their limitations and how they affect (ultimately), what your interest is - TO HELP EACH OTHER.

But along these lines, IN MY OPINION - we shouldn't help the greedy monopolizing BILL GATES of the world get a further stranglehold on us by promoting THEM here - there has to be a defined line clarified between the two.......... you can agree with this I'm sure.

Thats MY take on this - which anyone can TAKE or LEAVE....

Also realize, you said you've saved $$$$ in forums like this ..... but what about the people who SELL used merchandise overpriced in the very same forums / arenas????

That happens.... & it burns ME up :D ...

So, where do we draw the line? I don't know - its 216 shades of gray............

Hey,

Please realize, although there are many factors involved in this particular thread (threads often stir up other issues/cans of worms in your language) - the main idea are the RULES, our interpretations of them. their limitations and how they affect (ultimately), what your interest is - TO HELP EACH OTHER.

But along these lines, IN MY OPINION - we shouldn't help the greedy monopolizing BILL GATES of the world get a further stranglehold on us by promoting THEM here - there has to be a defined line clarified between the two.......... you can agree with this I'm sure.

Also realize, you said you've saved $$$$ in forums like this ..... but what about the people who SELL used merchandise overpriced in the very same forums / arenas????

That happens.... & it burns ME up ;) ...

So, where do we draw the line? I don't know - its 216 shades of gray............

OK, I'll get the hang of this here shortly.

Well, here goes, vfrpilot, I like the way that you welcome me to YOUR WORLD, and that if things get stirred-up it's, in my language, a can of wormes, may I from those two statements gather that you feel that i may be stepping up into a newer level of society(?), that I might soil your pretty little 'world'. If so, Ifeel sorry for you as you by your nom de plume discribe your self as one that only flies when only the Visual Flight Rules are in effect. Therefore when you are able to touch your feet to the ground once again rather than remaining with your feet firmly anchored in the clouds, you might relize that, yes i do like to get a good deal, i do not care for those people that want to 'gouge' (as in price gouge) someone else because they feel that they should get thier money back in full, maybe with a small bit of profet. Not good in my book of values. Yes i do agree that a business should not post on a GarageSale forum, maybe they should have thier own forum.

Yea tho I walk through the valley of gloom, and dispair, I only seek a good deal, protect us from those that are trying to maximise the out flow from our pockets, only to create a maximum of cushening in thier own, also protect us from those that feel compelled to protect us from them also. I relise that I am a mature adult and goof-up occasionaly, that is the nature of the human species. Without the ability to make mistakes then we have no need to learn as everything would be perfect.

vfrpilot, by the two comments that i pointed out, about four years ago, they allow me to create the mental picture of you as a liberal, elitest, snob. my opinion. have a nice day. Hankaye.

Edited by hankaye

Hey,

That happens.... & it burns ME up :blink: ...

OK, I'll get the hang of this here shortly.

Well, here goes, vfrpilot, I like the way that you welcome me to YOUR WORLD, and that if things get stirred-up it's, in my language, a can of wormes, may I from those two statements gather that you feel that i may be stepping up into a newer level of society(?), that I might soil your pretty little 'world'. If so, Ifeel sorry for you as you by your nom de plume discribe your self as one that only flies when only the Visual Flight Rules are in effect. Therefore when you are able to touch your feet to the ground once again rather than remaining with your feet firmly anchored in the clouds, you might relize that, yes i do like to get a good deal, i do not care for those people that want to 'gouge' (as in price gouge) someone else because they feel that they should get thier money back in full, maybe with a small bit of profet. Not good in my book of values. Yes i do agree that a business should not post on a GarageSale forum, maybe they should have thier own forum.

Yea tho I walk through the valley of gloom, and dispair, I only seek a good deal, protect us from those that are trying to maximise the out flow from our pockets, only to create a maximum of cushening in thier own, also protect us from those that feel compelled to protect us from them also. I relise that I am a mature adult and goof-up occasionaly, that is the nature of the human species. Without the ability to make mistakes then we have no need to learn as everything would be perfect.

vfrpilot, by the two comments that i pointed out, about four years ago, they allow me to create the mental picture of you as a liberal, elitest, snob. my opinion. have a nice day. Hankaye.

You totally mis-interpreted my reply - and by the tone of your response, I will not entertain any of your inacurate accusations or implications in reference to my reply.

I should have know better in the 1st place.

Have a nice day. :D

edited for spelling

Edited by vfrpilot

I normally don't jump in and, will not be in this thread again, however felt compeled to now.

With luck, an admin will lock this thread.

vfrpilot was responding with his opinion to your question. He made no personal attacks on either you or your position, just stated his understanding as to why the rule is in place. He even made a comment that they were his opinion and anyone reading could take them or leave them.

I would like to see the rule eased up a little as well, however it is in place and until it changes has to be abided by.

Your attack in the line quoted was unnecessary and very childish. Judging from this response, I, personally, truly do hope should you choose to take advantage of membership here, you use the forums..

vfrpilot was responding with his opinion to your question. He made no personal attacks on either you or your position, just stated his understanding as to why the rule is in place. He even made a comment that they were his opinion and anyone reading could take them or leave them.

Thanks baloo&bd.

With luck, an admin will lock this thread.

I hope not. I created it for a reason -- and it still hasn't been answered yet. It basically went off over in the General forum and, when I last heard about it, the "powers that be" were still thinking over how to handle things. I never heard anything after that and it has been weeks and weeks now. This isn't resolved -- so I certainly hope that it isn't locked by an admin just because two people got a little rowdy...

To be fair, I can easily see how vfrpilot's first response was taken wrong. When someone says "Welcome to OUR world", I could easily see how the other guy could take that as "high and mighty" talk and be a bit offended. That's exactly what happened.

vfrpilot later said that his statement was mis-interpretted or taken wrong -- so it is good that he didn't mean it that way -- but, again, I could certainly see it being taken that way.

So, I think we should just call it a "misunderstanding" and let it go... I can see where both sides were coming from -- and how both sides could get the "wrong idea."

I would like to see the rule eased up a little as well, however it is in place and until it changes has to be abided by.

As has been discussed, the rule isn't completely clear as far as INTENT. That is why they were going to look into it. Do we really want to stop everyone from going "Hey! 60CSXes are being given away for free with each loaf of bread purchase at Kroger!"? If there is a deal, I want to hear about it.

Your attack in the line quoted was unnecessary and very childish.

He simply took the "Welcome to OUR world" line as a bit of an attack -- or at least some "attitude" -- and I can easily see how he did that. It is often very tough to tell "attitude" via the typed word...

- John...

John,

He simply took the "Welcome to OUR world" line as a bit of an attack -- or at least some "attitude" -- and I can easily see how he did that. It is often very tough to tell "attitude" via the typed word...

I'm open minded enough to buy that - if the rest of my message followed suit - it didn't.

As baloo&bd said: who looked at this as a 3rd party observer & obviously unbiased either way

Thank you though John, for seeing the bigger picture & taking the time to share it & clarify things.

which was My intention in the 1st place to merely clarify.... because if you go back & re-read hankaye's original post, we can all agree it required clarification as to:

1. The post's initial intention

2. The fact that we are are not judgemental

3. And we DO help each other (Admins included)

=============

I mean c'mon: his/her sentance read:

hank hoyt new member and not sure if i still want to be a member. please convince me that i should remain a member

If that doesn't require clarification (to encourage he/she to stay a member), what does?

I think this is a little more than my capitalizing the word "OUR" -

my goodness, what happens the next time I put something in bold or italics????? or color????

My anaolgy may seem extreme here, but c'mon...

the person seemed unsure about us (I didn't capitalize that) (I'm just kidding)

So I did my best to clarify that our forums have good, sharing intentions - which I'm sure most of us agree on & thats probably why many other members aren't even entertaining this thread in the 1st place.

Enough said, I'm off my soapbox now :tired: - - like I said, I should have known better.

John, Thank you again

-Frank

Edited by vfrpilot

Howdy to all;

I've got to admitt that i do have abit of a temper at times, sorry about that. It was not so much of the one comment but the subtel left/right combo of the 'OUR WORLD' and the "(threads often stir up other issues/can of worms in your language)" that lit the bottle rocket off in my skivey shorts. That said, I'm sorry if I ofended any one out there.

I also want to say thanks for the pm on the garmin V. That was kind in light of what was going on at the time. Think I'll just kick back and read awhile. Thanks Hankaye

1. Hankaye, you've had your one free bite at the apple. Welcome to our forums, but please take a moment to read the Forum Guidelines that are linked to at the top left corner of every page. Name calling and personal attacks are not permitted here. As you've calmed down, that gets you your free bite.

2. The Moderating Team and Groundspeak are still working on a revised and clarified set of guidelines regarding commercial posting. We did get the new Geocoin Forum policy rolled out, but the demands of competing priorities have impeded progress on this related project. Sorry for the delay.

Threads discussing which online store or brick & mortar store has the best selection, prices, etc. are arguably on topic in the GPS Units and Software Forum. As part of the coordinated discussion of this issue just mentioned by CO Admin, we have posed this question to Groundspeak for clarification under the "commercial" section of the Forum Guidelines. But it is fairly clear that such discussions are not related to the "personal selling or giving away of geocaching related items," which is the subject of the GPS Garage Sale Forum.

I think bogleman's post has it right.

I'd like to toss another log on the fire here ... If no "obviously commercial" plugs are allowed, nor any recommendations for new equipment at good prices by cachers, then I hope that the Moderator(s) is/are also looking at handles they don't recognize and booting posts by brand spanking new cachers that have never found nor hidden a cache, and will never be heard from again after they sell their booty here.

I have purposely avoided a few offers on this forum in the last couple of months that sounded a bit funny, then when I looked at the profile of the poster, they had never done anything on the website. It's a new method of "spamming" us ... like the "new member" of your yahoo group who comes in and says "HEY LOOK WHAT I FOUND, THERE'S A GREAT DEAL HERE!! They can't get to you through your inbox any more so they are using email lists and forums.

I know a legitimate post might accidentally get locked on occasion if this kind of monitoring is going on, but I doubt that the illegitimate ones would ever complain while the real newbie user would definitely raise a stink. :unsure:

Moosiegirl, you make an excellent observation, and I can assure you that brand new posters are scrutinized extra carefully when they're proposing to sell something in the forums, especially if they sound more experienced than their profile would suggest. There's no outright rule, though, other than the 24 hour waiting period before a new account may post in the forums.

If at any time a post doesn't look quite right to you, don't hesitate to use the "report this post" feature to bring it to the attention of the moderator team.