Waterproof Container

I'm in the same situation. I've found a beautiful spot that simply begs for a submerged cache, but I'm not sure what type of container to use. I'm thinking a small ammo can with enough ballast might work. I've seen enough of those on these forums to know they keep out water better than most containers. I've ordered some online and when they arrive I'll give them each a submersion test, just to see which one has the best seal.

The one submerged cache I've done used a rubbermaid type drink cooler, (kinda like a Thermos), with a screw on lid, and a rubber seal. This was stuck inside a device which held it under water. The contents were wet, but the double bagged log was dry. The owner specified to only trade swag that could stand being wet. If my submersion test fails miserably, I might stick to a Thermos type container and just give the same warning.

You have to assume that your cache and contents will get wet, no matter what container you choose. So even if you do find a waterproof container, be sure to use waterproof writing paper for your log and only leave items that won't get ruined if wet.

Another way to do it is to submerge an object with coordinates on it pointing to a container nearby on dry land.

We have large battery canisters for underwater dive lights. These are expensive containers, but waterproof. HOWEVER, people simply will not take the time to carefully clean the gaskets and reseal properly! Ballast is another problem, as what's needed will vary with contents and water levels.

If your container ends up floating on the surface (after some clever cacher removes most of the contents and sticks in a big fluffy stuffed animal - ie air) expect it to get muggled.

In fairness to cachers, if the container is drug to the surface by a tether, it's going to be pretty dirty when it gets into their hands, and they're not likely carrying towels and enough bottled water to carefully clean it. And folks who haven't learned to scuba dive often have no understanding of ballast issues.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

What about a container that has an air pocket that the cache is attatched to. Rig a large bucket with velcro on the bottom, the cache itself is attachted to the velcro and then tie tethers to the "top" of the bucket and the tethers to a weight that will pull it under top down capturing an air pocket in the bucket, thus keeping the cache pretty dry. I would still use a pretty "water tight" container for the cache

Just a thought

There are a lot of great ideas out there,but you can't rely on the finders to put

the cache back the way it was intended.

You will spend a lot of time correcting things.

and they are only good for a part of the year if it freezes over where you live.

I like the idea of making a stage of a multi be under water better than the cache itself.

How about anchoring a length of 3 inch pvc pipe underwater ,and sticking in an old thermos bottle with a clue inside.

Geez, I just might use that myself.

It's pretty hard not to close it properly too.

Yep, most everbody will throw that latch down. But if they leave a twig or bit of leaf on the gasket it will leak. I've found a number of old ammo cans that aren't water tight, in all cases there was a dent in the gasket where someone shut it with some debris around the edge (the log baggie itself on one ocassion).

After working for a few years as a canoe and kayak porter/guide the only containers I have ever seen truly work as waterproof were thermos bottles and small rubbermaid/tupperware containers (usually a small within a medium sized). Everything else and I mean EVERYTHING else I've encountered with our customers (and staff) managed to get wet sooner or later. The biggest problem (other than debris in gaskets) that we ran into was that over time the lid and container continually change size with temperature and the difference in size of lid vs. container eventually caused a leak. My advice would be as above and make it part of the multi. Fox and I talked about this exact issue last week and decided a theme cache of water-proof items in a submerged cache with a dive tablet (for logging) would work best. Let everything get wet and just check the log often. I don't know how long the wateproof paper would hold up to molds/mildew, etc. Whatever you do, please post a link to your final solution. We'd love to see how it turns out! <_<

I have question on this. Has anyone tested anything yet? I have about 6 different containers I picked up that are sitting in my backyard with toilet paper in them to see how well they hold up. Been real rainy and with the drastic weather changes going on they are really getting tested. I go out and open them everyday to allow for field conditions. Anyone doing this with "waterproof" containers?

There are many micro containers that would stay watertight. Examples include bison tubes, and cryo tubes.

There have been ammo containers that have survived for considerable periods underwater (on purpose or otherwise). Obviously, with an underwater cache, you rely on finders to close up the cache correctly. Of course, the same is true about regular caches. :ph34r: