"Commercial" Posting Guidelines...

I guess I have some questions about this policy since a couple of topics that I felt were very beneficial to others were just closed.

The policy appears to be this:

"Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include limited commercial content in this Forum, in its sole discretion."

My interpretation of that was that people posting commercial listings for their own companies cannot post here. In other words, some guy from the Sports Authority can't come in here and post that they have stuff for sale.

However, I saw no problem with just general users kindly pointing people toward good deals online if they are not otherwise part of that company. Isn't that a GOOD thing? I mean, if someone posts that they are looking for a new eTrex whatever, shouldn't people be able to reply and say "Hey -- the Sports Authority has those on sale for $blah.blah this week!"

Similarly, if buy.com has a big sale going on, shouldn't everyday users (not from buy.com making a "commercial" post) be able to mention it here for others that are interested?

Someone telling someone about such deals, in my opinion, is not an "attempt to solicit customers". It's just an attempt to let someone know about a deal. The guy that posted that Sports Authority was having a sale last week wasn't really "attempting to solicit customers", was he? That just seems too literal an interpretation of that rule -- was that the real intent of it?

It just seems that closing any thread mentioning a sale or deal at some commercial company is NOT the intent of the "no commercial postings" policy. Can we get some clarification on that? I think NOT being able to mention deals and such for other users here is a very bad way to go. I've seen lots of people thanking others within the last few weeks for finding deals at Sports Authority, Amazon, and numerous other places that happened to be having sales on GPRrs recently. Why/how is that a bad thing?

Thanks!

- John...

Edited by Team Chevelle
My interpretation of that was that people posting commercial listings for their own companies cannot post here. In other words, some guy from the Sports Authority can't come in here and post that they have stuff for sale.

However, I saw no problem with just general users kindly pointing people toward good deals online if they are not otherwise part of that company. Isn't that a GOOD thing? I mean, if someone posts that they are looking for a new eTrex whatever, shouldn't people be able to reply and say "Hey -- the Sports Authority has those on sale for $blah.blah this week!"

I agree...that seems reasonable enough, and I'd interpret the policy the same way John.

Dave

Edited by canadave

Similarly, if buy.com has a big sale going on, shouldn't everyday users (not from buy.com making a "commercial" post) be able to mention it here for others that are interested?

Someone telling someone about such deals, in my opinion, is not an "attempt to solicit customers". It's just an attempt to let someone know about a deal. ...

I agree mostly with what your saying, but I don't see how anyone can ever cleanly define a seperation between, someone solicting for a company (bad) from someone soliciting for a company (good). It seems common that links and 'hey they have a deal this week' get posted, if a bunch of commerical stuff shows up and/or a MOD notices (or gets a report??) they'll get closed, so what? Basically it comes down to the MOD has final say about it, if you think their unfair report them to Groundspeak.

Selective quotation works wonders when constructing an argument.

What's unclear about this, which is also in the posting guidelines but not quoted in your post:

This forum is intended only for personal selling or giving away of geocaching related items.

But in this forums common use I've seen many, many posts/threads, like the ones that were closed, that have had nothing done to them. Indeed, as we speak there are at least 3 of the same type thread still open. If this is a crackdown on that type of thread, all well and good, it's nice to know. I however see no problem with them as people are asking for that type of info alot it seems.

What's unclear about this, which is also in the posting guidelines but not quoted in your post:

This forum is intended only for personal selling or giving away of geocaching related items.

Hmmmm....sorry about that, I didn't even notice this until you pointed it out. However, I still think it just comes down to the "spirit" of the guidelines (and note, it's called "guidelines," not "hard and fast rules") vs. the "letter" of the guidelines.

I think the *intent* of that particular line is meant to emphasize that this forum isn't for companies to come in and advertise their GPS wares. I'd have a hard time believing that the person who wrote that meant for it to be applied to individuals who are trying to help other people out by pointing them to a current sale or a low price at a particular store.

As you say, however, the problem fundamentally lies in the unclarity of the guidelines. Nowhere is it explicitly said that this type of "helping" is or is not allowed. Perhaps a modification of said guidelines might be in order here.

Dave

But in this forums common use I've seen many, many posts/threads, like the ones that were closed, that have had nothing done to them. Indeed, as we speak there are at least 3 of the same type thread still open. If this is a crackdown on that type of thread, all well and good, it's nice to know.

Yes I guess you could call it a crackdown. I just didn't feel it was necessary to close and bump 45 threads to the top of the list. Closing 2 got the point across :lol:

But in this forums common use I've seen many, many posts/threads, like the ones that were closed, that have had nothing done to them. Indeed, as we speak there are at least 3 of the same type thread still open. If this is a crackdown on that type of thread, all well and good, it's nice to know.

Yes I guess you could call it a crackdown. I just didn't feel it was necessary to close and bump 45 threads to the top of the list. Closing 2 got the point across :lol:

Good enough. Thanks for the heads up. :lol:

Hemlock:

So, just to clarify, are you saying that posts from people who are trying to help other folks by pointing out sales or whatnot, are not allowed? If so, I respectfully suggest that the pinned guidelines be amended to make that perfectly clear, as their intent is unclear as it stands right now.

Cheers,

Dave

What is unclear about "This forum is intended only for personal selling or giving away of geocaching related items. No company or business postings/advertising are allowed" ?

It doesn't say "no business posting allowed except when posted by an individual." It says "no business postings allowed." Period.

Seems perfectly clear to me :lol:

What's unclear is the words "business posting." If Amazon is selling brand-new Legend-C units for $25, and someone here posts a message saying "Hey guys, you'll never believe the sale I just saw while browsing on Amazon! Check it out HERE", I don't see how that's a "business posting," and I don't see what's wrong with that. Unless you're saying that type of post is simply not what the Garage Sale forum is for, and such a posting belongs in a different forum? If so, then that needs to be made clearer. Perhaps have a "Hot GPS Deals" subforum? :lol:

On the other hand, if someone from Amazon were to post here and say, "Now on sale! Legend C for $25 at Amazon!", or if someone were to post "Buy GPS's from my Internet storefront at AMAZING PRICES!!", then clearly those are business postings, and I suppose you would delete them (quite rightly, I might add).

The way I read the guideline you quoted (and again, if they're going to be strictly enforced, I think they should be termed something other than "guidelines"), it seems to say to me that anything having to do with someone selling their GPS as part of a business, as opposed to a one-on-one one-time transaction, is restricted (which is as it should be). It says nothing about alerting fellow members of this forum to sales or deals that we encounter.

But hey, it's up to you guys....I just roam around with a GPS and find trinkets :lol:

Cheers,

Dave

I would have to agree. People that are trying to buy a new unit are the ones geting the benifit from the threads. Not the people that are posting the threads unless it were a buisness poasting the threads which I think should not be allowed. but trying to find the best price and asking for advice on a place to buy for a good price and having someone give you a link is not a business trying to sell more goods. That would be like saying you are unable to tell people if the unit type yopu have woorks great as that my increase the sale of that unit.

I would and have been offended by someone posting HERE against a gadget that I am trying to sell. Everyone here is a smart shopper and they know a good deal when they see one. This thread is not a primary thread for buying GPS related gadgets it is geocachers trying to sell to geocachers. This would be the last place I would look if I knew nothing about geocaching and was looking to buy a GPS. If you see that someone is trying to sell a gadget at what YOU feel has too high price send them a PM rather than post a message to the thread - it's like you just slapped them in the face and directly insulted them for everyone to see - your price stinks, here is a link for a better price (oh by the way it's to my website). If I am trying to sell something I feel there should be the original post and then everything else done behind closed doors - when the deal is done the thread is locked.

This thread is not a primary thread for buying GPS related gadgets it is geocachers trying to sell to geocachers.

Fair enough...in that case, why not just set up the guidelines for posting in this subforum so that posts are limited to a single advertisement on the part of the geocacher; at which point the topic should be locked, and further conversation should be private emails/messages between interested geocacher buyers and the geocacher seller.

This thread seems to be a moot point. I have for years seen all kinds of postings for various items. It is either someone wanting to sell something or someone pointing to a link to sell something. I see no harm in passing on a link for an item that is on sale, but I don't think that said business should plug their products here. I also think Ebay links should be banned since they get money off the top of the final sale price. :P

Sorry, just to be clear -- I quoted what was quoted by the Moderator that closed the topics I was referring to. I wasn't trying to "selectively quote" anything -- I was just requoting what he used when he closed the threads.

And, yes, this forum is for personal selling -- but when someone posts that they are looking to buy something, I don't think it should be a problem to tell them a good place online to do so.

That being said, I'd be for changing the rule, actually -- to explicitly allow the posting of good deals on buying one new. I don't see much good reasoning to allow personal posts with lame prices, but not good deals on new equipment. *shrug*

- John...

This thread seems to be a moot point. I have for years seen all kinds of postings for various items. It is either someone wanting to sell something or someone pointing to a link to sell something. I see no harm in passing on a link for an item that is on sale, but I don't think that said business should plug their products here.

Yes, but I guess my problem is exactly that: it appears that the rules (ok, "guidelines"), as interpretted by the Mod here, at least -- do NOT allow such things.

That's why I started this thread -- to try to hash that out a bit. Instead, the Mod has simply replied to this thread and indicated that it seems clear to him, so that is it. Not the "discussion" that I was hoping for.

So, people saying that it goes on all the time anyhow doesn't really help any. If it is going on and people want it, then the Mods should discuss the possibility of changing the guidelines -- instead of just saying "nope, it is already clear and not allowed" and then having others go "but we do it anyhow and it seems fine."

That's the problem, IMO.

- John...

Edited by Team Chevelle
This thread seems to be a moot point. I have for years seen all kinds of postings for various items. It is either someone wanting to sell something or someone pointing to a link to sell something. I see no harm in passing on a link for an item that is on sale, but I don't think that said business should plug their products here.

Yes, but I guess my problem is exactly that: it appears that the rules (ok, "guidelines"), as interpretted by the Mod here, at least -- do NOT allow such things.

<snip>

- John...

This is not one mod making a judgment. This was discussed with Groundspeak and the decision was made on how to handle this. The moderator of this forum is following directions given to him not making things up as he goes along.

Also please consider this part of the guideline for commercial postings

Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted

"(either intentional or non-intentional)" pretty much sums it up. Don't do it and you are fine. Post such information and expect the forum moderator to take a look at it and handle it as he has been instructed. If you have a problem with the guideline please email contact@geocaching.com

Edited by CO Admin

Threads discussing which online store or brick & mortar store has the best selection, prices, etc. are arguably on topic in the GPS Units and Software Forum. As part of the coordinated discussion of this issue just mentioned by CO Admin, we have posed this question to Groundspeak for clarification under the "commercial" section of the Forum Guidelines. But it is fairly clear that such discussions are not related to the "personal selling or giving away of geocaching related items," which is the subject of the GPS Garage Sale Forum.

I think bogleman's post has it right.

Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted

"(either intentional or non-intentional)" pretty much sums it up. Don't do it and you are fine. Post such information and expect the forum moderator to take a look at it and handle it as he has been instructed. If you have a problem with the guideline please email contact@geocaching.com

CO Admin...I understand that the mods have the final say; and believe me, I'm not trying to be argumentative. But it sounds to me like the mods aren't aware how confusing these guidelines are; and the reason the guidelines are confusing is because the words are not precise. What is "commercial content"? To me, that means "content that's posted to solicit business on the part of a company or a store"; it doesn't mean a post by some individual trying to "help a GPS brother out" by pointing him to a low price he saw recently at a store.

Besides, the phrase "attempt to solicit customers" would seem to contradict your argument. An individual who posts a low price he's seen at Amazon as a heads-up to someone who's thinking of buying a particular unit isn't "attempting to solicit customers", either intentionally or unintentionally (unless the poster happens to work for Amazon)---wouldn't you agree?

The guideline is too vague. It's like having a guideline saying "Don't post garbage." What does that really mean? Does "garbage" mean political posts? Does it mean off-topic? Does it mean gibberish characters?

I think I understand the intent of the guidelines better now--they're meant to prevent any posts other than an individual offering his GPS for sale to other individuals here, right? But if that's the case, then as I said earlier, a single post advertising the unit should all that's allowed, and then the thread should be locked and further correspondence should be limited to private email. That way it's cut and dried, and no vagueness or misunderstanding.

Whatever it is, it is....I just wish it were spelled out more precisely :P

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by canadave
This is not one mod making a judgment. This was discussed with Groundspeak and the decision was made on how to handle this. The moderator of this forum is following directions given to him not making things up as he goes along.

I didn't at all mean to suggest that this was a Mod making things up. I said that the guidelines were open to interpretation and that some clarification -- or even changes -- might be in order.

Why is it always so difficult for people here to consider even DISCUSSING these things without feeling so defensive?

"(either intentional or non-intentional)" pretty much sums it up. Don't do it and you are fine.

This is a perfect example of what I am talking about. You are focusing on the "either intentional or non-intentional" part of that. I don't think it "pretty much sums it up" because I also read the next few words and mentioned this specifically above -- the part of "attempt to solicit customers." Me letting someone know that there is a deal at Sports Authority isn't really an attempt by me to "solicit customers" for them. I'm just making a polite suggestion -- if they happen to go there, fine -- I really don't care either way. I'm not trying to solicit customers for Sports Authority by making such suggestions.

THAT is what I'm talking about -- THAT is what I'm referring to when I say that a Mod might read it differently than a user here. Others have agreed with me on that -- realizing that I'm not "soliciting customers." Or at least considering that one might assume that, when the guideline was written, the INTENT was to prevent people from the Sports Authority from coming in here and "soliciting customers." I agree that would be a good guideline -- but it seems that you obviously meant more than that, correct? That is why I wanted to discuss it.

If you have a problem with the guideline please email contact@geocaching.com

Again, this comes up often -- I see it as a fairly common "end of discussion" thing from the Mods here. Why are we not allowed to discuss possible guideline interpretations or even maybe discussion potential suggestions for change in the forums here? Instead, such discussions always seem to be shut down and then directed to the "contact" email. I don't want to just discuss it with the Mods -- I want to get the input of other USERS here. Why is that always such a big fear of those in control here?

It isn't a "moot point."

- John...

Edited by Team Chevelle

Also, I thought of one other question that I need clarification on. The guidelines seem specific to THIS forum. I see no such guideliness on "GPS Units and Software" which says it is for "any and all discussions about GPS units." Does that mean that if people make posts in there that Sports Authority has the Legend C on sale, that that is fine? But doing it here in the Sale forum where people might actually LOOK for such information is against the rules? That seems a bit backwards to me.

What about if someone from the Sports Authority actually showed up and tried to "solicit customers" directly? Can they do that in other forums, but not here? If not (due to other rules elsewhere), then why do we have additional guidelines here?

I certainly don't want people from Sports Authority doing that -- so please don't get me wrong. I just think that there are some issues to be clarified here -- and a healthy discussion should help with that.

That being said, I am serious about the first paragraph above. I really do want to know if telling people that there might be a sale at some store is allowed in "GPS Units and Software". If so, then it seems backwards to me and not the original intent of the Sale forum and the guidelines for it. If not, then why not? Does some other overall forum rule apply instead?

Thank you.

- John...

This is my first post. I've been reading these forums for a couple of months, gathering most of my knowledge of this new and fasicinating sport from this forum and GPS Units and Software. I never knew anything about Geocaching before looking at this site and reading all the knowledge given by its community. This WAS the first place I looked to find out more. I now can tell a good price from a bad one and where to get better prices from online venders I never heard of before I came here. Thanks to all of you for that.

I would hope that there is a place that a newbie could learn about prices, because it IS an awfully expsensive sport to get into.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out a newbie.

-barbara

Edited by lightforms

I would think it would be possible to make a "hot deals" section. You've got a section for selling person to person and a section to discuss gps devices but none specifically for good online and B&M prices. I follow many "hot deal" forums and I specifically come to this site 1. learn about the new and existing units and b. look for deals. This would probably satisfy every ones wishes.

personal opinion to follow if you don't agree that's okay but flames hurt my feelings!

