Southern Illinois Geocaches Up For Adoption

rdw

I have graduated from SIU and will be moving soon. I hope someone will take over the responsibility for the cahces so that they may remain active.

The first is Fountain Bluff #1 in southwestern Jackson county. On Fountain Bluff, obviously. This cache is very low maintenance because of its location and difficulty. It gets few visitors for this reason. The chance of accidental finds is about as low as possible. Before transferring ownership, I will retrieve the camera, get the pictures developed, and post them. I will also move the linked images from my personal website to the geocaching site and update the page accordingly. Before you accept responsibilty for this cache, please be sure you can make the hike to the cache. 30-45 minutes each way with lots of hills.

The second is The BIG Confluence Cache at Fort Defiance State Park south of Cairo. This one is more maintenance heavy. As the cache page notes, this is a flood prone area. Though the current setup should keep it in place, there is a chance the cache could be washed away by the river. It may need to survive weeks underwater. If it wasn't sealed well by the last cacher, that means replacing the contents. Having said that, I haven't had to fix it very often.

Before transfering these caches, or shortly after, I will check them both one last time to make sure they are in good condition. Change out old pens and pencils, restock them so they're full of goodies, etc.

Please post a reply here in the forums if you are interested.

rdw

Edited by rdw