We all need to remember that geocaching.com is a for profit business. we pay dues (premium memberships) and the website has advertisers. I would assume that some of the untalked about dischord about listing places and prices may be caused by the fact that they are not always refering to the paying advertiser. I personally see no fault with this. Remember It is the advertisers as well as the premium members who buy new servers pay the saleries etc, and make geocaching.com the best caching website I have come across. Thanks to all at the head office (and remote locations) for doing a great job.

I am inclined to agree that it is nice to see best pricing available at .... but remember those links are time sensitive and really only valuable for the time that they are linked.

bwmick

Does this include mentioning any company selling anything related to caching? I have found great prices on ammo cans, boots, backpacks, and swag on these forums. I would really hate to think that this sort of information would no longer be allowed. :o

Jackie

Edited by Geo Froggy

I don't want this thread to just get forgotten as often happens with such things. When a Mod has a chance, can they give me some information on my question (the first paragraph in my post from "Dec 23 2005, 11:57 AM")? I seriously am quite curious about the policy on such things. Basically, can people post deals/specials in the non "GPS Garage Sale" forums? If Sports Authority has 60CS units for half price -- I want people to be able to tell me.

- John...

Also, I thought of one other question that I need clarification on.  The guidelines seem specific to THIS forum.  I see no such guideliness on "GPS Units and Software" which says it is for "any and all discussions about GPS units."

The Groundspeak Forum Guidelines apply to all sections of the forums.

Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include limited commercial content in this Forum, in its sole discretion.
I don't want this thread to just get forgotten as often happens with such things. When a Mod has a chance, can they give me some information on my question (the first paragraph in my post from "Dec 23 2005, 11:57 AM")? I seriously am quite curious about the policy on such things. Basically, can people post deals/specials in the non "GPS Garage Sale" forums? If Sports Authority has 60CS units for half price -- I want people to be able to tell me.

- John...

Hello,

Let me re-direct you to my previous post in this thread. Discussions with Groundspeak are ongoing. It would be premature to give you an answer. Meanwhile, we continue to monitor this thread and a similar one in the General Geocaching Topics Forum. It is very helpful to hear questions like the one that you asked, and also to hear people's opinions on what ought to be acceptable vs. unacceptable under the "no commercial posting" guideline.

Please let me know how this policy affects those active geocachers who also sell geocaching related items.  Is it OK to offer items for sale to fellow geocachers?  Is it OK to post a link to your own page that sells geocaching-related stuff?

If it's anything beyond a one-time sale, like if you're selling t-shirts or other swag, you need to get permission from Groundspeak to advertise it. Looking through the threads on the first page of posts in this section, I see at least two threads that do have explicit permission. So don't be afraid to ask. It's not that Groundspeak is entirely against advertising, they just want to control who gets free advertising on their site.

Edit to add don't ask me or post here asking for permission to post :D Send an email to contact at Groundspeak dot com.

Edited by Hemlock

Not to add fuel to the fire, but rather clarification.... If someone asks for something specific, say an oddly configured cable, and someone posts a commercial link as to where to get said cable, is that not allowed? I see plenty of posts for that type of thing. But if that's not allowed, how does someone find these odd items. If it is allowed, isn't that going against the guidelines?

Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable.

Does that mean no more "need a GPS or laptop or whatever for my Girl/Boy Scout Troop, Church Group, Kindergarten Class, etc"? Because even if these groups are willing to pay for such item, the mere fact that they are mentioning Girl/Boy Scout Troop, Church Group, Kindergarten Class, etc. is implying that they would like a price break because of that affiliation, thus soliciting charity.

So, are we only allowing solicitations from people with no group affiliations mentioned and not allowing people to request where they might find something they can't get elsewhere?

No company or business postings/advertising are allowed.

Just another thought as I was hopping around the forums.... Does this mean that posting the Garmin or Magellan website link in answer to someone's question about a particular unit is a no no since that would be considered a "commercial posting"? Could we tell someone to goto the Garmin site but not provide the link? Could we or could we not tell someone that "Cabella's sells that ...." but not provide the link. Is there really any difference?

Seems like we are getting into dangerous waters here............

Again, just trying to get some clarification..

Edited by Crusso

this has been verry interesting but i would hope there is a place here where someone could go to get an UNbiased opinion / price on a new item like say i was looking for a new garmin gps v id hope i could post that Somewhere? and someone would know of a good place (cheap) to get it even thoug id probably go up to like 2-4 dollars more at an advertisers place if they give a kickback to ground speak

edit mor than the cheapest price found

Edited by kb9vgr

Did anything ever come of this? I guess I've been waiting for some official decisions to be made. Can we post links to sales online for people? If so, where exactly would be appropriate? Or are the powers that be still thinking this over? Thanks!

Also, there was a thread in a more "General" area about this, but now I can't find the link to it nor locate it manually. Maybe there is more info there? Anyone have a link to it if so? Thanks!

- John...

Interesting thread; I'm of the opinion that a 'hot deals' thread is a good idea, but how can you monitor that the actual post is a 'geocacher' simply performing an altruistic act by posting a lead to a cheap GPSr or similar? In other words, whats to prevent a business owner or affiliate to sign up in the forum as a regular user and post 'hey I found a good deal over at...' once a week or so? What's to keep the same people from sending a PM to select users trying to find a good deal?

Regarding eBay links, I think folks wanting to sell on eBay should do so, and not provide a link to their sale. If you want to sell to users on the forum, do so and don't simply advertise your eBay auction hoping to gain more bids. It is, IMHO, a commercial advertisement.

Interesting thread; I'm of the opinion that a 'hot deals' thread is a good idea, but how can you monitor that the actual post is a 'geocacher' simply performing an altruistic act by posting a lead to a cheap GPSr or similar? In other words, whats to prevent a business owner or affiliate to sign up in the forum as a regular user and post 'hey I found a good deal over at...' once a week or so? What's to keep the same people from sending a PM to select users trying to find a good deal?

Regarding eBay links, I think folks wanting to sell on eBay should do so, and not provide a link to their sale. If you want to sell to users on the forum, do so and don't simply advertise your eBay auction hoping to gain more bids. It is, IMHO, a commercial advertisement.

Blang,

You raise a good point. I suppose that any retailer could get on the forum as a regular user and pitch his "deals". It seems like a retailer would have alot more to do to run his business then try to catch a few of us unsuspecting, protected from the rules, folks. I'm not to sure that it would happen very often if at all, but ya never know it might. Then we would all be soiled :P It just seems like the bottom line is that...we are all looking to save a buck or two. If you know of a good deal somewhere and I was in the market, I would Love to hear about it. I don't see to much harm in that. But, I would have to see your ID, run it through the BBB and be sure that you aren't really a retailer in Disquise. :) I'm OK with hearing about a good deal anyway that I can.

Segerguy>

You're absolutely right! And I agree that if someone knows of a good deal on something, I want to know about it. I just don't know that the rules can be made any better than they already are, without someone to police all activity and ensure that 'neighborly advice' is just that.

Grew tired after reading 3/4 of these posts -

My 2 cents:

Any link to an Ebay item is just "plugging" Ebay.

Totally true, period.

With regard to selling something (here) at a higher than market bearing price...

Yes, a PM is the appropriate way to communicate this to the Unsuspecting Seller.... :lol:

Be advised tho, IMO; there is nothing wrong with being alerted when you do this -

I am a man of character and if something happens in my presence which I feel is unjust , I will speak on it & continue to do so each & every time until my ability or right to do so no longer exists.

If more people stepped in when they noticed something "wasn't right", there would be alot less suffering and consequences in the world.

Just to be clear though, this thread wasn't really about EBay items nor alerting people about market price. It was about simply posting a link when a legit store has a sale. Now, at times, that may happen when telling someone that they are asking too much -- but that is more of a secondary issue. I simply wanted people to be able to tell others if they noticed that Buy.com had a good deal on some GPS or something -- such as exlusive rebates and such.

- John...